10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm a long time Pro Tools user, with experience on several other DAWs (Cubase, Reaper, etc.). I'm interested in Studio One 2 for its potential ability to improve my workflow.

In Pro Tools, you can create several instrument tracks, inserting duplicate instances of the same plug-in on each one, and see all of them, each with its own fader in the Mix window.

Let me explain further. Say I have a VI that does not have multi outs, but want to use it to generate three different sounds on three different instrument tracks. Maybe I want to send the outputs to different buses on three different MIDI channels. The three VI tracks will show up separately in the Pro Tools Mixer, each with its own fader.

I tried to do this in Studio One Free, using the built in Presence instrument, and an SF2 drum kit I found online. Everything seemed to work ok in the Arrange window, but even though I named the tracks differently (Drums, Hi-hat, etc), the Mixer view only shows one channel called "Presence", with of course only one fader, with no way to adjust the output levels of the different tracks individually (unless i go into each MIDI track and edit the velocity data, which is a bit of a pita).

I've been wading through video tutorials for a couple of days, and have searched this forum, but so far haven"t found an answer. In fact, the information on ways to set up MIDI in Studio One is pretty scant.

It occurs to me that Free's limit of two available audio output channels might also be limiting the way the Mixer sees the Presence instrument, but is there no way to assign an instrument's MIDI output to a different MIDI channel, as one might do using a multi-out instrument?

Any insight anyone with more experience in Studio One can provide would be much appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Wayne Rose
Whitby, ON
Canada

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core (2008) 32 GB
iPad 4 9.7", iPad Pro 3 12.9"
Pro Tools 12, Studio One 5.5.2, Reaper, Melodyne 5
Sibelius 7.5, Notion 6.8.2
Focusrite LS56, Yamaha 01V96,
Pro Tools Control, Studio One Remote, Lemur
by stephenmckeever on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:53 pm
I am far from an expert, but I think if you right-click on the track in 'arrange' an option to show in console is available...

Studio One Pro 3
Faderport 1 & 8
UAD Apollo Twin Solo
UAD OCTO Satellite
Focusrite Scarlett Octopre
dbx 166XL

5K retina iMac 2015 High Sierra
32 gig RAM
i5 3.3 GHz processor
1 TB SATA HD
4 TB EXT HD

M-Audio Oxygen 61
various Rode, Audio-Technica & Shure mics
Some guitars
and a lot more to learn!
by -Luis- on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:11 pm
If you want to get a better idea of what the program can actually do I would suggest that you use the demo version instead of the free version.
To do so open Studio One and go to Studio One-->Studio One Activation and click on Try the demo version.
by sirmonkey on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:23 pm
In the Producer and Pro versions, you can use "Explode to Pitches", which will split up each key into its' own track (Kick on one track, snare on another...and so on). I don't know if you would want to do things this way, but that's what works for me. So, using the 30-day demo is a good idea.
* Also, I would ask all of the questions you can possibly think of before you try the demo, to make sure you get to test everything you might need in the 30 days.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by waynerose1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 pm
Thanks for your feedback, guys. Every little bit helps.

sirmonkey,
Appreciate your insights. In Pro Tools, I use a drum package called Strike (now available as VST from http://www.airmusictech.com), which lets you drag MIDI instrument content (Kick, HH, etc.) to separate tracks. "Explode to Pitches" sounds similar, and yes, that's likely how I would work.

And yes, I also agree with your suggestion to get all my ducks in a row before trying the 30-day demo. So far, I love the workflow improvement I'm seeing in the video tutorials I'm watching. That said, switching main DAWs is a big deal, so I want to make sure I don't start down the wrong path and have to change.

Studio One's streamlined operation is very attractive, after twenty years of doing things the Pro Tools way.

Thanks again, for your help.

by waynerose1 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:09 am
Hi niles,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond fully to my question, especially creating an Impact video to explain your point.

I tried to be as clear as I could in my description of the issue I'm concerned with. Sorry if my OP was confusing.

I'm quite used to using multi-out plugins, so understand how they function. I've watched and worked through more than 100 Studio One video tutorials, and so yes, I also now understand how to use them in S1.

What I'm referring to is a somewhat different approach. I'll try to be specific.

When I write for four strings, for example, I like to instantiate four separate instances of NI Session Strings Pro in Kontakt on four separate tracks. One instance is set to Violin 1, one to Violin 2, one to Viola and one to Cello.

Writing the string parts on four separate tracks in this way, enables me to see the different parts on four separate staves in the related score, as well as control the individual faders separately.

If I were to write all the parts on one track, they would all appear on the same staff. Not what is required for string writing. Each instrument has to be able to play all of the notes throughout its range, which can cross over, making things visually confusing.

It's not so much an issue of multi-outs as it is an issue of multi-inputs. Hence the need for four separate tracks.

The problem is that, so far, in Studio One, placing several instances of an instrument plugin on separate tracks doesn't seem to work. They are all routed to the same mixer channel.

Anyway, I think that explains what I'm trying to do. I'll have to activate the full demo and see if SSP and Kontakt work the same way in S1 as they do in Pro Tools. I hope so. Studio One is fantastic in terms of workflow - just what I'm looking for.

I'll repost when I find out the answer, unless someone out there knows already and would like to chime in.

Thanks again, niles, for taking the time to respond.

Wayne :)

by -Luis- on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 pm
Let's clarify something here,in the free version you can only use Presence and you don't have access to multi outs,( like Niles is showing in the gif ) you can however, use Presence in your first track write the part and then bounce the track, so you'll have an actual audio track,and then continue adding tracks as you wish.

That's the reason why,I suggested that you use the demo version.
by waynerose1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:29 am
Hi niles,

Thanks for all the effort you're taking with this. It looks like you've nailed it with one possible caveat. In your video, you appear to write the MIDI passage only once, and the same note appears on all four tracks. This makes it unclear to me how the four instances of SSP in Kontakt are being routed by S1.

I do it differently, by instantiating four instances of Kontakt on four separate tracks (PT has been having delay compensation problems with multi-outs). The way you're doing it would be more efficient if I can still write four separate string parts, and have their levels controllable in the mixer.

I don't need any more detailed information. Just clarification on this one point.

Thanks so much for your expert help. I'm busy the next couple of weeks, but will definitely give this a try in the full demo version as soon as I get some time. Your knowledge and willingness to help is very much appreciated.

musician2373,

I appreciate what you're suggesting re: writing and bouncing separate tracks in Presence. However, I'm not really interested in creating a rough facsimile of what I want to achieve. Nor was I being pigheaded (I hope). :)

I elaborated on my original question, because after viewing more than 100 YT tutorials , I couldn't find the answer I needed. I think it was sirmonkey who suggested earlier to ask all my questions here before running the full demo, so I'd be able to test everything I needed within the 30 day time limit.

And yes, I agree. Only using the full demo will allow me to test my processes fully. So thanks for pointing that out.

In the interest of "asking all my questions", here's another issue that's kind of confusing me:

I like to use Nudge a lot when I'm working in Pro Tools, usually in combination with Tab to Transient, or the Spot tool (which snaps a selected region to a precise time by typing the time into a dialog), i.e., the selection is moved, not just the cursor.

I was working on learning how to Nudge MIDI material in S1 (haven't got to Nudging audio yet), and found a couple of ways to do it. Seems you can have easy or precise, but not both at once. But let me explain what I'm getting at:

In Pro Tools, you can set the Nudge amount separately from the Grid, e.g., your visual grid can be set to 16ths, and your Nudge tool set to, say, 64ths, or Triplets, or even Seconds, or Samples, allowing you to Nudge notes very precisely in smaller increments than are displayed in the Grid.

In Studio One, I couldn't find any way to control the Nudge increment, separately from the visual grid. Is this the case, or am I missing something?

As always, I appreciate any helpful responses. I do believe in audio support forums. I've been a member of several for many years, and like to think I've contributed as much as I've received. At least I hope so. :)

When it comes to Studio One, I'm not knowledgeable enough to contribute much at all yet. So I really am grateful for the help I'm receiving.

Regards to all,

Wayne

by Lawrence on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:44 pm
The problem is that, so far, in Studio One, placing several instances of an instrument plugin on separate tracks doesn't seem to work. They are all routed to the same mixer channel.

If you only have one mixer channel you only have one Instrument instance. What you're likely seeing is that duplicating an Instrument track in Studio One actually does not duplicate the instrument instance, what it does is make a new track that points back to the same instrument instance.

If you want to use Presence on 8 different / discreet tracks, drag in 8 instances of Presence. If you do that a lot and would rather not drag and drop 8 times to do that, maybe make 8 Presence presets (Drums, Bass, Piano, etc, etc,) and just drag them all in at once when you start a new song, or make a song template.

One easy way for people who are maybe kinda new to all that, or new to how Studio One works with Presence, is to just open any standard midi cover file from the net or from Windows and just delete all the midi clips. You'll have 10-12-16 tracks and instances of Presence sitting there ready to play.
by waynerose1 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 am
Lawrence,

I'm back, after only three years!

Guess I missed your response earlier, but ran into the same problem and found my original post through Google.

So thanks for your response. Why didn't I think of that (shoulda had a V-8 slap to forehead). :D

Better late than never, at least in this case.

Thanks, again.

Wayne

10 posts
Page 1 of 1