27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
matthewcaddick wroteI know I've just posted my question but I've come across a video that might be helpful to others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk8_opr780

I realised from watching this that I was trying to export the mixdown as an MP3 at 64kbps which is really low quality and hence my sound did not sound good after mixdown. Just changed it to 320kbps and it sounds SO much better now

I did this and it made a great difference. Thank you so much.
by james leatherbarrow on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm
nicholasangus wroteA lot of people have this issue. I've used a lot of different DAWs and never encountered this problem before, ever! The mix in S1 sounds good, the kick knocks, the samples are in the position I want them to be, everything is clear. When I import the mixdown back into S1, sounds the same as the mix. No issues....

However, if I play the mixdown on WMP, AVC, put into Audacity, Sound Forge, or ANY other program, the mixdown sounds like someone has compressed it and the positioning of the instruments changes A LOT. The mix lacks clarity and the kick sounds fluffy. Again, never had this issue on any other DAW, and I'm not the only one.

I am having the same issue. The mix sounds great in the box. I'm exporting as a wav file, so there should be no loss of quality. However, the exported file sounds way bassier and muddier when playing in WMP or Audacity. When I play the exported file in Studio One, it sounds like it's supposed to sound! It really does seem as if Studio One has some sort of filter on the playback that is giving a false indication of the sound of the mix. I'm really frustrated.
by leebarker on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:46 pm
matthewcaddick wroteI know I've just posted my question but I've come across a video that might be helpful to others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk8_opr780

I realised from watching this that I was trying to export the mixdown as an MP3 at 64kbps which is really low quality and hence my sound did not sound good after mixdown. Just changed it to 320kbps and it sounds SO much better now

Problem SOLVED! Under "Digital Release", I changed the setting from 64kbps to 320kbps and Woolah! I also changed the dithering option to off (not that it did anything) but now my mixes sound right. Thank you!
by aaronhoye on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:54 pm
HEADLINE: CHECK YOUR INTERFACE!!!!

I just had this issue, and it was driving me nuts. Like, literally crazy. I'm finishing up a project and have been in the mixdown phase. The only thing more disheartening than your exported mix not sounding right is your 50th exported mix not sounding right after your 50th attempt to fix the issue to no avail. I was on the verge of quitting, ready to just go back to hard disk recording and say screw DAW recording. I had had other substantial issues before, too, so after a certain number of rounds of doing more tinkering with the software than recording, you start to lose it a little.

I'll cut to the chase- it was my interface. I've been using an Audient iD14 interface with Studio One Artist for the last few years. I had had some other issues- crackling, sound cutting out, etc. and kept trying to figure out what it was. Then I tried exporting the mix of this latest project out, and it sounded like the bass was practically gone, and the mids were seriously compromised too. The mix sounded high and tinny- on the same headphones I had just used to mix in Studio One. I tried everything to fix it- I checked my sample and bit rate (setting them to 44.1 kHz and 16 bits), turning the dithering on and off, turning the plugins off and just exporting the raw files, exporting with real-time processing, uninstalling Studio One and reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling my interface drivers- I tried basically everything. Nothing worked, and I was hitting the wall after something like 12 hours of banging my face up against it.

I went into Guitar Center and spoke to a very nice associate and fellow engineer Miguel, who told me that my interface and its drivers might be outdated. I bought a Steinberg UR12 from him then and there, took it home, plugged it in, and guys- I am so happy haha. My mix sounds exactly as it should when exported, the same as it does in the DAW.

Don't lose heart! If you can, try replacing your interface, even temporarily with an inexpensive one if need be. If that's not the issue, try some of the other things that I did and that have been mentioned in this thread and see if they work.

Cheers, and the best of recording to you!
by dwyerjh on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:55 am
Also recognizing that this is an old post, it still appears to stay an ongoing problem. Having tried many of the output settings options that solved things for others, I had no luck - every .wav output sounded about half volume, high end rolled off, etc. - unusable. After reading about the interface being the problem for some, I searched Presonus for the latest drivers for my 2016 era Presonus Audiobox USB model. The web page said "Discontinued", but, there was a driver update from Dec 2, 2021 ! I installed it and voila, the .wav output sounds precisely like the Studio One playback version. Try this type of thing before new hardware. I know it sounds simplistic, but I have been exporting mixdowns for years and only recented encountered the problem. Happy New Year.
by dean701 on Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:32 pm
Untitled.png
as time rolls by this is still not sorted out. It actually reared it head for me when I was shortening an impulse response. Something I do regularly. Regardless, it's not the audio interface as I tried several. It's not dithering. It's not anything to do with the Project page. I am simply making a 500 ms file into a 50ms second file and exporting mixdown in wav format as 24 bit. I've done this tons of times but for some reason the result is adding a hump at 200hz in comparison to the original waveform. No plugs. Master effects disabled.
I installed Studio One on another machine with a different sound card. Same result.
I downloaded the free version of Audacity and it did it perfectly as expected.
Something within Studio One is having a problem.
It's not so much that it did it to this waveform as I can clearly see the before and after. It's all the songs I have done in the past. Has it been intermittently do this all along for songs I have written. It is bizarre.
I even installed Reaper to check that and it work fine in that too.

The original file is in orange but when I remove silence and mix it down I'm getting the bottom. In all other programs it is identical..

edit - finally figured out that timestretch was enabled on that track, so on import, it was stretching the waveform. Opened the info for the track and set it to 'do not follow'
by clifflatshaw on Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:28 am
Here’s an easy fix for you, a workaround if you may. You can hear a good sound on playback in the project page, so just use an external recording device and record to it through the headphone Jack on you audio interface.

27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2