1 post
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

SONAR user transitioning to S1. Really like the S1 product. Been demoing for about 4 days and everything was moving along well - until this issue.

Set up an instrument track to get its MIDI input from my Korg Triton via my MOTU FastLane USB MIDI interface. No problem - can use the KORG keyboard as a dumb MIDI input device OK.

But am also trying to get the S1 instrument track to send patch changes to the KORG Triton. Set up 3 automation tracks - Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change.

The KORG needs a value of "00" for MSB for regular patches, "00 thru 03" for LSB (4 bank changes) and "0-127" for individual program/patch changes. It also needs an MSB value of "121" for GM patches.

Well...

The program change automation track works as expected. I can click on the automation line to set up a break point and enter a program/patch value - even up to "127". Each time I click a new break point the automation line changes in a stair step manner, moving up or down from one patch to the next. Program/patch changes are successfully sent to the TRITON. Cool!

But...

Trying to change the LSB automation line is giving me a hard time. When I enter an LSB value of "2", and watch the MIDI Monitor - S1 is sending an LSB value of "3" to the TRITON. If I enter an LSB value of "3" - S1 sends an LSB value of "4" to the Triton. LSB values of "0" and "1" get sent correctly. So I can't automate (or send) program changes to patches from Bank "2". I'm guessing this is a legitimate "bug."

In addition, I can't seem to get the LSB breakpoints set up in a stair step manner on the automation line. When I click a new LSB breakpoint and raise or lower its value (e.g from "1" to "2") the automation line rises or descends in a continuous angle - and while playing back a MIDI sequence, the Tracks display shows the LSB increasing from "1" to "1.1" to "1.2" etc. until it reaches the next breakpoint and changes to "2". That doesn't look correct to me. Possibly user error?

An finally, for the MSB, sending "00" works fine. But when I want to access sounds in the TRITON's GM bank, I have to send an MSB of "121". Unfortunately, the max value for an MSB in S1 is "100." I have to enter a value of "95" which somehow gets converted and sent as "121" so I can access the GM bank. To access the TRITON's GM drum bank (LSB of "120") I have to get S1 to send an MSB value of "94.5") - that's really awkward and unintuitive - but, it works. I thought I had read in a review that this issue had been addressed.

And...

There doesn't seem to be any way to get a fader in the mix window corresponding to this (external MIDI module) instrument track?

All of the above seems to make working with MIDI sequences playing through an external MIDI keyboard/ sound module a bit cumbersome in S1.

Other than that, really liking what I'm seeing in S1 3.5.4. But I still use my external TRITON as a MIDI sound module and would like to be able to access all of its banks, and patches.

Any help, tips regarding these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny V.

1 post
Page 1 of 1