2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I would like to discuss how best to setup my equipment so that I can do the following:

1. Listen to my drums in my headphones while playing (with compression, EQ, etc.) without latency
2. Listen to the song that I am playing to from iTunes in my headphones at the same time

I know this all sounds simple, but for whatever reason I can't make it work. The main problem I am having is having more than 4 tracks setup for Zero Latency. So what is happening is that I can't add more than 4 tracks without Zero Latency breaking and I mean breaking bad.

I have a fairly new iMac 27" and all my software is up to date including Studio One V2. My Device Block Size is 64 Samples, Process Precision is Single (32 bit) and output latency shows 2.61 ms/115 samples. Sample rate is 44.1 kHz and Bit Depth is 32. Use CPU Cores is set to use 3 of my 4 processors.

Currently, I have a Cue mix on output 7 & 8 which goes to my headphone amplifier. I tried setting up the Cue mix to see if that would help with the Zero Latency being unstable, but it didn't help.

So the two issues are:

1. Zero Latency issue
2. How to listed to iTunes at the same time in my headphones when playing

Best,

Rick

--
Setup: FireStudio Project, StudioOne V3 Pro, Universal Control 4.1.3.17357, iMac 16GB RAM - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Polish comes from the cities; wisdom from the desert--Arrakeen villager saying.
by Hagrid on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:16 am
UPDATE:

To solve the second issue of listening to my iTunes while playing and listen to my drums in my headphone with effects; I took the headphone output from my iMac (stereo mini-jack) to dual 1/4" jacks and plugged them into inputs 7 and 8 on the front of the FSP. Now I have left and right stereo feeds coming into Studio One V2 on tracks 7 & 8. I created a bus for those two tracks so that I can control them with one slider. That works nicely.

As for the first issue regarding latency; overall, the Zero Latency (option) is just unstable and unpredictable and I can't get it to work with any reliability. I guess I just don't understand it. But, since my goal is to listen to my drum mix and iTunes while playing, I was able to reduce the Output Latency to 1.88 ms/83 samples by setting the Device Block Size to 32 samples. The Input Latency is 4.10 ms/181 samples. This works okay and the latency is very minor.

I did create a bus for my 5 drum micophones (Tracks 1 through 5) and that works well.

All the tracks (drums and iTunes) are on a Cue mix that goes to Output 7 & 8 which to go to my headphone amplifier.

All that seems to work well...

I would still like to know more about why the Zero Latency options are so unpredictable or if there is a better way to make this work.

-Rick

--
Setup: FireStudio Project, StudioOne V3 Pro, Universal Control 4.1.3.17357, iMac 16GB RAM - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Polish comes from the cities; wisdom from the desert--Arrakeen villager saying.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1