19 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, I have been using both of my daisy chained FireStudio Projects for several years now with the same 13" MacBook Pro. I now have a newer 15" MacBook Pro and it has two usb ports but no firewire… (and there is no PCMCIA or Expresscard slot either)…

So here is the main question: Is there any way this new setup can work with somehow connecting the daisy chained firewire interfaces through a usb or two? I have researched this as much as my tired eyes can at the moment and I keep finding both answers. I love my FireStudio Projects and would rather keep them.

Also, if this is a definite no… then how can I get two AudioBox 1818VSL's to work together? Basically looking for a 16 (or more) input setup that is as close to what I already have. Are there any other alternatives? Please and thank you!!!

I apologize if this has already been posted/answered, I must have missed it.
Last edited by Sneezus on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by mwright137 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 pm
No USB to FireWire adapter will work for audio streaming.

Does the new MacBook Pro have Thunderbolt? The Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter will do the trick for $29.

On the AudioBox 1818VSL, you can't chain two but you can use something like the DigiMax D8 to get it up to 16 inputs.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by cristofe on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 am
On the AudioBox 1818VSL, you can't chain two but you can use something like the DigiMax D8 to get it up to 16 inputs.

I know that two 1818's can't be chained but I was under the impression that two 1818's could be used together on a Mac as an aggregate device under Core Audio....tho I've also heard that this
is far from ideal.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by mwright137 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:34 pm
It might be possible, but the DigiMax is $100 cheaper than getting a second 1818 so I would go that route.

StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

My Website
by Sneezus on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:25 pm
mwright137 wroteDoes the new MacBook Pro have Thunderbolt?

Yes, it does. It actually has 2. I didn't mention it because I know nothing about it. So, with the Thunderbolt/FirWire adapter I can keep my current setup?

mwright137 wroteOn the AudioBox 1818VSL, you can't chain two but you can use something like the DigiMax D8 to get it up to 16 inputs.

Thank you for the information and insight! As well as trying to save me money :thumbup: You my friend are a keeper

Computer: 15" MacBook Pro: OS X 10.8.5, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory.
PreSonus: Studio One 2 Pro (2.6.5.30360), FireStudio Project (x2), FaderPort.
Drums: Black Pearl Vision 7 Piece set w/ Meinl & Zildjian Cymbals, Vinnie Paul Signature Pearl Snare Snake-skin wrap.
by mwright137 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:45 pm
Yes, the Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter works great.

My Website
by Sneezus on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:59 am
Thank you very much!!! Ordering one and will be operational soon!

Drums: Black Pearl Vision 7 Piece set w/ Meinl & Zildjian Cymbals, Vinnie Paul Signature Pearl Snare Snake-skin wrap.
by cristofe on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 am
:thumbup:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

by Sneezus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:02 pm
Sad news, I have ordered the thunderbolt/firewire adapter but it is not working. The adapter works, just not the overall setup. When I connect the adapter by itself, the computer does recognizes it in the System Report. Though, when I connect the FireStudio Projects (either daisy chained as I originally have it or individually/separate) the System Report says there is no device connected as if nothing is plugged in at all.

I have contacted customer support and I have walked them through everything that I have as a setup and everything that I have done, and now they want me to send the projects in and pay for them to have the firewire sync set replaced. Even though, everything still works just fine when I plug it into the old computer.

Frustrated and fed up. Not sure what I should do.

by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 pm
Did you load Universal control (from the website, not the disc in the box)? Verified that the cables are ok? Is the adapter bilingual? It won't work if it isnt. Same for the cables. They need to be bilingual, and stated as bilingual, for it to work.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Sneezus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:17 pm
The firewire cable works just fine when hooked up to the older computer so I assume that it is bilingual but the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter doesn't say anywhere on it,vor the packaging, that it is bilingual.

I just remembered that I have an external hard drive that has firewire… I plugged it in through the adapter and it works just fine. So it has officially been confirmed that it is not the adapter. Now, the real question is, is it the Universal Controller or is it the firewire sync set that the technical support guy thinks it is…

Yes, I downloaded and installed every applicable Universal Controller individually that would work for my version of OSX Mountain Lion and restarted my computer and everything, each and every time, and still no results.

by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:35 pm
The firewire cable works just fine when hooked up to the older computer so I assume that it is bilingual but the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter doesn't say anywhere on it,vor the packaging, that it is bilingual.

Just so we are on the same page. You need 2 different cables to make this work. to connect the 2 FSP together, you need a regular firewire 400-400 cable, no bilingual needed. Then you will need a 6 pin to 9 pin bilingual cable to go from the second FSP to the Apple adapter. Adapter to the thunderbolt port, done. Bilingual needs to be used when changing protocols, so adapter and cable need it. If you purchased the Apple Adapter, and not 3rd party, I believe that they are all bilingual.

At this point, follow the direction from tech support.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Sneezus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:26 pm
Correct, the cables and connections you described are correct.

Why does the firewire sync set need to be replaced if it works just fine with the older computer?

What I am afraid of is having to send it in for repair when it isn't broke. My main concern is, after paying $85per (double since there is two), sending them the units, and then waiting, what if the problem persists? Or worse, doesn't work on any computer. What if it is the Universal Controller? Maybe they just haven't gotten all the bugs fixed or something? I am all for trying whatever it takes to get this problem taken care of, but I am also not made out of money.

Another aspect could be to sell them and get a newer, more up-to-date interface(s)… but I really like the FSP

by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm
Tell us a bit about the older computer, and the steps you have taken with it. Firewire connection, chipset, os, etc.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Sneezus on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:48 am
The older computer is a Mac OS 10.6.8
I have added a .rtf file of the system profile for this.

This computer had the Universal Controller installed from the disk that came with the first FSP interface that I purchased. First interface was bought new in spring of 2010, I believe this older MacBook Pro was bought in the fall of 2010 also new. The second interface was bought used in summer 2011.

Each interface will connect individually to the older computer, as they should.
But the only way they will connect via daisy chained is this...
First cable: Computer>Older Interface port2; Second Cable: Older interface port1> Newer Interface port2.
I cannot put the newer interface before the older one or change the order of the ports in any other series.

I hope I wrote this clear enough for it to be understood.

My concern is why would either of my interfaces need to be sent in to be fixed when they are working fine with my old computer, just not the new computer. They are putting a red flag on the product, but my red flag comes up on the computer side (such as maybe the Universal Controller).

For the newer computer I first used the original disk for installing UC, restarted everything, and then tried it out. Nothing. Of course because it was for an older OS.
So then I went online and tried every update for this newer computer's OS, restarted everything each time, and tried using the FSP between each time to hopefully find the one that would work. Nothing still.

So far... my interfaces still work just fine, they still work with my older computer, my newer computer does not recognize either interface (individually or daisy chained). My conclusion is perhaps none of the UC updates work with my computer/setup somehow and it would cost them time/money to create a fix/update for the UC so they would rather have me pay to have my hardware sent in to replace what they guess could be a problem. Or I'm just over thinking all of this and sounding like a conspiracy theorist... :roll:

Attachments
MacBook Pro.rtf
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 572817 times

by matthewgorman on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:16 am
I think at this point you should put yourself in the good hands of support. As I understand it, you have a ticket waiting for response. I understand that you may be questioning the need for it, but I think its the quickest way to a resolution. Not to mention that if you go ahead with the repairs, each repaired unit gets a new 12 month warranty.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Sneezus on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:29 pm
Yes, I have a ticket open but they still won't tell me why it needs to be replaced if it still works or what happens if it doesn't fix the problem. I suppose I have no other choice but to have this done. Thank you very much!

by chrisgregg on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:04 pm
I am using a Firestudio Projects and an 1818 aggregate in my mac mini. All the channels work but no Zero Latency available in Studio one version three.
by MarkusHassold on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:01 am
Zero latency only works within one interface. It's point is the avoiding of AD-DA conversion, which apparently takes place when connected in the digital domain.

MacBookPro 16" M1-Max 32 GB RAM 24C-grafics 1TB, using a 32" Samsung 4K display with Presonus Quantum 2626
MacOS 14 Sonoma (always latest version)
External harddiscs Samsung T7 or Sandisc Extreme USB-C or WD-Black 3.5" - 7200 rpm on USB 3.0 (connected via OWC-TB-4-dock)

Presonus Studio One Pro 6.X (latest version);
Celemony Melodyne Studio 5; Softube Console1 MK II (always latest versions)
PreSonus Faderport 8, PreSonus Atom, Atom SQ

19 posts
Page 1 of 1