8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Screenshot:

Windows 8.1, 16 GB Ram, 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU 2.40 GH

Am trying studio one demo v2.6.5.30360, on a Lenovo Y40 laptop (Lenovo was IBM)

Current DAW: Cu Base - wanting to switch to Studio One Full Version

Using my Windows Audio driver to my speakers for audio setup. I have an interface in the mail with Studio One Artist, which i had planned to upgrade to Pro.

I have one show stopper on the upgrade purchase: When i add an instrument track to record on, no sound comes through it.

When I add a VST instrument track manually or via drag and drop, the channels show up in the console fine. The track is also created normally. I can hear the instruments fine. I have tried this with an old version of EZ Drummer, and with the instruments that ship with the demo.

The added instrument channels are monitor-enabled, and not muted. I have also ensured no other channels are on solo.

OUT = Instrument , IN = all input, Audio = channel (like EZ1, EZ2) Output = main.

So the question is...how do i get the VST channel to a recordable track?

I really hope someone can help. Obviously it would be foolish to spend $450 on something i can't get to work, but I really like Studio One.

I get the feeling I'm just doing something wrong. Screen sharing would be great if anyone would prefer to just "show me". Paul - 419-345-1697

(I know how writing back and forth in forums can be time consuming. )

I need to ensure it works before the trial expires.

Thanks
by pturnberg on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:16 pm
EDIT: I downloaded and installed the demo 3.2.1 (Studio One 3) thinking VST instruments might be disabled in version 2, and re-tried. The loops import fine, recording is fine, but still no sound from VST instruments.

Are VST instruments disabled in the demo or something?
by Steve Carter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:34 pm
Hi.....
Studio One Artist does not support VST(i) without the add-on pack see this link for version comparison...http://studioone.presonus.com/compare-versions

However, your picture shows that you are trying to use Presence, which is included with Artist and should work for you. You haven't said how you are attempting to input your music... You cannot use the Presence gui keyboard to input in record mode, you'll need an external keyboard or, alternatively you can use your computer qwerty keyboard - counter intuative but, if I'm not suffering a brain meltdown, that's how it works!

Hope this helps ~ Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by pturnberg on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Thank you so much for answering..this is driving me insane. (Or I'm already there)

i am using the Demo of Version 3, not Artist, which i was told is the full professional version on a 30 day trial.

I am not sure why VST instruments would not be something you can record when you play them live, but specifically, i am testing to be sure my EZ Drummer works with this DAW.

I took a screenshot of Precense to rule out compatibility issues with EZ Drummer, in case that was the issue. I had thought people might reply with "What version of EZ Drummer are you using?"

So in the end, how do you get sound out of a VST instrument, like EZ Drummer, to a track?

In the tutorials I've seen the person just drags it over, and poof, its playing on a track. I get the track, just no bars on the sound meter.

I certainly can't play a drum groove on my keyboard. I think you are referring more to a straight midi instrument.
by Steve Carter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:28 pm
I use EZ Drummer and can confirm that it works with S1v3. I have the full version of S1v3 so not sure if the demo version works with third party VST's.

A couple of observations....
It is possible to play a drum groove from an external keyboard directly to an instrument track (or your qwerty keyboard but without any velocity sensitivity) but you have to assign a sound module/sample player like Presonus' Presence or Impact or indeed, as in your case, EZDrummer to the instrument track in order to hear what's playing/recorded.

With EZDrummer you can drag the VSTi to an instrument track and it's ready to go, you shouldn't need to make any adjustments to input/output channels etc in the Inspector pane it should all be set up automagically. Use the EZD supplied drum patterns either within the EZD plugin arranger track and/or drag them into your S1 instrument track. Either way, if you have S1 set up properly to output sound to your speakers/headphones you should be able to hear your drum patterns playing. Have you got the output level of EZD turned up?

To check that you have a viable output from S1 you could substitute Presence for EZD and utilise one of Presences drum kit presets to play the midi patterns on your track.

Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by pturnberg on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:04 pm
Thank you Steve. I registered Artist 3 today, and look forward to getting the upgrade.

IDK what I'm missing, but confirmation that it works with EZ Drummer is enough for me at the moment.
by Steve Carter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 pm
Ok ... Good luck, if you need any more help with EZD you can contact me. Don't forget that Artist will need the VST add-on to work with EZD.
Regards... Steve

by adamkramer on Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:17 pm
I have a similar issue I am playing a Roland t 17 into studio one and ez drummer my Midi says the connection is good but no sound I’ve done this before and can confirm That it works I am just puzzled why suddenly I have no sound everything is working like my headphones in my connections

8 posts
Page 1 of 1