11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Recently I bought the Firestudio Mobile and I am looking for the best way to connect my band.
There's two guitars, one bass, a Roland vDrum and one singer. I was told it should be possible with this device. Connecting a guitar to a line level input does not really give much sound. I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to improve this.
Thanks in advance.
by lopbunny on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:12 pm
Ive got the mobile myself and run 8 channels on it. You've got some options but not for what you currently need with JUST the FS mobile. The FSM has two mic/instrument in's on the front. You can direct in your two guitars into that or one guitar and bass. Or one guitar and one vocal. The line level in's on the back want to see a signal much stronger than instrument. You need to boost whatever you put into those somehow. Use the good old signal strength acronym: MILS. Mic, Instrument, Line, Speaker.

I use three two channel mic preamps with mine. Effectively giving me 8 channels of input to the FSM. You could use a mic pre and mic up cabinets or find one with instrument in to get the two guitar/ bass inputs. Conversely, if you don't have that option, if you have a mixer mic up the cabinets and run the line outs of the mixer into the line ins of FSM. To keep the tracks separate pan them hard left and right on the mixer and run the left right of the mixer into two line ins on the FSM. The keys/drum machine should have a line outs on the back and those would go right into the line ins of the FSM. If they done have line outs you gotta find some other way, mixer, preamp etc.

Lots of ways to get more inputs for sure. Hit me up if you'd like to talk other options! You could also just record the band wit one mic in the room and use the second input for the vocals.

Cheers

Macbook Pro, S1 Pro, various 3rd party plugs, Firestudio Project x2, Aphex 207, Heil, Shure, Oktava, MXL, Sennheiser & Blue mics. And other stuff
by zemud on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 am
Tanks Iopbunny. That was a very clear explanation. I'm going to experiment with different preamps and see which fits my needs best. As soon as I have any positive results I'll post them for further use.
:+1
Cheers
by cristofe on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm
Even just a couple of decent DI boxes would get you up and running. :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by zemud on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 am
Thanks Cristofe, I'll try that road too.
by cristofe on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:02 am
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by lopbunny on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 am
Glad to be of help! Another easy way and darn good sounding IMO....if you can get your hands on an old Mackie 1604. Work horse of a mixer to be sure! The first 8 channels have direct outs. This would give you the preamps you need with the ability to tweak the sound going in with eq or outboard inserts. Also makes a fine PA mixer. Ive owned one for 15 plus years and is still going strong. I only suggest the older one because you should be able to find one for under 200. The new models are more like 700.

Macbook Pro, S1 Pro, various 3rd party plugs, Firestudio Project x2, Aphex 207, Heil, Shure, Oktava, MXL, Sennheiser & Blue mics. And other stuff
by zemud on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:29 am
Something like a Mackie CR-1604?
by lopbunny on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:49 pm
Yup. Thats only got 8 mic pre's but does have the direct outs. Should work great!

by jonljacobi1 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:20 pm
Why are you not using the front instrument inputs?
by zemud on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:58 am
The front inputs are already in use by a bass guitar and mic. There's two more guitars in the band. But I recently solved the issue by buying 2 pre-amps. It works fine now.
I must admit to forgetting to post this. Sorry for the delay and thanks everyone for the input.
;)

11 posts
Page 1 of 1