9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have Firestudio project. My PC is an Intel Duo Core with 8 gigs ram. Running Win 7 Pro SP1.

It was working but I had some issues using it with Reason. I posted about this in detail here:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=22723

After discussion with an IT person I decided to reinstall Windows. I did so and it's seemed to work correctly, I am posting from the "blank" pc now. However when I went to install my Universal Control, well its installing but the firestudio is not syncing, light is staying red.

I saw in another post that someone found they had a bad cable but I want to run a few details here to see if that sounds even reasonable. I was running it last night until quite late and for a long time just fine. Except the slight trouble I mentioned that was happening with Reason only. It worked fine in all other cases. Even the reason issue seemed pretty cleared up as I had updated to the latest driver, that now won't install, but I just thought it could not hurt to reinstall windows and have a "clean slate"

Device Manager says the "IEEE 1394 Bus host controller" is working properly. I tried uninstalling that and then installing Universal Control but still no good. When I restart. the computer automatically installs a driver. Is the UC driver even supposed to go here? or is this just a basic system driver that works with the UC driver?

When i start Universal Control, it's not seeing the Firestudio I guess. No driver is loaded. it litterally says driver 0.0.0.0

But my PC DOES see the Firestudio, it's getting the name of it and listing it in Device Manager. Seems that it just doesn't know what to do with it. It's tried to install it as a sound device, and I get a driver install has failed message.

Man so frustrating! Any help greatly appreciated. Hardware fail just seems too coincidental. I have attached a screen cap showing the dialogs I am describing. Well I tried but the image upload does not seem to work. Hopefully the info as typed is enough but I can get it to someone if need be, just tell me where or how.

Thank you.
by matthewgorman on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:16 am
So the only thing that changed was re-installing the OS? No other hardware changes?

You can try and uninstall, then reinstall Universal Control. Make sure you are installing version 1.7.4. This is the last version that supports your device. After that, go back in to windows device manager under the IEEE devices. Change the driver for that to "Legacy", and see if that gets your syncing.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by eyetoof on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 am
Hi Matt -

Thank you for following up. So, I found these posts below which directed me to do pretty much exactly what you are saying. And I did it yet still ended up in a jam. ...and then I had to just go to bed. But here is are the links I found, what I did and place I am at now.

Got to use legacy driver for the firewire. (this worked)
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar ... tch-to-it-

Then I could follow the directions here, update driver. *without legacy driver the option was not available.
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar ... r-Windows-

BUT then I ran in to the problem that this next link describes ( at least I found something that said my experience was not unheard of ;) ) Though I am running Windows 7 Pro and I did not get the ok just install it anyway message...but here is the info.
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar ... y-is-this-

And here is the rub. I downloaded "Download Security Update 3033929" but when I tried to run it I got a windows dialog saying "searching for updates on your computer" with a churning progress bar that i could tell was never going anywhere. And it never did.

SO then I tried just tried to "make sure you have done all necessary updates on Windows 7 by enabling Windows Security Updates" That also just churned, I went to bed. This morning my machine had gone to sleep and made no progress beyond where i left it.

So, now I have to figure out how to get the security updates to take.... I will report back what I learn or look forward to any insights someone can offer.

Almost there.... good news is my machine is running more smoothly now with the OS reinstalled. :)! I think he legacy driver may have been what I needed all along so 2 steps forward 1 back..

Thanks!
by matthewgorman on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 pm
Good deal. You probably long ago switched to the legacy driver, and forgot that step when reinstalling the OS. Once you get everything updated to current on the OS, you should be fine.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by eyetoof on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 pm
Well... yeah but I cant get the security update to install, so I can't get the driver to install so I am still stuck.

Any idea about how to get that to happen? I am at work now where I have better internet I could download a big file and bring it home. Though the small file I downloaded didnt work either. I think there must be a setting that allows for the updates to be installed.

And to be clear the setting described in the post about enabling updates was already automatically on. So somewhere else the culprit lies.

Yea I figure the legacy driver got installed sometime in the past too.

more news at 11.
by eyetoof on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:20 pm
Update for those who may ever find this thread when working on the same issue, we found this note:

"Customers who download and install updates manually and who are planning to install both updates should install the 3035131 update before installing the 3033929 update"

and here is where 3035131 can be gotten (as of this writing) I still need to try it at home though not sure I will get the chance tonight. I will post how it goes. Thanks very much for all help so far, nice to see that Presonus did have these articles available or I would have been lost.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=46009

peace!
by eyetoof on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 am
It took a number of trys. Running the updates would get hung "Scanning for updates on this computer" It's a pretty widely reported struggle.

One post I saw said to end the process in taskmanager. Then find the Windows update service and say "stop". Then try running the standalone update again. I had tried it before but finally it did in fact work.

Honestly I am not sure what made it finally work. I had also run the general "Check for updates" overnight but it had only just churned on the "searching for updates on this computer" no evidence anything had been downloaded etc.

Once I got the two security updates installed the driver loaded up just fine and the Firestudio is working. It SEEMS like the clicks and pops in reason that started all of this are gone now too with the system reinstall. I have not been able to test extensively yet but things seem promising.
by eyetoof on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:19 pm
I did a long recording last night and it was pop and click free. YES!
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 pm
Nice. Congrats

Matt

S1Pro V5

9 posts
Page 1 of 1