9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently changed around my rack and when plugging the firewire cable back in, I plugged it in the wrong way. Stupid I know, but I can't believe that it even let me (as opposed to usb which can only be plugged in one way). Anyway, now the unit will not sync. Is there away I can fix this? Look for a certain part that can be replaced? Schematic maybe? I feel sooooo terrible about this as this unit has done me well for years and I cannot afford to replace it with something new. Any ideas? Thanks!
by Karyn on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:34 pm
How hard did you have to force it to plug it in the wrong way? Firewire connectors are keyed and you should not be able to do that.

Does the computer still see the firepod? Have you tried a new cable? You may have damaged the conductors in the connector..

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by rhaigh on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:54 pm
The firewire connectors on the firepod are very flimsy and it takes no extra force to put it in the wrong way. The cable is fine. The firepod light goes to from blue to red when turned on, but it never goes back to blue. So I guess the computer does not see it.
by cristofe on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:10 pm
"The firewire connectors on the firepod are very flimsy and it takes no extra force to put it in the wrong way."

First of all, no. Compared to ANY other firewire connectors they most certainly are not any more or less robust. It's a DESIGN flaw. Presonus did not design this connector. How old is this unit? Have these "flimsy" connectors ever failed on their own? Unfortunately this mistake is possible with ANY firewire connector. You're certainly not the first to have done this. It's not impossible with firewire connectors.....USB is designed better to prevent this IMHO. Unfortunately, doing so reverses the pin order and usually fries the port of the unit in question. There is no easy user fix. You either need to have the unit replaced or send it to Presonus for repair. Although, I'm not sure that they can any longer service this unit as it has been discontinued for a LONG time. Parts may no longer be available.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by rhaigh on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 pm
I have other devices which have a much stronger and supported firewire connector than the weak, board supported ones on the firepod. But what's done is done. What I'm wondering, is if anyone knows what components typically get fried when this happens and if there is a schematic of this circuit around anywhere. Maybe build a new port.
by cristofe on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm
I don't know of any online. Try calling Presonus Tech Support.

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by matthewgorman on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:57 pm
FWIW, Presonus still provides service for the FIrepods. It a nominal flat rate bench fee, and includes a 12 month warranty post repair. This would be if you are located in the US. Outside the US, repairs are usually handled by the distributor.

You would need to contact tech support for current pricing.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by cristofe on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 am
Thanks Matt.....wasn't sure if they still serviced Firepods. :thumbup:

by codamedia on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:00 pm
I did this on my Firepod as well when I first bought it (used).

Luckily, there are two ports... I just plugged in (properly) to the second one and it syncs without a problem. Frying one port does not fry both (at least not in my case).

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort

9 posts
Page 1 of 1