10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have a quiet but perceptible high pitched noise in my headphone and speaker output.

I tested it and it doesn't appear that the high pitched noise gets picked up during recording.

Also, the usual sound that comes out the speakers or headphones when I turn the Project off has become much 'thumpier'.

As it stands right now, especially since it doesn't get imprinted on the recording, it's not such a big deal, but I use this a lot for work and I'm really concerned that it will get much worse or just up and die with little warning.

I ask the forum for help because my Firestudio Project is way way way out of warranty and so I'm thinking of taking to an electronics repair place but it would be nice to know if someone else had this or a similar problem and could point me to what it likely can be attributed to.
by matthewgorman on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 am
Its not an issue that have really see over the years, but it may be something I have just overlooked.

As far as out of warranty repairs go, Presonus charges a flat rate bench fee which includes return shipping charges. User pays the bench fee plus the cost to send to Presonus (domestic US repairs only). You then get a fresh 12 month warranty on the unit.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by cristofe on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:43 am
LOTS of things can introduce noise.....it may just be interference from something else plugged into your ac.......or some other device plugged into your pc's usb or firewire busses. Make sure you've eliminated all other possible sources of noise before you spring for a repair that may not be needed.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by denoveri on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:58 pm
Sometimes, this is caused by feedback from the inboard mic & speakers.
by SPS on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 am
denoveri wroteSometimes, this is caused by feedback from the inboard mic & speakers.

I own a FS project too, but I must have overlooked the inboard mic and speakers until now! :mrgreen:

Studio-live 16-4-2, Firestudio Project, Win-7 laptop with Firewire expresscard, Studio one producer, EV PA system, Sennheiser wireless headsets etc.
by rokko101 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am
I used to have a FSP that had the same problem: Hight pitched digital noise on outputs (and sometimes distortion at 44.1).
It was a hardware problem as the replacement was ok. I think you should contact Presonus or a technician.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by gabrielsmith5 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:00 pm
Hi we are experiencing the High pitched noise as well with the presonus central station plus unit. Its only a few months old :( It has been noisy since we got it and fear that this is the norm for the unit?

Right now the high pitch noise seems to come, and go but in past experience when this starts it slowly gets worse. Wrote tech support and will see what they say.
by peatduggins on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm
I just purchased the Studio 192 and immediately noticed a terrible high pitched whine.
It seemed obvious that it was the unit since the problem never existed before and began the instant I first turned it on.
However, I thought I should do my do-diligence, so I tried different USB cables, different USB ports, different software (Abelton Live, Garage Band, Audition), different outputs (headphone vs amp).

With all the variables, the whine is always there when I use the Studio 192, an not there when I use something else. I just installed the newest drivers/firmware, and no improvement. My system:
MacPro OS x 10.9.5.

Any suggestions?

One "workaround": the whine is a constant volume...it is unaffected by the volume control on the unit, so rather than keeping the unit's volume set in the middle and turning my amp up. I max out the unit's volume thus increasing the signal-to-noise ratio and turn my amp down accordingly. This works acceptably at normal listening volume but will not work when I need to turn up the overall (amp) volume.
by roymerchant on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:28 am
Did anyone get to the bottom of this? I need to get this sorted and obviously don’t want the studio volume knob out of action for too long. If I had an idea of what the issue is I can book it in and out quickly.

R
by jjmdeboer on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:47 am
Hi,

Have you tried investigating if it comes from interference in your electricals? When you have a lot of device connected to the same outlet, that might result in static interference. Try unplugging some devices like monitors etc.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1