6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Will being purchasing the fire studio project soon and I own a mac with a fw800 connector. There is only one of these. I want to use an external hd @ 7200 rpm. I am having difficulty finding good info on how best to connect these up. I was thinking of fw hdd but if y’all recommend a usb hdd I will consider that also. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
by cristofe on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 am
Well, the best solution is a second internal hard drive. But if that is not an option a USB drive will work just fine.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by joekuhn on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:22 am
What would the connection sequence be? That is where I am confused.
Joe in Mobile
by mwright137 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm
It's not recommended to daisy chain a drive with the FireStudio Project. If you have a Thunderbolt port, I'd spend the $29 and get the Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter and hook them each to their own port.

What Cristofe was suggesting was using an external USB drive instead of FireWire. I've done this with some success, but you can do less tracks. I never to more then 16 tracks and I'm ok with USB.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by joekuhn on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:01 pm
So the connection would be fire studio -fw- mac -usb- ext hd?
by mwright137 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:23 pm
You're maybe looking at it wrong. The computer is more of a "hub" and connects to both the FireStudio Project and the external hard drive. Yes, the data will travel from the FireStudio Project to the drive, but it's more of a situation where the computer is reading one and writing the other than the data going from the FireStudio Project through the computer to the drive. The drive doesn't see the FireStudio Project nor does the FireStudio Project see the drive. The computer does all the work.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

My Website

6 posts
Page 1 of 1