27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi,

I'm pretty new to S1 and recording in general, but I finally reached a point where I really want to focus on building recordings. I started with the Free, got all my hardware and interfaces up and going, got the mic placement just right, then recorded some simple stuff to test in S1. Played it back, it sounded great. I exported the mixdown to WAV ((free, so no choice for now)), and the recording comes out with a whole different sound, very roomy and airy is the only way I can think to describe it. So I decided to rerecord what I played using Audacity and the same hardware configuration, and it played back pretty much exactly the same as the exported WAV file. So my question is this... Does S1 playback with some sort of pre-applied EQ? Am I not exporting the song correctly to maintain the sound I got from playing it back in S1? Am I mentally challenged and simply missed something obvious?
by scottyo7 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 am
There could be a few reasons for this...
1) You opened a template with FX on some of the tracks.
2) You have automation unknowingly on the tracks.
3) You have an outdated driver on your AI.

But reasons 1-3 should also be heard while you're recording and balancing your tracks.

For us to better help you, please create a signature*.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by jonmoler on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:50 pm
Well, for the time being I'll put down what I can remember of the laptop until I can get back to the studio to check out some of the secondary stuff.

Asus MoBo, i7 2760, 16gb RAM, WD SSD, Two Focusrite 2i2 ((linked through ASIO4all)), Studio One Free ((looking into artist, but I want that MP3 functionality)), Ibanez & Schecter guitars, Line 6 Amps, Gretsch Kit, SM57, Beta 52, Two MXL 840s.

Step for step, I opened up Studio one, set ASIO4all as my default driver, linked together the two Focusrite Interfaces ((setting the headphones on the laptop as my output)), then opened up a New Song. Set a new track for audio and set for L+R input. After a bit of mic re positioning, I got this really awesome and tight sound through the S1 playback. The bass drum had some real feel and thud to is and while the cymbals didn't come out PERFECTLY, I'll chalk that up to my crappy overheads. Anything else info-wise I can provide?

Really, I'm happy with how it sounds as it plays back. I want to export it like that.
by jonmoler on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:07 am
So, I take it no one has an answer or a clue regarding this issue?
by matthewgorman on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am
Try to do a mixdown of the song, with the setting to reimport the mix back into a track in the song. Solo that and playback. It should sound the same. If it does, then there may be something going on with the system you are listening back on.

A lot of times if you are listening through an onboad media program on your PC, there are eq settings that can be turned on that would affect the sound. If you listen to the mix on the same gear that you monitor S1 on, down to reimporting it back into S1, then the problem is most likely external.

The other possibility is the system itself and the room. If you take the mix out of your studio environment, and it sounds off there, Then your room/speakers/etc may not be telling the truth.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mdouse on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 am
I have the same problem, no qulity when mixdown. I play the songs on many different device same results. It is like there been pushed back in the same way that room effects whould effect the track but qulity is small,narrow and low on valume, please if anyone knows what is going on please help. So far i try everything that post here and i even try to load a song into my studio one without adding any effects mix it down and same thing it actually lost qulity when load and more when mixdown.
by kuba12 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:50 pm
I also have problems with exporting a mix down. For example: I’ve got a couple of tracks recorded , incl. instruments and vocals. I got some effects from the program used in them, I got stereo panoramas set in each track separately etc. And it all sounds great when I play it back in the program. But after I export the mixdown, all the pans settings for example disappear, and everything is heard in the middle. Totally not the way it sounds in the playback. It doesn’t matter what is the output file, WAV or any other, always doesn’t sound like in the playback before. Does anyone know why it is like that?
by jameschi on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 pm
It happened to me when I had limiter on.
I'm not exactly sure why it fixed it, but when I took out limiter fx, the mixdown came out how it sounded on the software.
by tsgrizzi on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 pm
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond. I was having the same issue as discussed here using Studio One 2 (Artist version 2.6). I went to Song > Song Setup > Options > Audio tab. I deselected Use dithering for audio services and audio file export. The results have been night and day. My mixdown wavs finally sound like what I was mixing inside of Studio One. Of course, this may not be the same solution for everyone, but I wanted to pass along.
by matthewbates on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:19 am
This is an old post but I thought I'd register something I found.... Until now I have NOT noticed a difference between playback inside Studio One and the exported mp3 played through Media Player or Sound Forge on a PC. BUT, I just started using a 3rd party plugin, REV Plate-140, by Arturia I believe. On playing back the output file this reverb sounded waaaay cranked up. I tried lots of things. In the end what fixed it is choosing 'real time processing' in the output dialog box. Bingo presto! But it's a drag it takes so long now. Makes me wonder if my previous mix outputs were all tainted, but to a lesser degree.

Sidebar: After doing an export without 'real time processing' checked, even a cancelled one, the playback inside of Studio One was distorted like the output files. Until I opened that reverb plugin. Then suddenly it reverted to my original reverb level. Very strange.

- Matt B
by eduardotrejo1 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am
tsgrizzi wroteHi. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond. I was having the same issue as discussed here using Studio One 2 (Artist version 2.6). I went to Song > Song Setup > Options > Audio tab. I deselected Use dithering for audio services and audio file export. The results have been night and day. My mixdown wavs finally sound like what I was mixing inside of Studio One. Of course, this may not be the same solution for everyone, but I wanted to pass along.

Awesome advice, thanks so much, I was struggling with a VST and after following your advice the mixdown sounds great. Thanks a lot you saved me a lot of time indeed
by nicholasangus on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm
A lot of people have this issue. I've used a lot of different DAWs and never encountered this problem before, ever! The mix in S1 sounds good, the kick knocks, the samples are in the position I want them to be, everything is clear. When I import the mixdown back into S1, sounds the same as the mix. No issues....

However, if I play the mixdown on WMP, AVC, put into Audacity, Sound Forge, or ANY other program, the mixdown sounds like someone has compressed it and the positioning of the instruments changes A LOT. The mix lacks clarity and the kick sounds fluffy. Again, never had this issue on any other DAW, and I'm not the only one.
by Norman Swindon on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:47 pm
I have the same problem with what I can only describe as sound throttling, I thought it was because I was using the artist version but apparently not. Unless someone can help me resolve this issue I'm going to look for better software like Cubase or something.
by neilperryman on Thu May 07, 2020 4:46 am
I've just downloaded Studio One 4 Prime (free version) to an Apple MAC running MAC OS Catalina 10.15.4 (current). I've just downloaded 2 separate mp3 songs and did some simple editing between them as a trial. Sounds great in S1 so exported the mixdown to mp3. Very disappointed to hear the result having a general poor quality particularly with top-end sounds like cymbals and hi-hat which sound artificial in an odd electro-metallic way. All export settings are default straight to mp3, no effects added, no plug-ins this is straight from the initial install.
by lamardixon on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:16 am
I started out with studio one 4 artist. Mixdowns always came out with the same quality as if being played in the DAW. Recently I have upgraded to S1 Pro. And have noticed that every mixdown come out very distorted. High end freq. Like hats sound as if they are compressed under water. I have tried everything to correct this and still no change. I have just begun to fully understand using studio one, for recording and production. I would hate to have to switch to another DAW. And start all over.
by josephlewis11 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 pm
I had the same problem...the entire mix sounded like it was under water.
by matthewcaddick on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:54 am
Hey, I've just been reading through all the posts here. I'm having the same problem. I've tried all the things listed above but no change. Recordings sound great in Studio One, but once mixed down to Mp3 they sound terrible, tiny, empty and airy. If anyone has any other advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm using Studio One 5 Artist
by matthewcaddick on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am
I know I've just posted my question but I've come across a video that might be helpful to others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk8_opr780

I realised from watching this that I was trying to export the mixdown as an MP3 at 64kbps which is really low quality and hence my sound did not sound good after mixdown. Just changed it to 320kbps and it sounds SO much better now
by Jcpstrat on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 am
Thank you tsgrizzi. Disabling "Use dithering for playback & audio file export" solved the issue of exported files not sounding like the mix in Studio One 4. I also had the L & R reversed from my PC output to my Studio 18|10 USB which wasn't helping.

For Studio One 4 it was a little different to get to the setting:
Song > Song Setup > Options > Advanced Tab

Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.8GHz 2,81 GHz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Universal Control 3.3.0.59348
STUDIO 18|10 USB Studio One 4 Ver. 4.6.2.58729
by kvdl on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 pm
So if anyone comes around here and his/her problems are not solved yet: check out if your mixdown is in mono ... simply listen to the original sound in Studio One, but switch the master to mono.

If it sounds the same as the mixdown through your media player then it might be that you are using a sound interface with outdated drivers that is not officially supported by your OS anymore. In my case it was a combination of Windows 10 64bit and a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1...

27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2