10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am not sure, if this is the right area for my question, but here I go.

I have the Presonus Firepod (even before it was renamed FP10) and now I want to buy a new used computer (I have a PowerPC-Mac), so I'd like to know, what is the last Mac compatible with the Firepod.

I remember, that in the documentation for the Firepod etc. on this page, it said something about, that it would not be compatible with Mac OS Mountain Lion or something. Since the Interface interacts with Apples Core Audio, I wondered, if they only say this, because the newer Macs don't come with Firewire400 or even Firewire800 - and as far as I can remember Presonus told me, that it should not be a problem with the OS, but really because of the missing FW-port.

So, the Mac would have to have a Firewire800 port (to be used with a FW400-to-800 adapter) I'd guess.

Can I now take just any Mac that still has a Firewire-800-port?

I'd prefer a MacMini, secondly an iMac or third a MacBook/Pro etc.

Is there some advice you can give me and I might not have in mind at the moment.

Which is the lowest model generation (oldest) I should not go past? (Also refering upgradability: i.e. not to take an Intel-Mac Mini, that can't even run Snow Leopard already or doesn't support adobe-flash).

PS: strange, I feel very lost, the last time (mid 2014) I visited this forum it was grey or black in the background and I could find the fitting subforum easier. Also I think they had a "Mac OS" corner here. Hm... :?
by cristofe on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:13 am
FP10 Installer v5.13 - Mac
Control Panel for FP10 supports Mac OSX 10.3.7 - 10.7 Lion

Nothing beyond Lion is supported. But, as you pointed out, that may not mean that
you can't get it to work on a later OS using some type of workaround. I'm not a mac
guy but I've been able to get FP10's, FS 26x26 and Inspire's to work on Win8.1
which is also not "supported". ;)

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by Apfel on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:38 am
Oh, it is!!!

In the logicuser.de Forum a member runs an iMac and a Mini bia thunderbolt to FW800 to FW400 adapter.

Limitations:
Mac OS X 10.8 + Logic 8
Mac OS X 10.8 + Logic 9.0 and 9.1 with some restrictions
Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" + 9.1.8
Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" + ?

Now, he didn't try it with 10.10, but it would be very interesting. This is a concern for me, because I could get a compatible 2012 Mac Mini new from stock for a good price and the price for a 2014 Mini and a 2013 iMac (current) is not as bad either, because I get education/apple-on-campus rebate.

It is the last year I get edu-prices...

But, if it is not compatible I would have to get a new audio interface, which in the end will add 150-300eur on the bill.
by mwright137 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm
There's a difference between "got it working" and "supported by PreSonus".

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Apfel on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:57 pm
The person actually not just got it working, he works with it every day with no trouble.
It would be super cool, if Presonus could just try recording with the FP10 under 10.10 and Logic and afterwards run some effects on it. Shouldn't take long. They could just state, that they didn't do much further testing.
by cristofe on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm
It would be super cool, if Presonus could just try recording with the FP10 under 10.10 and Logic and afterwards run some effects on it. Shouldn't take long. They could just state, that they didn't do much further testing.

They would be setting themselves up for trouble. Unless they've written new drivers for the SPECIFIC OS in question, NO manufacturers do that sort of testing or issue such statements.
Users are on their own when it comes to using legacy devices with unsupported operating systems. I've gotten devices from several manufacturers to run on Win 8.1 that were not officially supported beyond XP....without any support or statements from their respective companies.

Of course, that's one of the great things about user forums.....WE can do that kind of
testing and make those sorts of statements.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

by mo12 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:13 am
Apfel wroteHi,

I have the Presonus Firepod (even before it was renamed FP10) and now I want to buy a new used computer (I have a PowerPC-Mac), so I'd like to know, what is the last Mac compatible with the Firepod.
{some stuff deleted ... ]

hello everybody,

for my part, I can say, that I have a MacMini Late 2013 running the most recent OSX ....
AND I have a really old FirePod that I bought at ebay. It is so old, I can't register it at the register hardware section of the Presonus Portal, they won't accept the serial #.

I connected both devices using a firewire 400 to 800 cable and it worked from the start. I.e. the MacMini recognized the FirePod as an input- / output-device.
Don't remember having to install any 'drivers' maybe yes, but I'm sure I had to when connecting the FirePod to my Windows 7/64 System.

So happy with this thing (even when ist's not registered). It worked always like charm first with GarageBand and since 2 days it does also with Studio One Pro.

Greetings from Germany,

mo

Presonus Studio One V2 pro, Presonus Firepod, Presonus Audiobox iTwo,
Behringer Mixer, 2 x NeuSonik 8" Control monitor, Audiotechnika Microphone,
Ipad Air, Mac Mini (Late 2013, QuadCore, 4GB Ram, 1GB FusionDrive)
by drumhead54 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 pm
Thanks! I too also got my Firepod/FP10 to work with my MacPro 2009. It sees it in OX 10.10.2
No more problems. I had made a mistake and had two firewire cables coming from my Firewood/FP10 to the MacPro 2009 and it was causing glitches. So far no problems!

Mac Pro 3.32 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OS X 10.10.2, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC, Presonus Firepod/FP10, Cubase Pro 8, Presonus Monitor Station, Presonus HP60
by damongrant on Mon May 04, 2015 2:17 am
I am interested to hear that you have managed to get the latest OS to recognise the Firepod mo. I have an FP10 and a Firepod and run a late 2012 Mac Mini. I have hesitated to upgrade in case i didn't manage to make them tap to each other. I am running OS 10.8.5. I am concerned that Apfel and others have not been able to make them connect but also interested that drumhead54 has managed to make this combination work. Because of this apparent lack of consistent results it's still makes me hesitate to upgrade my OS though…any ideas on why some people are managing this and others are not?

Thanks!

Damon from Melbourne, Australia

mo12 wrote
Apfel wroteHi,

{some stuff deleted ... ]

hello everybody,

for my part, I can say, that I have a MacMini Late 2013 running the most recent OSX ....
AND I have a really old FirePod that I bought at ebay. It is so old, I can't register it at the register hardware section of the Presonus Portal, they won't accept the serial #.

I connected both devices using a firewire 400 to 800 cable and it worked from the start. I.e. the MacMini recognized the FirePod as an input- / output-device.
Don't remember having to install any 'drivers' maybe yes, but I'm sure I had to when connecting the FirePod to my Windows 7/64 System.

So happy with this thing (even when ist's not registered). It worked always like charm first with GarageBand and since 2 days it does also with Studio One Pro.

Greetings from Germany,

mo
by bruceaitken on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:56 am
Is the FP10 PreSonus Interface compatible with iMac 21.5" 2021 ?
If not directly, with apple cables ?

Thanks.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1