16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello there and a happy new year everyone.

I recently thought I’d try Studio One (on Windows), and I can already say I really like it and considering migrating from my current DAW. Some features are groundbreaking and I already have constructive ideas about further improvement I’d gladly bring up to the devs and the community. However, there is a basic thing I really have trouble with.

Snap is ON (the icon is blue), set to “Quantize” and “Snap to Grid”, shift is not pressed down, yet, even though quantize value is set at, let’s say, 1/1 or 1/4, if I start zooming in and then try to move a note around or resize it, it’s free-sliding, allowing me to place it anywhere inside the midi editor (not even limiting it in a smaller note value), rather than strictly letting me place it in the set note value. The same thing occurs with audio/instrument events in the main screen.

This pretty much cancels the point of snapping, making it messy to work with smaller note values in the midi editor or even audio/instrument events.
It is essentially like snap working in “Adaptive” mode no matter what, despite being set to “Quantize” (or “Bar” for that matter).
Since Snap is such a basic, essential DAW feature and, from my little experience with it, I can see how Studio One, while innovative, is a serious, pro-level DAW, I find it hard to believe this is intended (otherwise there would be no other snap settings available) and even though I see it’s been reported as a bug before:
viewtopic.php?t=19689
viewtopic.php?f=151
I doubt something as serious as that wouldn’t have caused problems to more people or wouldn’t have been sorted out already. So, being new to Studio One, it must be me missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
by Steve Carter on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi...
This isn't gonna help but snap/quantise working here as expected.

However, you may solicit more help and pertinent advice if you include your system specs in your post or preferably appended to your signature. Look for any post by jpetit he has a link to enable you to do this, or visit your forum user account.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by astroblaster on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Thanks for your reply Steve. I am currently testing on an i5 laptop with 4 gb ram, Windows 7 64 bit. Granted, not exactly cutting edge but it shouldn’t make a difference when it comes to snapping.

The thing is, I’ve only started using Studio One so I am not sure “what it is expected” as you put it. I mean, coming from Cubase, snap/quantize the way I described seems to me the only natural way and the only one I’m aware of, from every other DAW I’ve used as well.
After additional research, I found some threads from what seems like an older, inactive version of this forum where people refer to snapping in Studio One as “magnetic” and not “hard” like in other DAWS . Of course these refer to really old versions of Studio One, so I am not sure if that’s still the case.
I do notice some moderate magnetical force when I approach note grids (which is alright/welcome) which appears to be less strong when you zoom in and in any case, it doesn't protect you from off grid placement. As I said, the problem is, I am able to freely move a note or an audio event ANYWHERE, while I expect snapping to prevent me from moving them anywhere apart from the note value positions I’ve set. I really hope what I describe isn’t the expected, normal Studio One behaviour when it comes to snapping, because this essentially means no snapping to me. So is it?
by niles on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:36 pm
astroblaster wroteI really hope what I describe isn’t the expected, normal Studio One behaviour when it comes to snapping, because this essentially means no snapping to me. So is it?
Yes it is! Studio One's snap acts differently from Cubase's snap.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by astroblaster on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 pm
niles wrote
astroblaster wroteI really hope what I describe isn’t the expected, normal Studio One behaviour when it comes to snapping, because this essentially means no snapping to me. So is it?
Yes it is! Studio One's snap acts differently from Cubase's snap.

I don't mind something being different than Cubase per se, if I wanted identical Cubase behaviour I'd merely stick to that. As a matter of fact, in many ways, I find Studio One superior than Cubase to the point I consider migrating it, which is why I am really disappointed and surprised to hear that this is just how Studio One snap works. And I don't mean the magnetic thing, this is fine, I just don't understand how it is possible to have snap enabled and set to “Snap to Grid” yet be able to enter/move notes and events anywhere. Even randomly between note values, off grid i.e pretty much what you can do with snap disabled.
I mean how is this snapping, doesn't it cancel the whole idea behind it? It is like muting a channel yet being able to hear its signal and saying "this is how the Mute feature operates".
I am not venting against you Niles, don't get it the wrong way, I am just pointing out the paradox of it all. I don't care about Cubase comparisons, and I am not one of these people complaining about the lack of obscure, super advanced midi features but snap is really MIDI 101 and common ground between all DAWS just much as midi velocity is. A DAW with no proper snapping feature is a deal breaker for me and I still hope I have misunderstood something because I really do like Studio One in general.
by jpettit on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 pm
I do not see that behavior in non-adaptive mode.

You can drop it anywhere but it snaps to the quantize resolution even zoomed in.

Maybe you are thinking snap strength? That does not have a setting.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by niles on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am
astroblaster wroteI am not venting against you Niles,
I understand. I just report what I observe, it's not my opinion.

astroblaster wroteA DAW with no proper snapping feature is a deal breaker for me and I still hope I have misunderstood something because I really do like Studio One in general.
You did not misunderstood. The cursor, objects, selections and ranges can be placed freely between the snap points. When approaching a snap point, it pulls the cursor, object, range or selection to it.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by astroblaster on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 am
niles wrote
astroblaster wroteI am not venting against you Niles,
I understand. I just report what I observe, it's not my opinion.

We're good. I just didn't want to it to come out the wrong way. ;)

Now, again, unless I misread, these are two quite different, contradicting things:

jpettit wroteYou can drop it anywhere but it snaps to the quantize resolution even zoomed in.

It does not. I don't mind that much being allowed to move around freely or drop it anywhere. It's still a bit weird, but as long as it would snap to the quantize resolution once I drop the object as you say, it would be fine. But it doesn't. If there is a way, please let me know.

niles wroteThe cursor, objects, selections and ranges can be placed freely between the snap points. When approaching a snap point, it pulls the cursor, object, range or selection to it.

Yeah, I am afraid that's the case. Only when approaching? See, this is different from what jpettit says, and in my opinion defeats the whole purpose of snap which is having the DAW automatically place the notes/events to the quantize resolution, not having to grab and move everything around manually until you approach enough mouse ticks close to a snap point for the magnet to take effect. It's a nightmare to edit several smaller value notes, especially on a zoom level.
by Lawrence on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 am
It works that way for me here if I set it to Grid and turn off the other snap options, it only and always snaps to the quantize grid.

Maybe the issue being reported here is the range of the magnetic pulling, how close you have to get to be pulled, wanting it to be larger. Not sure.
by niles on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 am
astroblaster wrote
niles wroteThe cursor, objects, selections and ranges can be placed freely between the snap points. When approaching a snap point, it pulls the cursor, object, range or selection to it.

Yeah, I am afraid that's the case. Only when approaching? See, this is different from what jpettit says, and in my opinion defeats the whole purpose of snap which is having the DAW automatically place the notes/events to the quantize resolution, not having to grab and move everything around manually until you approach enough mouse ticks close to a snap point for the magnet to take effect. It's a nightmare to edit several smaller value notes, especially on a zoom level.
If someone hasn't worked with Cubase/Nuendo the personal reference of how snap should work may be different from someone who for instance worked with another DAW or maybe even a graphical program.

jpettit possibly is not familiar with Cubase/Nuendo's snap behavior and therefor his reference to snap maybe different. He is referring to snap strength or snap intensity though, which actually covers exactly what the hard coded difference is between Studio One and Cubase.

Sonar for instance has an option to adjust the snap intensity. The Extreme snap intensity setting will cause Sonar to behave like Cubase and everything will lock to the grid a Lighter snap intensity will make it behave more like Studio One.

by Lawrence on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 am
niles wroteSonar for instance has an option to adjust the snap intensity. The Extreme snap intensity setting will cause Sonar to behave like Cubase and everything will lock to the grid a Lighter snap intensity will make it behave more like Studio One.

Excellent explanation and observation.

Having an option for intensity defies any idea or implication that there is only one "right" way, and allows different users to set it different ways. It directly disputes the thread title which implies that the current method is somehow broken. On the contrary, people prefer things different ways and the option to modify the intensity is clear evidence of that varying personal preference, or it wouldn't be there in Sonar.

Thanks Niles.

Reaper has something similar, a couple of snap options related to "distance"...

by jpettit on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am
So it looks like we are talking snap stength.
Yes I am not familiar with Cubase strength but I am with Sonar set to full.
So to the OP it is just weaker.

Sounds like an FR to add that control.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by astroblaster on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am
Thanks for your input guys.

Lawrence wroteHaving an option for intensity defies any idea or implication that there is only one "right" way, and allows different users to set it different ways. It directly disputes the thread title which implies that the current method is somehow broken.

Well, by no means I claimed I possess the absolute truth. To me, snap = lock to grid and based on my experience I guess you can understand why it indeed does feel broken.

niles wroteSonar for instance has an option to adjust the snap intensity. The Extreme snap intensity setting will cause Sonar to behave like Cubase and everything will lock to the grid.

Lawrence wroteOn the contrary, people prefer things different ways and the option to modify the intensity is clear evidence of that varying personal preference, or it wouldn't be there in Sonar.

Lawrence wroteReaper has something similar, a couple of snap options related to "distance"

So I guess the conclusion is we are dealing with a "it's a feature, not a bug" case which regrettably means that even though I really like its workflow and innovative features, since quantize/snap is such an essential, every day function, Studio One is not for me unless Presonus decides to implement a soft/hard snap option.
With that being said, based on what you say, we can agree that freedom of choice is good especially since we are talking about a basic editing function. More so, since other DAWs offer it and in the case of Cubase users, (which, as far as I am concerned at least, is a main Studio One target audience), "hard snap" is all they know. I mean, I've been testing Studio One with a friend, we both got 15+ years experience in music production (Cubase and Trackers mostly) and while we like Studio One overall, this one left us pretty alienated...

Could you please point me out the most efficient way to reach out to the devs and pass them over this one? I see a feature request form but I am not sure how much chance has to be noticed/implemented there or whether I can even post without owning the pro version.
by Lawrence on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am
Yes, I only meant that saying it "doesn't work correctly" is inaccurate. It's more that it doesn't work the way you prefer, which happens to us all at various times, and would be a feature request. If my previous post reads a tad snarky, not my intent, apologies.

Not you specifically, but some users do need to get past the general idea that the way they want or prefer things to be is the way all things should be by default, when it's really more the case that preferences do tend to vary widely, which is why apps like Cubase and Reaper have so many preference options.

I think the FR is a good one and I'd vote for it. :thumbup: You should make it, http://answers.presonus.com/questions/s ... e-requests
by Steve Carter on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 pm
Interesting replies guys...

I've not experienced the other Daw/s mentioned (only Sonar 10/15 years back) but I find S1's snap with quantise function 'strong' enough to be a nuisance at times and work with snap off, probably as often as on!
Guess it depends on what you're using S1 for and just goes to show that you can't please everyone all the time. Happy with it the way it is but also happy for there to be more options - although it may be a case of set and forget.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by astroblaster on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:10 pm
Lawrence wroteYes, I only meant that saying it "doesn't work correctly" is inaccurate. It's more that it doesn't work the way you prefer, which happens to us all at various times, and would be a feature request. If my previous post reads a tad snarky, not my intent, apologies.

Not you specifically, but some users do need to get past the general idea that the way they want or prefer things to be is the way all things should be by default, when it's really more the case that preferences do tend to vary widely, which is why apps like Cubase and Reaper have so many preference options.

I think the FR is a good one and I'd vote for it. :thumbup: You should make it, http://answers.presonus.com/questions/s ... e-requests

No problem mate. I also understand your point about preferences and how people sometimes approach things in a rather egotistical manner. I agree.

Steve Carter wroteInteresting replies guys...

I've not experienced the other Daw/s mentioned (only Sonar 10/15 years back) but I find S1's snap with quantise function 'strong' enough to be a nuisance at times and work with snap off, probably as often as on!
Guess it depends on what you're using S1 for and just goes to show that you can't please everyone all the time. Happy with it the way it is but also happy for there to be more options - although it may be a case of set and forget.

Regards...

Yeah, it's always interesting to see how each one likes to do things in different ways.
We can all definitely agree that having several options is a good thing and in the case of a DAW, it can only be beneficial since more people will be able to utilize it, based on their own preferences and workflow.

My request is up: http://answers.presonus.com/24198/alternative-convenient-some-people-snap-function-addition
Any support is obviously welcome! ;)

16 posts
Page 1 of 1