8 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is probably a dumb question but I am confused on the clear distinctions between sound sets, instruments and VST plug-ins and how S1 manages them (Studio One > Options > Locations). For example, don’t the sounds played by, for example, Presence (an instrument) both part of sound sets and part of the instrument library? Are not some VST plug-ins instruments plug-ins and therefore also part of the Instrument Library? Are sound sets limited to loops (both audio and MIDI)?

I’m sure clear cut definitions and distinctions are documented somewhere. I’m just having trouble finding them. Thanks to anyone pointing me in the right direction.
by sirmonkey on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:16 pm
VST's can be effects (like reverb or an equalizer), or virtual instruments (i.e. a synth, or a drum or horn simulation).
Analyzers are also VST's.
* "VST"= "Virtual Studio Technology"

You could look at Presence, Impact, & Mohito as instrument VST plugins that are native to Studio One. The Studio One Pro Compressor is a native effect VST.

Presence primarily uses Soundsets, which are bundled samples that are proprietary to Studio One (I'm pretty sure). However, Presence can also play other formats than S1 soundsets: It can also play soundfonts, which you can build yourself.

I'm pretty sure that Instrument Libraries are basically a bunch of soundsets.

So, Presence is an instrument type of VST, which uses soundsets (a bunch of carefully organized samples)... and a bunch of soundsets are contained in a library.

Anyone can surely correct me if I'm off at all with my info!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by sirmonkey on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 pm
The Wiki page here gives a good info: http://://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual ... Technology

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by greghaskins on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am
Thanks for the help.
by [email protected] on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:21 pm
sirmonkey,

This is useful information as far as it goes, but it seems like the terminology is unnecessarily confusing, especially for someone coming to Studio One 4 as his or her first DAW experience. To a veteran I'm sure this is crystal clear.

In practical terms, though, say you're setting up S1 4 Professional for the very first time and you're in Preferences/Locations. You've done the standard download and install, and you've chosen a folder on an external hard drive as the place where you want to keep your large S1 files -- let's say it's "MUSIC/Studio One." Your goal is to have all the extra Presonus content available to you the next time you start Studio One -- effects, virtual instruments, loops, etc. -- as well as all your third-party goodies from Native Instruments Komplete 10, which you've bought as a separate product -- not a light version that comes with S1. Maybe you even have some Apple Loops and such that came with Garage Band, and you'd like them to be available to you, too.

You're in Preferences/Locations, and you see Sound Sets, Virtual Instruments and Plug-Ins and you wonder where Studio One is going to look for various things, so you can make sure to choose the right location for these things. So under MUSIC/Studio One there is a folder called Sound Sets, and that's where the program has put a bunch of virtual instruments and loops "libraries" (if that's the correct term for these sound sets), but I can't tell if there effects there as well.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 1.58.37 PM.jpg

Under the Virtual Instruments tab, the location is given as MUSIC/Studio One/SoundFonts, but there is actually no folder called SoundFonts under my Studio One folder -- maybe you only have one if you build a SoundFont, whatever that is. But I notice that there seem to be a whole bunch of Virtual Instruments under Sound Sets, but none under the tab Virtual Instruments. Slightly confusing.

Finally, there is the VST Plug-Ins tab where, confused as I am, I have added the location MUSIC/Native Instruments/NI Content, which corresponds to the folder where I now see a bunch of what NI calls "libraries" -- things like the Kontakt Factory Library, the Session Horns Library, the Vintage Horns Library, etc. I get that NI content is treated by Studio One as a plug-in, so it makes sense for it to be under this tab. But where does other Komplete stuff go? Where are its effects, for example? If I install, say, EZ Drummer, where should I put its files so S1 will be able to access them?

If there is a clear explanation somewhere of how exactly Presonus is defining these three tab designations so that they are clearly distinct from one another (which they must be or they wouldn't each have a separate tab, right?) and of what files (both OEM and third-party plug-ins) go where so that they are all perfectly available in the right places in the Browser on the right side of the S1 Song interface, I would appreciate being sent in that direction. Because I'm anxious to get going on music and would prefer to be futzing as little as possible with "where is my trombone" problems.

Many thanks.

Paul

P.S. My signature needs updating: I am now using Studio One 4 Professional.

sirmonkey wroteVST's can be effects (like reverb or an equalizer), or virtual instruments (i.e. a synth, or a drum or horn simulation).

You could look at Presence, Impact, & Mohito as instrument VST plugins that are native to Studio One. The Studio One Pro Compressor is a native effect VST.

Presence primarily uses Soundsets, which are bundled samples that are proprietary to Studio One (I'm pretty sure). However, Presence can also play other formats than S1 soundsets: It can also play soundfonts, which you can build yourself.

So, Presence is an instrument type of VST, which uses soundsets (a bunch of carefully organized samples)... and a bunch of soundsets are contained in a library.

Paul Spillenger
MacBook Pro 2017, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
OS X Catalina 10.15
Studio One 4 Professional
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
Acoustic, Blues, Rock, Bluegrass
by sirmonkey on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:59 pm
I can't give you a complete answer, but can broadly answer a few concerns (hopefully):
For purchased/3rd party instruments that have an installer, I always just install to wherever the default is. But if you install samples somewhere else, the instrument VST itself should remember where they are.
A soundfont is a format for a sample library, and it has been around for a long time. Some consider it obsolete, but I still think it's great. Presence can play soundfonts, but it would not be surprising if you don't have any.
There are many formats, because there a lot of plugin manufacturers. But each instrument will indicate what format(s) it is compatible with.
For EZ Drummer and Kontakt, I let those programs install content to their default location. And the effects are built right into the instruments.
Also, you should back up your songs & projects as you work fairly often. Studio One will ask if you want to save the media associated with the song. Clicking Yes will copy all samples/audio to the backup file.
* Anyone can chime in if I'm mistaken about anything, or can add a bit more.

by jordancall on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:24 pm
I have to say: it is extremely validating to find this, because I have been slamming my head against the wall trying to understand this organization system. You put the problem absolutely perfectly here. My issue is that I've had to transfer all my Studio One files like four times to four different drives (long story) AND I recently upgraded to Studio One 5 which seems to have other sets of downloads and stuff.

Part of the problem with the "just install at the default location" is that the whole point is that I'm trying to install something other than the default--I'm trying to put it on a dedicated drive.

So my question is: did you ever get this reasonably sorted out? Or did you ever come up with an organization system that actually makes sense to you?

[email protected] wrotesirmonkey,

This is useful information as far as it goes, but it seems like the terminology is unnecessarily confusing, especially for someone coming to Studio One 4 as his or her first DAW experience. To a veteran I'm sure this is crystal clear.

In practical terms, though, say you're setting up S1 4 Professional for the very first time and you're in Preferences/Locations. You've done the standard download and install, and you've chosen a folder on an external hard drive as the place where you want to keep your large S1 files -- let's say it's "MUSIC/Studio One." Your goal is to have all the extra Presonus content available to you the next time you start Studio One -- effects, virtual instruments, loops, etc. -- as well as all your third-party goodies from Native Instruments Komplete 10, which you've bought as a separate product -- not a light version that comes with S1. Maybe you even have some Apple Loops and such that came with Garage Band, and you'd like them to be available to you, too.

You're in Preferences/Locations, and you see Sound Sets, Virtual Instruments and Plug-Ins and you wonder where Studio One is going to look for various things, so you can make sure to choose the right location for these things. So under MUSIC/Studio One there is a folder called Sound Sets, and that's where the program has put a bunch of virtual instruments and loops "libraries" (if that's the correct term for these sound sets), but I can't tell if there effects there as well.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 1.58.37 PM.jpg

Under the Virtual Instruments tab, the location is given as MUSIC/Studio One/SoundFonts, but there is actually no folder called SoundFonts under my Studio One folder -- maybe you only have one if you build a SoundFont, whatever that is. But I notice that there seem to be a whole bunch of Virtual Instruments under Sound Sets, but none under the tab Virtual Instruments. Slightly confusing.

Finally, there is the VST Plug-Ins tab where, confused as I am, I have added the location MUSIC/Native Instruments/NI Content, which corresponds to the folder where I now see a bunch of what NI calls "libraries" -- things like the Kontakt Factory Library, the Session Horns Library, the Vintage Horns Library, etc. I get that NI content is treated by Studio One as a plug-in, so it makes sense for it to be under this tab. But where does other Komplete stuff go? Where are its effects, for example? If I install, say, EZ Drummer, where should I put its files so S1 will be able to access them?

If there is a clear explanation somewhere of how exactly Presonus is defining these three tab designations so that they are clearly distinct from one another (which they must be or they wouldn't each have a separate tab, right?) and of what files (both OEM and third-party plug-ins) go where so that they are all perfectly available in the right places in the Browser on the right side of the S1 Song interface, I would appreciate being sent in that direction. Because I'm anxious to get going on music and would prefer to be futzing as little as possible with "where is my trombone" problems.

Many thanks.

Paul

P.S. My signature needs updating: I am now using Studio One 4 Professional.

sirmonkey wroteVST's can be effects (like reverb or an equalizer), or virtual instruments (i.e. a synth, or a drum or horn simulation).

by leedickholtz on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 pm
sirmonkey wroteThe Wiki page here gives a good info: http://://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual ... Technology

Here's the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology for that page:

8 posts
Page 1 of 1