14 posts
Page 1 of 1
I want to use my firestudio mobile with my new laptop. It does not have a firewire port but it does have an Express slot.I bought in Express card with FireWire ports on it and My laptop said it was ready to be used but when I connected my audio interface it could not be read by my studio one software. The blue light on the interface just kept blinking.is there a suggested alternative without having to buy a USB interface? The laptop I am using is a Dell e6420 14" core i5 2520m, windows 7 pro 64 bit.
Thx for your time.
Anthony.
by cristofe on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:04 pm
First of all there is no such thing as a USB to Firewire adapter. Secondly, not all PCIe Firewire cards are created equal......some chipsets are not compatible with Presonus,(& other brands), of audio devices. Make sure you use a card with an approved chipset:

http://www.presonus.com/uploads/products/media/files/PreSonus_FireWire_Chipset_Compatibility_7-25-12.pdf

I have a Dell Latitude e6410 and use a Dynex firewire card and it works just fine with my Firestudio. ;)

Oh....and BTW....maybe it's not the card.....did you install the latest drivers from this site and, if so, are you sure that they installed properly?

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by click on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 pm
Thank you Cristofe
by cristofe on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:30 pm
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by roblof on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:35 pm
cristofe wroteFirst of all there is no such thing as a USB to Firewire adapter.

To be extra clear. Such adapters does exist but they exist for a specific purpose, not applicable to our type of gear.

Some equipment, mostly consumer cameras, have a firewire connector and you can connect this to your firewire port on your computer. So far, so good...

However, they implemented a nice little feature in that kind of an equipment. They added an usb port - Into the same firewire connector! By autosensing your computer it could then autoswitch between firewire and usb. Hence the firewire-->usb adapter.

So this type of an adapter is nothing more than a simple wire-for-wire connector.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by cristofe on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm
So this type of an adapter is nothing more than a simple wire-for-wire connector.

And therefore useless to the OP which is exactly why I didn't mention it. :roll:

by roblof on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:20 pm
cristofe wrote

And therefore useless to the OP which is exactly why I didn't mention it. :roll:

The problem is that they google it and find the 'non-existing' adapter. I think that It is better to say that it isn't compatible rather that it doesn't exist..

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by cristofe on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:43 pm
You've got a point there......I made that mistake once myself. :mrgreen:

by roblof on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:22 pm
cristofe wroteYou've got a point there......I made that mistake once myself. :mrgreen:

I was just a split hair from doing it myself once :oops: . Fortunetly my adhd/spidersense kicked in and I did my investigation...

Btw, that spidersense doesn't work all the time though :mrgreen:

by click on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:43 pm
cristofe wroteFirst of all there is no such thing as a USB to Firewire adapter. Secondly, not all PCIe Firewire cards are created equal......some chipsets are not compatible with Presonus,(& other brands), of audio devices. Make sure you use a card with an approved chipset:

http://www.presonus.com/uploads/products/media/files/PreSonus_FireWire_Chipset_Compatibility_7-25-12.pdf

Bought a StarTech EC13942A2 which is on the list from the above link you sent me. My laptop reads it and says it ready to use and working properly but my Firestudio mobile wont fire up on just comnnecting the firewire cable. I used the power adaptor, which gives it power but nothing in terms of the blue light remaining "on" on the interface. Will be searching out what else i can do but figured i'd leave a comment here for any other ideas you, or anyone else, can provide me with.
Thank u for your time.
by roblof on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 am
Make sure that you use the legacy drivers.

by click on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 pm
i did. i researched and found that i had to use the legacy drivers. Firestudio Mobile audio device now appears in the dropdown menu for selecting audio devices but a message pops up saying that the device didn't start correctly and to configure the device, or something to that affect. same message reaapears and keeps asking me if I'd like to retry, which i press yes but it keeps failing. I'm going to call Presonus for Tech help soon. I'm close, lol,
Thanks to you all for your assistance.
by matthewgorman on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:01 pm
click wrotei did. i researched and found that i had to use the legacy drivers. Firestudio Mobile audio device now appears in the dropdown menu for selecting audio devices but a message pops up saying that the device didn't start correctly and to configure the device, or something to that affect. same message reaapears and keeps asking me if I'd like to retry, which i press yes but it keeps failing. I'm going to call Presonus for Tech help soon. I'm close, lol,
Thanks to you all for your assistance.

With the PC powered off, connect the FSM, then power up the PC. Make sure the sync light is solid blue. Then start S1. You will probably get the same message as before, but hitting retry should get you connected.

S1 remembers the last state, so if the FSM hadn't connected successfully on the last session you will get that message. As a practical matter, I have always had better luck connecting my FST by connecting with the pc powered down, then powering up the pc.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by themusicman on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm
wit a minute guys. my buddy is using this for his firestudio to his laptop and it works great' here is the txt he sent me;

Star tech.com is the name on the box
2 port expresscard 1394a firewire card
Part # EC13942 then says :
Add 2 firewire 400 ports to any expresscard equipped laptop.

14 posts
Page 1 of 1