3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have the FireWire to thunderbolt adapter.
I’m on OS X high Sierra.

How do I update the driver? I tried packaging the firmware updated with wine bottler but it doesn’t recognize the firepod (probably because it has no drivers).

What’s the quickest and easiest way to use the firepod as an 8ch stand alone preamp?

why this is proving tricky:
- I could find an old windows laptop but it won't have a firewire port
- I could bootcamp an old version of windows but it won't recognize my thunderbolt port
- I could bootcamp windows 7 but I'd have to buy windows 7 or pirate a copy, but stealing is bad and it's a lot of time investment to download, extract, make a bootable usb, install windows with bootcamp, install the Broadcom drivers, then finally update the FP.
- I could buy a G4 Mac for the update but I have no use for it and would be spending around $50 to update a driver.
by chrisprescott2 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:51 pm
Wondering if you ever figured out how to do this? I'm in the same situation.
by cristofe on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 am
The ONLY way to use a Firepod as a standalone preamp is to update it's firmware to FP10
status. The ONLY way to do that is with a Win XP pc.

- I could find an old windows laptop but it won't have a firewire port

That's simply untrue. MANY old off lease corporate Win laptops have firewire ports.
As in nearly the entire Dell Latitude and HP Elite series. I personally have several
Latitude e6410's. They are real workhorses.They not only have firewire ports but also
have pc express card slots. This allows you to add a top notch card with a Presonus
approved TI chipset but can also provide FW800 capability.

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW, make and model of your audio interface etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1