6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have been looking at the 'free' versions of leading DAW lately. I owned a PT 11 and have been working in it for my video production requirement though I am only a 'self learned engineer'. However, I could produce outstanding sound track part with the competition or even better. Studio One especially version 3 is a beautiful piece of software. It is light weight compared to many other competitor product. I like it a lot and in some areas it excels it competitors. Even though I would want to continue keeping Studio One as one of my DAWs, I miss few things which makes me think if I have to bring in S1 as my primary DAW. I am comparing Pro Toots | First and Studio One 3 Prime. Below are the major areas making me think.

Included Instruments and Plugins
Mixing Windows

I have recorded guitar and vocals using a dynamic mic - SM58 and condenser Rode NT1A. Both Pro Tools First and Studio One 3 Prime sounded equally good to my ears. However when I started adding effects, somehow S1 lacked something compared to PT First prima facie. Also when more tracks are added, S1 Prime seem to be bit behind in placing the tracks in its right place compared to PT First.

When it comes to the instruments, PT First has the same Xpand! available which is found in fully paid versions. The quality of instruments and the possibility of tweaking and customizing PT F and Xpand1 is far ahead of S1 Prime and Presence. Individually the many of the instruments sound good but to my ears, comparatively they lag behind the cutting edge pristine quality of Xpand!.

Another thing I struggle is the mixer section compared to PT. Many a times I am lost compared to the ease, clarify flexibility of the mixer section found in PT F. One window concept is good and compact especially when you have limitation of display span. This is my opinion based on the kind of work I do. However, S1 3 Prime, even though it comes free, is good enough for beginners to go forward with their work and later upgrade to S1 pro versions.

When comparing S1 3 Prime and PT F, one things needs to be seriously looked at, in my opinion. Would people prefer S1 3 Prime if PT First remove the restriction on maximum 3 projects? Though I have only pointed out few thing which put S1 ahead of competition, I have no doubt that it is a super piece of software with great functionality, solid performance with minimum to no headaches in small setups like I have.

Pro Tools, Studio One Prime, Ableton Live, Avid M-Box 3 Pro, Yamaha MSP 5, Novation Impulse, Rode NT1, Shure SM58
http://www.recordingchamber.com
by rickkuhns on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:28 am
The biggest problem I had with Pro Tools First was the iLok key system. Half the time I would try to log in and would get a gateway error. Done, finito, no work. Tried it a few more times and unloaded it from my system. I really wanted to play with PT to see how to move projects from S1 to PT easily as the guy I collaborate with has PT but not even being able to get to the projects just turned me right off.

HP Pavillion desktop, Windows 10 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
Creative Soundblaster Z
S1 Prime v3.2.2
by Vatche on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:26 pm
The one limitation in PT, as you mention, is the cloud based and 3 song limit. Adding local project save with no limit will suffice to be useful, even if the cloud based still available with 3 song limit. Actually local + cloud file will bring PT First ahead.

Avid could make some $ with their Marketplace for plug-ins, one more people start using PT First.

PreSonus just introduced Add-On bundles for S1 Prime, but they are way overpriced! So much so that it is cheaper to purchase the S1 Artist version for 3 times more plugins and options! LOL

RecordingStudio9.com
StudioLive 16 Ser III | Studio 1824 | Studio Channel Tube PreAmplifier | Studio One V4 Pro | Eris E8 Studio Monitors | i7, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 64Bit
by johnphilip1 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 pm
I am running a PT | First at home. I have not come across the login issue. I have owned PT 10 & 11 and I loved working in that. I really feel the instrument quality difference and probably miss the kind of mixing window which is more like a hardware mixer. I think the conclusion is if you do not need the limitations, you pay for it. On the other hand Studio One Prime does the job very well, especially I do not find any difference audio tracks recorded - vocal & guitar.

Pro Tools, Studio One Prime, Ableton Live, Avid M-Box 3 Pro, Yamaha MSP 5, Novation Impulse, Rode NT1, Shure SM58
by johnphilip1 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 am
I did a quick look at the possibility of rewiring PT First in to Studio One 3 Prime. Got lost... could not fine the option. I am sure I am doing something wrong unless this option is blocked.

by Vatche on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 am
Rewire is only available in Studio One Pro or add-n purchase in Artist.

johnphilip1 wroteI did a quick look at the possibility of rewiring PT First in to Studio One 3 Prime. Got lost... could not fine the option. I am sure I am doing something wrong unless this option is blocked.

RecordingStudio9.com
StudioLive 16 Ser III | Studio 1824 | Studio Channel Tube PreAmplifier | Studio One V4 Pro | Eris E8 Studio Monitors | i7, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 64Bit

6 posts
Page 1 of 1