4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am in the process of transitioning from Sonar to S1. I plan to buy a new Dell XPS 15 laptop with a 1 TB internal SSD plus an external monitor. My songs are simple. They involve a maximum of 2 recording inputs at a time, typically 1 to 4 finished audio tracks in total, 6 to 10 instrument/MIDI tracks and 1 to 4 insert/send channels for effects).

I was initially planning to simply keep everything on the internal 1 TB SSD. However, I also plan to purchase Kontact Komplete and other instruments with high GB sample libraries. So I now plan to keep everything on my internal hard drive except for the samples (and instruments?) that come with Komplete and other third party instruments. They would be stored on a separate USB2 hard drive. Does that make sense?

But it’s not clear exactly how to do this when installing these third party instruments with their big libraries considering S1 has four file storage areas: User Data, Sound Sets, Instrument Library and VST Plug-ins. For Komplete (for example), I’m not sure what gets input into these four files storage areas. Would the sound samples for the instruments all be stored in S1’s Instrument Library and therefore I should only have the Instrument Library folder on the external hard drive and everything else on the laptop’s internal SSD?

Thanks for your suggestions.
by davewesolowski on Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:39 am
I am having the same question and tech support won't even provide any links on how to do such a necessary thing to keep your computer nice and functional over time. Can anyone please answer? I want to know specifically how to move my samples that came with third party instruments to an external drive without inadvertently disrupting the functionality. For example, the Arturia sounds. I know they are taking up a lot of storage internally, and I really don't want that. I want all of my samples on an external drive. It was easy enough with the Studio One Sound Sets, but not as clear with things like Arturia or Ghosthack.
by ennbr on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:07 am
It's very easy to do copy the files to a new directory on your external media then in Studio One Preferences/Locations and Sound Sets setup the new Location. It's just that easy...

One caveat if your external drive is disconnected Studio One will revert back to the default Location.

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by davewesolowski on Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:29 am
Thank You. I moved the Studio One Sound Sets that way. I am wanting to move all the sound samplesfrom the 3rd party Studio Magic Bundle like the Arturia synth sounds . The Ghosthack Studio Magic sound download is on hold until I figure out where those 3rd party sounds are installed. It's not part of the SoundSets library. Thanks for trying to help. I do appreciate it, though I really want all those 3rd party sounds on an external without disrupting their usability. Still need a bit more technical detail.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1