2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all, I am pretty new to recording, I messed with pro tools years ago when it was pretty new but havent done anything since. My wife wanted to get into it and we decided to start small and got a scarlet 2i2 and a cheap condenser mic. as for hardware i am running a windows 10 laptop, 4ghz i7 with 16 gigs of ram, so the computer should have no issues with recording.

we set it all up today, and when i create a track and select the mic as the input it all seems to work well, I do not have a 1/4 jack headphone set so i am using ear buds and a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter, the issue is with the buds and adapter plugged into either the headphone jack on the front of the 2i2 or the line out in the back, and "record" or "monitor" is selected in the track using that input, i get a terrible screeching distortion, if i unselect record or monitor on the track the distortion goes away completely and it sounds wonderful, also if i record voice with no headphones plugged into the 2i2, then export the file to a WAV and play it, it has no distortion... I feel like i am making a super stupid newbe mistake but after playing with this for a couple of hours i just gave up.... any suggestions
by scottyo7 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 pm
First it seems you should only use the "headphone out" for ear monitoring.
Typically the "line out" usually feeds into a high impedance (2-5 Mega ohms) input... such as a power amp or effects. Headphone/earbuds are 20-50 ohms input impedance.

You list your pc specs but putting them in your signature places them at the bottom of every post you do so we can review them to help you. See mine below and the link just below which should take you to your profile page to do that.
================================================
"Please create a signature* with your PC, SW and HW specs and versions, so we know how to better help you... now and in the future.
================================================

When in Hot topics, place this as my signature to 'cool' things down.

"These opinions are mine and may not be universally agreed upon by everyone else and that's OK, because I'm right anyway... at least to me."

"

What version of Studio One (S1)?
    Have you ensured you have the latest audio driver for your Skarlett unit?

Recording entails a few steps to prep for it... it's not just press the red button and go. ;)
There's level setting, gain staging, etc.. to look at. If you've used an S1 "Template" it's possible it has pre-loaded plugins installed which may cause distortion.

I'd recommend watching some tutorials in your PreSonus account (at the bottom) or many are also on YouTube along with many other S1 users who've made them.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT

2 posts
Page 1 of 1