6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi.

My equipment: MacBook Air with one Thunderbolt and two USB 3.0 connections; Presonus Firestudio Mobile; Audio-Technica 2020 Condenser Microphone.

As you know, the FSM only has a FW400 out (x2). I have a cable that goes from FW400 male on one end to FW800 on the other end. I have a FW800-to-Thunderbolt adapter. I plug the FW400 end into the FSM; I plug the FW800 end into the FW800 female end of the adapter; I plug the Thunderbolt male end of the adapter into my MBA Thunderbolt connection; I plug the AT2020 into the mic input on the FSM using an XLR cable; I press the phantom power button on the FSM, and the blue light comes on; however, the mic gets no phantom power.

All the devices have been proven to work fine with other computers that have FW800 connections. The FSM is plugged in via the power supply.

All I can think of is that the problem lies with the combination of the FW400-to-FW800 cable and the FW800-to-Thunderbolt adapter. I have looked on the Presonus web site, and they say that to go FW to Thunderbolt you need to use the FSM power supply, which I am using.

Two questions, one practical, the other philosophical.

Practical Question: What is going on, and how do I fix it?

Philosophical Question: Why on earth is Presonus still outfitting its FSM with only FW400 connections?

Thanks.

Paul
by cristofe on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:40 am
Why on earth is Presonus still outfitting its FSM with only FW400 connections?

For the same reason other manufacturers are doing the same thing. It is not as simple as you're making it sound. Rarely do manufacturers add or remove hardware features to currently manufactured products. Sometimes it's simply not possible without a complete re-design.
I'm sure we'll eventually see NEW products featuring FW800 and/or Thunderbolt.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by williamviau on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:50 pm
Me too I have a MacBook Air with thunderbolt. What I do :

Mac --> Thunderbold to FireWire 9pin --> Adapter 9pin to 6pin --> Original Firewirecable from presonus --> FS Mobile.

Works like a charm.
I use it more for Live application with Universal Control.. but I tried to record with S1 and it does work too.

(And I also use AT2020)

William Viau
Macbook Air
Mac Pro - 2x Intel Xeon and 16GB Ram
Firestudio Mobile
Behringer X32
SM57, AT2020 Condenser
etc.
by Fezzler on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm
williamviau wroteMe too I have a MacBook Air with thunderbolt. What I do :

Mac --> Thunderbold to FireWire 9pin --> Adapter 9pin to 6pin --> Original Firewirecable from presonus --> FS Mobile.

Works like a charm.
I use it more for Live application with Universal Control.. but I tried to record with S1 and it does work too.

(And I also use AT2020)

The data speed is still, understandably, limited to the FW capabilities. Right?
by williamviau on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:28 pm
It is the same as if you plug it directly to a FireWire plug on your computer.
In other words, no latency.

William Viau
Macbook Air
Mac Pro - 2x Intel Xeon and 16GB Ram
Firestudio Mobile
Behringer X32
SM57, AT2020 Condenser
etc.
by matthewgorman on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:04 pm
Make sure the FW 400-800 cable is Bilingual or it will not work. Not all cables are.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

6 posts
Page 1 of 1