3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Ok, so I own a FireStudio Mobile and since firewire is basically next to impossible to get in a PC laptop these days I ordered a new laptop with thunderbolt. I see that on the Presonus website even says the FSM will work with the apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter. So that is great, until I realized that not all thunderbolt connectors are the same.

I ordered a new Dell XPS 15 (skylake i7, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD, 4k touchscreen) to set up as a mobile DAW which has a thunderbolt port using the new USB-C connector. I also ordered an Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter. I received my adapter (still waiting on the laptop) and I realized, it isn't USB-C thunderbolt, it is some sort of mini-displayport looking plug. I see the other end is firewire-800. I've never even owned a firewire-800 cable. Everything I got is firewire-400. Go figure. I did enough reading to understand I just need a bilingual firewire-800 to firewire-400 cable to solve that. But what about the thunderbolt?

All the new laptops seem to be using USB-C for the thunderbolt connections but I am unable to find any kind of USB-C to firewire or USB-C thunderbolt to Apple mini-dp style thunderbolt. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?
by tonytmusic on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:22 am
I have a FSProject and also Windows so I'm hoping to help/still seek help. Just bought a new Asus laptop that has Thunderbolt 3. I bought the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and am now waiting for the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter to come out. Startech.com is making the only one I have seen, but it's not out yet, only "coming soon."

So my chain from pc to interface will look like tb3>tb3/tb2 adapter>tb/fw adapter>fw 800/400>FSP

My hope is that both adapters will work in this Frankenstein contraption.

ASUS ROG G752 w Thunderbolt 3
Studio One Pro 3.2 & iPad remote
Firestudio Project (2)
iTwo
Eris E5s & Samson Resolv 120A
Samson s-phone headphone amp
-modular set up-
by tonytmusic on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:29 pm
Wanted to let you know that I got the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter yesterday. I' happy to say that I got it to work with my Asus gaming laptop, which also has the Thunderbolt 3 port. Startech makes it and is available at B&H Photos website. I hear there is a limited # they have. Wanted you to be aware.

ASUS ROG G752 w Thunderbolt 3
Studio One Pro 3.2 & iPad remote
Firestudio Project (2)
iTwo
Eris E5s & Samson Resolv 120A
Samson s-phone headphone amp
-modular set up-

3 posts
Page 1 of 1