26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
EDIT: 11/18/2018 - This is also working for OSX 10.13.x (High Sierra) and 10.14.1 (Mojave)

EDIT : 12/3/2019 - Tested and working on macOS 10.15.1 Catalina

EDIT : 05/09/2020 - Tested and working on macOS 10.15.4 Catalina (See update notes at the bottom)

Edit: 1/04/2023 - Test installing Firecontrol on M1 Mac Studio running macOS Ventura and Monterey. Install for Firecontrol and Firestudio drivers not successful.

****** I cannot be responsible for any issues you may have so try this at your own risk******

Hi folks. I just wanted to chime in and fill you guys in on what I have found in my downtime with the 26x26 unit and the new Mac OS version.

Im glad to report that I have my trusty 26x26 running solid on both OS X El Capitan and Sierra.

Here is how I made it happen. Feel free to chime in with any info you may have on this subject.

Now lets get down to business!

1: (Super important) Start with a clean install of OS X either 10.11.X (El Cap) or 10.12.X (Sierra)
This means wiping your current system drive or testing with a spare drive you have lying around. Either way you are going to need to start the OS install from scratch.

2: Once you have OS X installed then go out and download/install all updates for the OS. lets get these updates installed and out of the way of making our trusty Firestudio 26x26 the king on this system. Update/reboot...repeat until all OS X updates are installed.

*****Please do not install any DAW software or hardware drivers yet********

3: Here is the technical part but it is very simple if you follow the instructions. We are going to disable "SIP" in OS X. This is the security feature that has been in OS X that keeps system files/folder secure unwanted or malicious applications.

Here we will disable SIP.
Restart your Mac.
Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
Terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
From the  menu, select Restart.

***** Incase you want to re-enable SIP but you will not need to as it is the issue******
(You can re-enable SIP by following the above steps, but using csrutil enable instead.)

Boom, that pesky SIP is now disabled and we can start to install our great 26x26.

Plug in the 26x26 unit to your mac via firewire. Power on the unit once it is plugged in.
Now head over to the Legacy products of Presonus website and download the FireControl for Lion installer. (Fire Studio 26x26)

Run the Fire Control installer while the 26x26 in plugged in and powered on to the mac.
Reboot the when the installer is complete. Do not try to access Fire Control surface before the reboot.

After the mac has booted back up and you have your trusty 26x26 plugged in to the mac and powered on and the sync light on the unit is solid blue you can now open Fire Control.

If Fire Control surface loads up and you can see the status and faders/ins/outs of the 26x26 unit you are in the house!

From here you can now install your DAW of choice and then plugins and so on.

I have my old 26x26 running flawlessly on my mac pro 3,1 8 core running 10.11 (El Cap) doing just this process.

I have this also working on my mac pro 5,1 running 10.12 (Sierra) with this very process.

Cheers and happy hacking to keep this great old workhorse (NAYYYY....26x26) trucking along.

-TK-

=======================================================================

UPDATE 5/9/2020:
If having issues installing this driver package on macOS 10.15.X make sure you 1: disable SIP first. 2: After disable SIP and rebooting once the mac is back up and you are logged in. Run a terminal session and type the following commands.

Type:

sudo mount -uw /

Then hit enter and you will be required to type in your mac's password.

Next type:

killall Finder

You should see all finder windows close quickly and reopen. After this you will get the message to "Install Anyway" when running the FireControl driver install. Reboot after install and enjoy running the Firestudio 26x26 on the latest macOS.
=======================================================================

Update 1/4/2023:

I picked up a new Mac Studio to replace the old MacPro over the weekend. It appears macOS 11, 12, 13 will not allow the Firecontrol package to install so it looks like the Firestudio 26x26 has officially retired.

I had a good run with the FS 26x26 unit for over 15 years so I will miss it. Now it is a M1 Mac Studio and a Studio 18|24c which work amazing together so far.

Thanks to everyone that has commented and I hope this helped you get some life out of your old FS 26x26 units.

-TK-
Last edited by tomorrowstk on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
by SammyD on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm
I'm completely blown away. This worked like a charm on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro running OS Sierra.

I searched the internet profusely and couldn't find a solution - even PreSonus themselves say this is not possible. So I was bummed when my Firestudio 26x26 became a paperweight...Not anymore!!

Thank you so much, TK!

Cheers!
Sam

P.S. I tried this without a fresh install of the OS and it still worked. Only thing I did was manually remove any and all files from PreSonus following this:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210045143-FireStudio-Family-How-do-I-Uninstall-Reinstall-my-FireStudio-drivers-on-a-Mac-computer-
by dk39 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm
Anyone know if this works for High Sierra too? Very encouraging news, thanks @tomorrowstk and @Sammy D :+1
by klypeman on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 am
:)

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by bobseekone on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 am
dk39 wroteAnyone know if this works for High Sierra too? Very encouraging news, thanks @tomorrowstk and @Sammy D :+1

Hi just upgraded my MacBook Pro from Yosemite to High Sierra and on first look it works with my Firestudio 2626 using these instructions. I did not do a fresh install, but the MacOS upgrade. I did however, have to re-install FireControl. I couldn't find this file on the PreSonus website anymore, but fortunately saved the .dmg when I downloaded it a few years ago.

Only tried 2 channels of output, but thus far worked OK! Will check input and more channels further, and test with the MSR later.

I really like this interface, and it would be too bad to have to get rid of it. So far, I'm pleased that it may be able to continue to work!
by geo242 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 pm
You are a genius!

I didn't even do a clean install and only reinstalled FireControl after running "csrutil disable" and it works like a charm.
by tomorrowstk on Sun May 20, 2018 5:35 pm
Wow!. I haven't checked out this thread in a really long time. I'm glad this is still working for everyone that has tried it.
by magnosgasparini on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 pm
Hello friends!

I am a happy user of PreSonus FireStudio 2626 like you.
Thanks for the tips, I'm running all right until the MacOs Mojave 10.14.6 system at the moment.

I wonder if anyone has already tested our "old" audio card on the MacOs Catalina 10.15 system.

Hug to everyone!
Long live the FireStudio 2626.

Magnos
Rio Grande do Sul / Brazil
by tonygardner on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:05 am
I cannot believe that I just read this!

I just spent the last three weeks reformatting an old HP ProBook laptop with a borrowed copy of Windows 7 just so I could comply with Presonus' O/S requirements to use my old 2626. Even worse, the on-board firewire port on the laptop didn't work, so I ended up installing a PCIE firewire card. And it was just last night that I did a big victory dance when Universal Control finally came up!

I will try this procedure on my 2007 MacBook Pro 17" running 10.11, but from all the posts, it sounds like a WINNER. Definitely preferable to the old HP since I already have everything else there.
by jonathonbell on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am
Thanks for sharing this info.

1. Is it possible that SIP need only be disabled while installing the FireStudio drivers, and can be re-enabled again after the drivers are installed?

2. Is it possible that disabling SIP is all that is needed to install Universal Control v1.7.6 under Catalina? If so, this might also allow the FireStudio Project to work on Catalina too.

Anyone know?
by dab_dhai on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:18 am
does this work on high sierra 10.13.6?
by tomorrowstk on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm
dab_dhai wrotedoes this work on high sierra 10.13.6?

Yes, it works with that version.

-TK-
by Jestervox on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 am
Hi, just bought Firestudio 26x26 second hand. I am running Catalina 10.15.5 Where do I download the software for this device please???
by tomorrowstk on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:58 pm
Jestervox wroteHi, just bought Firestudio 26x26 second hand. I am running Catalina 10.15.5 Where do I download the software for this device please???
The link is at the Top of the main thread for the Firestudio or get it here: https://www.presonus.com/products/FireStudio/downloads
by robmbrown on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 pm
For my Firestudio 26x26 in High Sierra and Mojave I did not find the above to work. Instead first uninstall everything, unit off using the Universal Control 176 driver https://www.presonus.com/products/FireS ... /downloads - it has a thorough uninstaller. Then reboot - unit off - hit cmd r after the boot tone to get into recovery mode, launch terminal and do the csrutil disable bit and reboot. Then install Universal Control 1.2.2715 Driver 3.5.5 which is under the snow leopard selection on the presonus site - https://www.presonus.com/products/firestudio/downloads - unit still off. Reboot and don't turn it on until reboot is done.
by magnosgasparini on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:15 pm
Hello my friends,

Anyone tested our Firestudio 26x26 in Big Sur 11.0?

I´m thinking do migrate from Mojave.

Thanks
by magnosgasparini on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:33 am
Hi,

I found this script that allows old PreSonus FireWire devices work on Big Sur.

I don't tested It at the momment.

https://github.com/colin-campbell/firestudio-catalina

Thanks for all
by magnosgasparini on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 pm
Captura de Tela 2021-03-09 às 23.03.45.png

Greetings,

With great joy I inform you that I managed to make our good old PreSonus FireStudio 2626 work on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.

I did a clean installation and, using Migration Assistence, I imported my settings and programs, including FireControl (installed on Mojave).

I went to the system security options and enabled PreSonus options that appeared there.

To my surprise, the blue light on the sign came on.

Long live our partner.

A hug from Brazil
by magnosgasparini on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 am
Hello friends,

After a couple of hours of joy and consistency, the line out stopped working. I used CleanMyMac X to clean system files and, in the process, some important file or authorization must have been deleted.

FireControl is no longer recognized.

We seek the solution.

Hug
Magnos
by magnosgasparini on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:04 am
Hello friends,

I did a clean install of BigSur once again and, again, imported my settings through Migration Assistence.

The FireStudio 2626 (FireControl) is now recognized by the system, however, there is no sound. It recognizes only the entries, but not the exits.

Every help is welcome. Has anyone tried?

A hug

26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2