6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All :)

Firstly, this is my first post on here and my first whilst setting out in the world of DAWs. I'm a long time piano player, although I've not played with Midi since my Amiga 25 years ago.

I'm fortunate enough to have bought myself a CLP-685 - a top of the range Yamaha Clavinova electric piano - that sits next to my computer desk. That I'm using to get better at piano, but I'm keen to explore DAWs to provide the backing instruments to some of the score I like playing, and also to create some standalone music when I get better.

As such I'm comparing the trial and free versions of DAWs. S1, Sonar and Cubase in the main.

I'm really liking S1 and am definitely leaning towards picking up the Pro version, but I have a question around the Midi side. The 685 has a 480 voice XG soundset available to it, and the sounds are all pretty good, but it seems that the only DAW that can address them over Midi is Cubase. Not really a surprise when Steinberg is owned by Yamaha. But as I say I'm leaning towards S1 so I'm keen to see if there's a way that it can address the 480 XG sounds over Midi in the same way that Cubase case (it's just an extension to GM as I understand it).

Not sure really where this thread belongs. Is it a pre-sales question? I may be using the free version of S1 at the moment but only as a precursor to buying Pro when I've finalised my decision.

Thanks all!

Simon
by Skip Jones on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 am
Welcome simondean. I have been using my Yamaha S-08 with XG sounds before Yamaha acquired Steinberg Cubase. You will find that PreSonus approaches MIDI a little differently than Cubase You will need to set up as an external device both as an instrument and a controller. There are a few how to videos out there. Google a how to question on MIDI with Studio One and watch the results. Johnny Geib, Jonny Lipsham, David Vignola are all excellent choices.

Yes, it works with XG and Studio One with a little homework.

Skip

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by simondean on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm
Many thanks for the reply!

I have it working as a 'normal' MIDI device at present, setup as both an instrument (for output) and a Keyboard (for input). Keen to see what the videos offer! I'll have some time to play more with it tomorrow so will check back in then. :)

Thanks again!

Simon
by Skip Jones on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm
Be sure to check your Clavinova's setting for Echo On / Off.

Enjoy!

Skip

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by simondean on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:10 pm
Hi there

Thought I'd check back in after I've had some time to play with it. I found this help document on the Presonus site, and pulled up the MIDI reference and XG Data List for my Clavinova. I found the track inspector and noted that I had to set a different MIDI channel for each track if I wanted to use a different instrument on each, of course. I was then able to successfully send the bank and program numbers to pull up each instrument. Success!

But, what a faff! :) Comparing with Cubase where I'd simply set the Midi channel for each track, tell it that I have an XG device connected and choose my instrument from the list.

Looking around I see that I'm not the only one who's found this a little less than ideal, with the Instrument Definition Manager and also Studio One Helper around to help get around the issue. It'd be nice if Presonus thought to implement such a tool into Studio One, because I prefer every other part of S1 to Cubase because it's just sooo easy to use for a newbie like me. Also I'd like to end up with just one DAW rather than two depending on what jobs I'm trying to do :)

Thanks for your help!

Simon
by Skip Jones on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm
I agree the Cubase does offer a "different" way of handling MIDI that some, including me, find easier to use. This is why I pointed out that Studio One is different in that way. I used to use Cubasse and understand what you are saying. As you stated, there are others who have the same or similar feature request posted on the PreSonus Answers site ---> https://answers.presonus.com/. I invite you to vist there and find a request or post your own for others to vote up or down.

Skip

Skip

6 posts
Page 1 of 1