4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Has anyone experienced this issue?

I was recording (or attempting to) acoustic guitar on my FireStudio project.

I had the gain knobs about 70% (2 o'clock) on channels 3 and 4. I was using to small diaphragm condensers, playing hard strummed acoustic guitar, about 8 inches from the mics. The gain meter's on the front of the firestudio project didn't register into the -6db region. Only the bottom led lit up on either channel. With the tracks armed in studio one, I was getting levels of about -6db. After recording however, they would only register about -16db or there abouts.

One of the main reasons I bought the interface was the reported excellent headroom on the preamps. I record a lot of subtle acoustic fingerpicked lines. What I'm experiencing with the strummed lines shows that finger style would barely register. I also tried with individual mics to see if it might be phase cancellation, but I got the same results.

I've logged this as an official support request, but was wondering if anyone had similiar issues?

Oh, and +48v power was on :D

Many thanks,
Niall.
by SPS on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 am
The gain on the project is much less than others.So, you are right about the feeling that you have to turn up the gain much more than you used to do. Nether-the less, the project is a very good sounding mic preamp! :)

Studio-live 16-4-2, Firestudio Project, Win-7 laptop with Firewire expresscard, Studio one producer, EV PA system, Sennheiser wireless headsets etc.
by sikaudio on Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 am
i have the same/similar issue with my fire studio project 10x10. i got it new, and its always been this way.

i've tried many different new mics and cables. ( i have about 20 microphones dynamic and condenser...also tried many cables)
i believe there is something wrong with my interface perhaps. :?
i've never had such low levels on these mics before.
the input gain is on FULL! thats also really weird to me.
never needed that much in gain on a mic on any interface or mixer before.
i was told in reviews and all the mic preamps are sweet, with headroom and sensitive.
i can't even get close to usable with this.
with this gain setting that high, there is no room for dynamics at all.
i have to get up on the mic grill for any signal, or there is none at all.
and with that, this means it clips really easily. its horrible!
as for my favourite thing to do, mic up my acoustic with my CAD condenser. . . no way!
horrific.

its a mystery to me.
i've spent dasy plugging in all kinds of different mics and cables. gain has to be up on the 9 - 10 (full) to have even close to normal signal. if i use the same mic and cable in my mackie desk, everything is fine and normal. with the gain around 4-5 at its sweet sensitive zone.

i've tried firmware reseting. power on / off. all the different inputs.

i'm running out of ideas. $700 i spent on this. i was thinking this was going to be my last interface for at least 4-5 years or more. but its un usable in my studio like this.

can anyone here please give me an idea of what your gain levels are set to, for your normal, standard vocal mic in. (to test i've been using the shure 57 and 58. also sennheiser E845s II...and a couple of CAD and MXL condensers. the condensers are even worse. also tested all these mics in my mackie desk...all work fine with normal mid range input gain setting )

thanks in advance for any ideas here. i don't have any shop to take this back to, i got it from eBay, a music shop in USA when the AUD/USD was sweet for import buys.

cheers.
N.

FIRESTUDIO project 10x10 interface.
Studio One 2.
Toontrack plugs.
by sikaudio on Wed May 11, 2016 11:37 pm
no one else here ever had this issue ? i've had two techies come and have a look at it, check the levels with condenser mics - they have confirmed the levels are far from up to where they should be. its impossible at the moment to track anything with a mic.

FIRESTUDIO project 10x10 interface.
Studio One 2.
Toontrack plugs.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1