8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Okay first off, the machine is a reasonably fast PC with 8 gigs of ram and plenty of hard drive space. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. My interface is an M-Audio Delta 66 card, running at 24 bits / 96k at the moment. I have it set right now to use its own ASIO drivers.

I'm pretty new to Studio One, but I like it a lot. I find it to be more intuitive than other software I own or have used. But I'm still a noob, and barely know my way around in the package. There's an awful lot to choose from, seems to me, so I'm hoping what I need will be an easy key stroke or two to take care of the problem.

The title sort of says it all. I've imported a midi file that I created in Band in a Box 2017, so I could put some nice Studio One massages to it. Only real problem I'm having is SO3 occasionally drops a note. But when I stop the playback and replay from just before the spot where the note is not played, the second time through, it sounds the note.

Actually for the second time through, I've called up the Edit window to see if there's anything I can do about that. I've tried right clicking on the note and then adjusting the Velocity, but I quickly discovered when I change the velocity for that note, I'm changing it for every note in the track. Not what I wanted. I see a couple of other possibilities perhaps? Right click on the note, to Musical Functions/Restore Velocity maybe?

Maybe having the Edit view open is making it straighten up? Cuz I've also noticed if I just have the track view, and, say, the console up, it will drop notes. So I switch to Edit to zero in on the problem spot, only to find that it's working correctly. And it works correctly for the rest of the piece -- with the Edit window open.

Can anyone explain to me why it's doing this?

Best,
Michael
by Bbd on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm
Michael,

What exact version of Studio One are you using?

Can you try duplicating the midi track and then do a merge on the duplicated copy and solo it and playback again?
I have not heard of this issue before where it plays back correctly with the editor open.

Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by cooltouch on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm
Hey Bbd, well SO3 made a liar out of me just now. I'm listening to the tune and it dropped the same notes but with the Edit window open this time. And when I went back to play them again, it didn't drop the notes.

Apparently I have the latest version of SO 3 (free): 3.5.2.44603

You wrote:
"Can you try duplicating the midi track and then do a merge on the duplicated copy and solo it and playback again?
I have not heard of this issue before where it plays back correctly with the editor open."

Well, forget about the last part, since having the editor open or closed doesn't seem to matter now. But as for your question, I'll admit that I'm enough of a noob with this software such that I have no idea how to do what you're asking.

Okay, well I went and right clicked on the channel, and found two options: Duplicate Track and Duplicate Track (Complete). I selected the first option, which gave me a duplicate track, but no instrument sounds. So I tried Duplicate Track (Complete) and this gave me a real duplicated track. Next I tried right-click/Group Selected Tracks -- to merge them. I dunno how I managed it, but somehow I got both of the tracks to disappear. The sounds are still there when I play the tune, but the tracks are gone from the track window. I see a "Hide" command, but no "unHide" command. Trying to bring them back using the Undo function didn't work either. So I was left with the one empty track that I made as an empty duplicate and I went ahead and got rid of it -- right-click/Remove Track.

So I suppose somewhere I have a pair of duplicate tracks that are hiding. Or maybe just one since only one of them is appearing in the console, but not in the tracks window? If those two tracks are playing in unison, however, they're both still dropping the notes in the same spots.

Good point about soloing the track. Now that you mention it, I was getting dropouts when I had the track soloed also.

I gave the piece a more careful listen -- several listens. It drops notes in the melody instrument in the same places each time: measures 30, 50, 58, 61, and 99. One note is dropped each time. There's nothing unusual about each note -- just part of the melody, and each note is different in terms of pitch and length compared to the others being dropped. I also found out that in at least one other track it's dropping notes. This is a rhythm track and when something gets dropped from it, it's an entire chord. I detected only two drops on that track. And if SO3 is dropping notes in those two tracks, I'm sure it's dropping them in others. Maybe that's why the bass and drums are sounding a bit raggedy in places.

Well, until I get to the bottom of this, I can have fun arranging my tunes in SO3, but that's about it.

Best,
Michael
by nicholasdalipsingh on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 pm
That was a bug from 3.5.2...3.5.3 fixed this bug. The current latest version is 3.5.4, Everything works fine now. Download the latest version
by cooltouch on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm
I thought I had the latest version. Turns out I didn't. I'm d/l'ing the latest right now. Hope that fixes it. Man, it takes forever to process/initialize those C++ redistributables. I remember this from when I first installed it.

Best,
Michael
by cooltouch on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 am
Well, I thought I should post a final update.

Nicolas was right. Updating to the latest version of SO3 solved the problem. Yay!

Best,
Michael
by Bbd on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm
Yah! Good to hear!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Glenn Runnels on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 pm
Well as of this date, 2/23/2018 with fully updated daw, still poor midi playback.

Quite frankly SICK AND TIRED of trying to figure it out. TIME IS MONEY!!

Forums are read, videos watched. No problem with studio one 2.

If its my fault somehow tell me what the hell Im doing wrong. But Im not selling stuff that doesn't work!
Glenn Runnels
TWS

8 posts
Page 1 of 1