5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to load a General MIDI file into Studio One and automatically assign an instrument and other things like a submix of the instrument with some effects?

In other words, apply a template to an existing MIDI file.

Studio One Pro 3 - Windows 10, 64bit - ASUS G752VM Laptop i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz 16MB RAM - Studio 192 Interface
by Lawrence on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:01 pm
Depending on if the midi file will drag directly into the existing song or not to get the tracks, which depends on the data size of the file or something similar. If so, drag it into the song to get the midi tracks and also drag and drop it to the tempo track to capture the tempo map.

That is to say, if you already have a bass instrument setup in your template for example, expand the midi file in the browser and drag the single bass track from it to the existing bass track, etc, etc, to load up the template tracks..
by mikewarren1 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:08 pm
Thanks for your reply. I discovered the trick of dragging the file in twice only about an hour ago after seeing a video where a tempo was being set from a MIDI file.

From my few tests so far this seems to work well enough for me.

Now I just have to work out if there's an easier way to adjust the volume of MIDI parts than opening up the editor, selecting volume and dragging the line.

Studio One Pro 3 - Windows 10, 64bit - ASUS G752VM Laptop i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz 16MB RAM - Studio 192 Interface
by Lawrence on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 pm
mikewarren1 wroteNow I just have to work out if there's an easier way to adjust the volume of MIDI parts than opening up the editor, selecting volume and dragging the line.

Just use the mixer. Everything you hear goes through the mixer. If you need to adjust levels before the mixer channel every instrument has a volume control on it.

In my opinion (with it and 40 more cents you can maybe get a Mars bar :) ), mixing with CC's only really comes into play or becomes more important if you're mixing for a midi file, to generate a midi file where the mix is in encapsulated in the midi file, like if you sequence at home and dump those sequences to a keyboard workstation for backing tracks for a live performance or something. Otherwise, in a daw, just mix with the audio mixer, the audio signals.
by mikewarren1 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 pm
For this particular task I really am only mixing a MIDI file to use as live backing tracks.

The reason I can't use the mixer is that the Sound Canvas has 16 channels and only presents one audio output channel. I could use 16 instances of the Sound Canvas, but they take quite some time to load and this task is something I have to do very often. Saving seconds counts.

I tried using the GM player that comes with Studio One trial and the sound quality is worse than the Sound Canvas.

Does the full Pro version come with a better GM plugin?

I have ordered a Studio 192 interface, which should arrive next week, and will be buying the crossgrade of Studio One then.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1