3 posts
Page 1 of 1
so trying to route the effects loop (preamp out -> eq -> line in on the fp) yields no audio, but a decent amount of line hiss. this in spite of the manual saying 'yup, this is okay, go ahead!'

i was hoping to route things through the effects loop so i could hopefully eq everything running through the fp if i was so inclined, instead i'm not seemingly able to and can only route the main and cue outputs through my eq which works fine, but leaves me fully unable to shape the sound prior to recording in sonar

everything else appears to work fine, i don't know what the deal is here.
by Somersworth on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 am
tsukikenabi wroteso trying to route the effects loop (preamp out -> eq -> line in on the fp) yields no audio, but a decent amount of line hiss. this in spite of the manual saying 'yup, this is okay, go ahead!'

i was hoping to route things through the effects loop so i could hopefully eq everything running through the fp if i was so inclined, instead i'm not seemingly able to and can only route the main and cue outputs through my eq which works fine, but leaves me fully unable to shape the sound prior to recording in sonar

everything else appears to work fine, i don't know what the deal is here.

I just bought a FirePod. It is used but looks in good shape. I haven't tried hooking up an effects unit, but I did notice that the back panel seems a little confusing. Make sure that you cables are hooked up correctly. Channel 1 is all on the top. Channel 2 is all on the bottom. Inputs (returns) are all on the left. Outputs (sends) are all on the right. Since these connectors take precedence over the front panel 1 & 2 connectors, the front panel channels one and two connectors can not be used. So, my guess is they would be used after you have done all of your tracking. Another words during mix-down. Let us know what your status is after trying this.

Mark Allen, Somersworth, NH

Equipment:
StudioLive 24.4.2
FirePod
AT4035 mic
Bluebird mic
KRK Rokit 5 with matching subwoofer
MOTU 128
Roland Keyboard
Dreambow 3-PU Electric Guitar
A PC with plenty of speed and memory
some outboard equipment I can't part with because
software won't do it.

Software:
Windows 10
Studio One 2

Needed more time to work with what I have.
by tsukikenabi on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am
i had no real issue keeping track of channels, and have nothing plugged into the front 1&2 when testing this. it just doesn't ever seem to work like a proper effects loop. if i hook the out to the eq and then hook the eq output to my monitors i get audio, so thats working just fine, but sending anything in yields nothing. i couldn't find anything wrong inside when i opened it for inspection. hooking it up to my oscilloscope doesn't seem to show anything obviously toasted either.

i'm rather confused, since by all accounting it should more or less just work, given the eq signal impedance is within spec.

also tried plugging a guitar into 1 and trying it that way, with both the eq on one channel and then swapping for a pedal. i still get nothing. all inputs work as they should and i can record anything i want in sonar, but i cannot for the life of me get the input side of the effects loop working.

half tempted to actively finish building this xp box just to flash the latest firmware onto it and see if that fixes the issue.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1