6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I've had my Firestudio Mobile for 3 years now. Starting a little over a year ago (I think; it was previously used in a very clean/isolated electrical environment), the interface disconnects whenever there's an electrical impulse in the house's circuit. For example, whenever the refrigerator kicks in, the interface disconnects. If I hit certain light switches, the interface disconnects. Sometimes, the interface disconnects for no discernible reason.

By 'disconnects,' I mean that the computer I have the interface connected to no longer detects that it's there. The LED indicator goes dark for a moment, then starts flashing red and blue. The only way to fix the issue is to unplug and replug the firewire cable of the interface back into my computer; even then, Ableton Live doesn't re-detect the interface and must be restarted, and Logic may or may not re-detect it. Irrespective of that, neither DAW re-detects the Mobile's MIDI capabilities; the only workaround for this is opening Logic and going to "Reset All MIDI Drivers" in the Preferences->MIDI menu; it can't be fixed in Ableton.

This issue has persisted across three different locations, with each apartment having different wiring. This leads me to believe that the unit is at fault.

Another issue, that I'm uncertain if it's correlated, is that when the mobile is not connected to a computer via firewire, it sends a consistent pulsing to its audio outputs, with the blue LED flashing dimly with each pulse.

I tried purchasing a Livewire power conditioner to hopefully solve the issue-
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Wire-Conditi ... 007CTY18Y/
It has not.

I'm not really sure where to turn now. One consideration is to get an Uninterruptible Power Supply; might this solve the issue? My worry there is that a decent UPS is a fair chunk of change, and I don't wish to purchase one if it won't solve the issue.

The second consideration is to send it to PreSonus for repair. I'm skeptical about doing this; it's $85, which is a nice chunk of my budget as a student. My worry here is that it's a defect of the product design itself, and therefore receiving one in factory condition will not solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My third consideration is to simply save up and purchase a better interface.

These issues are very frustrating, and constantly interrupt my workflow when trying to work on my music. I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what a solution may be, or what you think I should do!

Thanks,
~Tristan
by mwright137 on Sat May 23, 2015 7:16 pm
Well, a support ticket is free, so I'd start there.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by cristofe on Sat May 23, 2015 10:00 pm
You claim you tried three different locations. Did you try three different computers? Perhaps the problem is not your interface but your pc.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by tristanpantano on Sun May 24, 2015 8:22 am
mwright137 wroteWell, a support ticket is free, so I'd start there.

The support ticket immediately devolved into "pay us $85 and we'll return it to you in factory condition"; I worry that if it's a defect of the hardware design itself, this will be futile. When I asked about this, I was just given a pre-fabbed response about how I'll get a one year warranty with the repair. That doesn't address my concern.

[quote="cristofe"]Unfortunately I have not, especially given how rare it is for me to find audio friends with firewire connections on their computers- lots of PC fans

I just tried a lot of different troubleshooting; and it seems that, even with running my Mobile setup barebones- as in, the Mobile only connected to my computer via Firewire with no other audio/MIDI connections plugged into it or its DC adaptor; and my laptop having no peripherals/power-supply/ethernet connected, just the firewire to the audio interface- the issue persists. However, it seems easier to trigger this disconnects / they occur more frequently with the more peripherals or audio cables I have in.

A UPS would probably be the best bet in terms of providing 'clean' power to the interface, yes? It seems clear that power spikes are an issue; sudden changes, like a light switch being flicked, a fridge turning on, or static electricity zapping from my hand to my laptop's chassis cause the interface to go out. My worry with the UPS, though, is that it will not fix this issue with firewire still being connected to interface with my computer.

Dunno what to do. Any ideas on how I might better identify what exactly is causing the problem, for the sake of more specific troubleshooting?
by rokko101 on Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm
Hi there. I hope it's not too late.

I've seen the same exact issue with other interfaces as well.

In my case I solved it with a better (and shorter if possible) quality cable and ferrite filters.

I hope this simple solution works for you.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by tristanpantano on Fri May 29, 2015 2:19 pm
rokko101 wroteHi there. I hope it's not too late.

I've seen the same exact issue with other interfaces as well.

In my case I solved it with a better (and shorter if possible) quality cable and ferrite filters.

I hope this simple solution works for you.

Ferrite over the firewire, you mean? Or both it and the power adapter's cable? If I had to hazard a guess, the interface is getting disconnected by an impulse traveling out of my laptop (given how static electricity discharge through the laptop causes the interface to knock out...) Is there any particular cable you've found to do the job?

6 posts
Page 1 of 1