9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Ok, so this may be buried somewhere on this forum already, but I never did run across it in my extensive google searching to fix this problem. So, I figure I will post up the problem I encountered with my MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt only ports and the "fix." It's a basic thing but worth posting since its somewhat unintuitive.

So, I obviously have a Firestudio Project and a MacBook Pro with only Thunderbolt ports. I buy the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple. However, the supplied Firewire cable from Presonus is six pins on both sides and the adapter from Apple accepts 9-pin. So, being that I am pumped up to use my new equipment, I suck it up and head to the BestBuy to buy a new Firewire cable (at a hefty premium) so I can get to recording ASAP. First I buy the Rockfish one. It is 9 pin on both sides with an adapter that converts to 6 pin. In theory, this will work. However, no luck.. it's as if my MacBook thinks nothing is connected. Perplexed, I do a bunch of searching and really don't find much. I did find one post that said something about the RocketFish cable being junk and not working. So, off to BB to exchange for the Insignia one. Same configuration with the adapter, same problem. More searching reveals a post deep down that says the adapter on the cable is the problem. Skeptical, but out of options, I order up a cable on Amazon that is recommended on some other post here. (It has no adapter - it's the correct 6 pin on one side, 9 pin on the other). Impatiently, two days of waiting, UHG! It arrives, plug it in, and viola! That was it!!! Couldn't believe it! Not sure what the cables with the adapters are doing wrong but obviously you have to use one that DOES NOT have the adapter on it.

Anyway, posting this up because I feel like someone else might be in this same position given the fact that BestBuy is the ONLY place you can find any Firewire cables anymore and others might be impatient like me and go with that option and think there is a problem with their Firestudio. Hope this helps!
by cristofe on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am
Thanks for sharing....yeah, in my experience, Rocketfish is junk. And, on top of that, all firewire cables are not created equal either. I've bought some new cables that had the proper connectors on both ends that simply did not work but when I replaced them with a known good brand all was happy chocolates. :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by warda on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:19 pm
Thank for this I'm currently having the same issue with the Insignia right now. To be clear having and firewire cable that's 6pin on one side and 9 pin on the other?
by SwitchBack on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:47 pm
Make sure you get a BILINGUAL FW400-to-FW800 cable (check the cable specs to make sure). If the cable isn't bilingual it won't work.
by Hagrid on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 pm
Hi,

I would like to use the Thunderbolt interface on my iMac instead of the Firewire port. The reason why is because I don't use the Thunderbolt and would like to dedicate it to the FireStudio Project. This would free up my Firewire port to use for backup drives.

So here are my questions:

1. Does using the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple with the 6 to 9 pin solution work well?

2. Is it stable?

3. Do you notice any speed improvements?

4. Do you see any latency improvements?

5. Could you list the brand and cable model that you got from Amazon?

Thanks,

Rick

--
Setup: FireStudio Project, StudioOne V3 Pro, Universal Control 4.1.3.17357, iMac 16GB RAM - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Polish comes from the cities; wisdom from the desert--Arrakeen villager saying.
by nredmon on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:08 pm
Thanks for the help. Evidentally, I'm not alone. Can you provide a link to this particular adapter? I just got the firestudio project for Christmas and I'm a bit pissed that Presonus makes this so difficult on it's customers. It should be a simple process. bleep!!

MacBook Pro, 2.9Ghz Intel Core i7, OSX Yosemite v 10.10.1, Studio One Artist 2 v2.6.5, Ableton Live v 8.4.2, Presonus Firestudio Project
by kensherwood on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:20 am
nredmon wroteThanks for the help. Evidentally, I'm not alone. Can you provide a link to this particular adapter? I just got the firestudio project for Christmas and I'm a bit pissed that Presonus makes this so difficult on it's customers. It should be a simple process. bleep!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this might help ya:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1704&p=9137#p9137

You might wanna read the entire thread? Kinda outta my league ...

Anyway, HTH.

• Studio One 3.0.0.33329 Professional
• Early 2009 Mac NOT "MAC"* Pro dual 2.26, 16 GB RAM, OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
• Dual Dell 2408WFP (1920x1200 px) monitors
• Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 6TB SoftRAID array
* https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mac.html
by davedoty on Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 pm
Using PreSonus FireStudio with Apple Thunderbolt 3

As an FYI, I am using my PreSonus FireStudio with firewire output/input into Thunderbolt 3 on an iMac Pro 2017 running Catalina.
Software: I manually installed the Kexts needed (using Pacifier to open and show the Kexts, etc. in the Presonus installer).
Hardware: I use a firewire 800 to 400 adapter, into an Apple Thunderbolt 2 adapter, then into an Apple Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Maybe $80 in cables. I have have Phantom Power working too.

I wanted to test this cable solution out because I am buying an Apple M1 soon and wanted to know if I had to 'upgrade' my two perfectly fine FireStudio interfaces.
by SwitchBack on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:29 am
Pay close attention to the M1's port specs. AFAIK the TB4 ports on them don't support FireWire anymore.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1