13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone.

I bought a new FS Mobile in March and was working fine until a month ago when it suddenly stopped working.

Symptoms: Blue Led on all the time even without FW cable attached, only PS. 48V button doesn't respond and of course the card isn't recognized by any computer or system I own.

I sent it to tech service since it's under warranty... and surprise:
Presonus local distributor say I have to pay us$ 199 for repair.
Why?
They state the unit has been abused.
Is 4-5 hours or sporadical use abusing a unit? I don't think so.

Too bad these things happen. I'll claim that the unit is under warranty and they have to repair it for free... It's that or a new unit or my money back.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by cristofe on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes dealers/distributors can be a real PITA to deal with. If they don't do right by you I would contact Presonus directly and let them know.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by rokko101 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm
Thanks Cristofe. I'll contact Presonus to let them know what's going on here.
The funny thing is that in their report they recommend me to use the unit with moderation and to turn it off often.
I bought this little box just for backup. I have pieces of hardware in my studio running 24/7 for years with no issues. This FS Mobile has to be the least used piece or hardware I own.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by brianmbremer on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:34 pm
I'm having a similar issue. I used a FireStudio Mobile several years (and several OS Xs) ago and never had issues. I recently purchased a new FireStudio mobile again and have many problems.

1. Sometimes it works fine. I'll plug it in, there is some flashing but then it finally settles on blue and I'm good to go.

2. Sometimes it looks good to go (case 1 above) but when I press the 48v button, the unit begins to flash alternating blue and red. Turning off the 48v doesn't fix it.

3. Other times I plug it in and it immediately goes from red to blue but it's not recognized by the laptop and also the 48v doesn't work.

The only thing I've been able to do is repeatedly plug/un-plug the unit until it finally syncs and allows me to turn on phantom power. Any others having this problem? I'm on the same laptop I've always used that worked perfectly with the FS Mobile several years ago. Additionally, I've tried other Firewire interfaces and devices with the same cable and they work flawlessly. I also tried using the power supply, and that makes no difference. It seems like a driver issue. Presonus, can you help here? A web search turns up others with similar power and sync issues.

Recording gear
Presonus Studio One 3 | Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Blue Bluebird | Audio Technica AT3035 | Blue Encore 100

Instruments
Martin DC-16RGTE | Fender American Deluxe Telecaster | Epiphone PR-100 | Yamaha Guitalele
Kurzweil SP88x Stage Piano
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Vintage Reissue

MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:48 pm
I recommend opening a support ticket. This is a user forum. Presonus employees do contribute to the forums, but this would not be an official avenue for support.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by JanVossen on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:10 am
have a similar problem
same equipment:
MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

When I upgraded to El capitan, the unit stopped working, but indicated with a red flashing light there is a problem. Had to uninstall the universal driver and installed the latest driver. Worked fine for a few weeks, but now suddenly it disappeared from my mac. When I plug in the firewire, it gives a blue steady indicator. But no recognition within El Capitan, despite several times uninstall and reinstall. Maybe it is an upgrade of El Capitan that causes the problem? Because other programs also seemed to be changed.
For example. I have Logic Express 9 and added MainStage to use the very nice Jampacks. But suddenly the jam pack disappeared from the Library list of Logic. I tried a lot to reinstall, until I found out that nothing really disappeared, but all the jam packs where renamed in a 'common use Garageband.' The same 'sounds were available, just in another presentation.
Could be Mac is fooling around with the sound system
by cristofechabot on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:56 pm
Like Matt said......

I recommend opening a support ticket. This is a user forum. Presonus employees do contribute to the forums, but this would not be an official avenue for support.
by rokko101 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:11 am
Steady blue led seems to equal BSOD.

My FSM was still under warranty but ocal distributor wanted me to pay uS$ 150 for repair because this part was fried: FS MOBILE TOP PCB ASSY. In their report they wrote that the damage was caused because of "excessive" use. I insisted that it was not my fault and they finally resolved to give a new (refurbished) unit.

The FSB tends to overheat ... and badly. I'm sure that after a few months of daily usage any unit will die or be seriously damaged.
If used outdoors and sporadically It may last... but for everyday studio use it may be doomed.

I'd nice to hear from Presonus about these units constantly dying of "suffocation".

by sebastiangustafsson on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:24 pm
I ve got the same problem. Bought it a couple of days ago and when installing at El Capitan it first worked perfectly. Then I rebooted the computer and afterwards the blue led was constant, the phantom power don't answer and the computer doesn't show any soundcard at all.

This seems to be a serious problem, hopefully it's just the drivers. When using a mobile soundcard made for live performance it need to be reliable.
by Steve Carter on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:30 am
Probably dead! Mine died after very moderate use, just out of warrantee. Wasn't worth the hassle or cost of getting it fixed out here in rural France so it ended up at the local decheterie. Got a Focusrite unit - been a happy bunny since. Still using S1 though, which I was originally turned on to with the free software bundled with the Presonus interface - so every cloud has a silver lining (even if the silver has been tarnished recently with niggly S1v3 problems - working through that though).
Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by rokko101 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm
sebastiangustafsson wroteI ve got the same problem. Bought it a couple of days ago and when installing at El Capitan it first worked perfectly. Then I rebooted the computer and afterwards the blue led was constant, the phantom power don't answer and the computer doesn't show any soundcard at all.

This seems to be a serious problem, hopefully it's just the drivers. When using a mobile soundcard made for live performance it need to be reliable.

Mine died exactly like that.

IMO there's a serious problem with these units. They run extremely hot... and the tech report stated that the unit died because "of excessive use"... Usage was really moderate... but even after 30 minutes the unit burns. The replacement unit is the same... So my guess is it will die in 6 months or so.... Too bad.

by chillbassman on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:09 pm
I know this forum is old but I'm sure someone is having this issue and is trying to avoid spending $800 plus for a new interface that may or may not support 16 additional ADAT channels.

If you have a solid blue light open up the unit and check all of the capacitors for bulging or swelling. In my case I had one capacitor near the power connection with a beveled top. The top should be perfectly flat. Go online or to Ebay and purchase:

470uF 16V (10x) Electrolytic Capacitors 16V 470uF Volume 8x12 mm $7 yes $7 bucks

You will need a soldering iron to remove the faulty capacitor. Replace with new and make sure the white stripe faces towards the solid silver metal block.

Powered on and 2626 registered with S1.
by cristofe on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:44 pm
chillbassman wroteI know this forum is old but I'm sure someone is having this issue and is trying to avoid spending $800 plus for a new interface that may or may not support 16 additional ADAT channels.

If you have a solid blue light open up the unit and check all of the capacitors for bulging or swelling. In my case I had one capacitor near the power connection with a beveled top. The top should be perfectly flat. Go online or to Ebay and purchase:

470uF 16V (10x) Electrolytic Capacitors 16V 470uF Volume 8x12 mm $7 yes $7 bucks

You will need a soldering iron to remove the faulty capacitor. Replace with new and make sure the white stripe faces towards the solid silver metal block.

Powered on and 2626 registered with S1.

While, that's solid advice. It may or may not fix whatever the problem is. Firestudio Mobiles sell cheaply enough on eBay that it may not cost much more to buy a known working replacement. Not everyone has soldering skills and being a novice and attempting a self-repair can lead to a very frustrating experience.....not to mention wasted time and money.

That being said, they are great interfaces I own a pair of them and three 26x26's and they're all rock solid with S1 and Win10. I can't say if they'll still work on Win11 as I have never been an early adopter.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1