8 posts
Page 1 of 1

Considering the recent suggestions to make one-page help for Studio One, here is a one-page PDF to download and print covering many aspects of the full-featured Lyric capability in Studio One 6. Please see the manual for all the details.

Presonus chose to go beyond adding lyrics to the fundamental score view provided by other DAW/Notation applications. In the debut implementation, they have addressed three primary roles that can make use of lyrics in your song.

1. The Producer can make use of lyrics in the day-to-day navigation of the song to find punch-ins for fixing vocals or use them as queues in the new video track for precise synchronization of visuals with a word. See the command below to align lyrics purely to audio tracks with no notation.
  2. The Performer can easily use the lyrics in the Show Page on a second monitor to conveniently display the lyrics as a prompt during their performance.
  3. For the Singer-Songwriter this is where the lyrics capability really shines. Not only can you enter lyrics in the normal fashion you expect in a notation program such as Notion, but you can also more freely enter lyrics directly on the Melody Tracks Lyrics Lane of your song allowing for the behaviors of a word processor for difficult tasks such as shifting entire lyrics to the right or left in the case of a missing or forgotten syllables or words but also doing large scale edits such as moving an entire verses or phrases to the left or right. The Songwriters should enjoy the natural crafting of melody notes and word/syllables of their song using the Lyric Lane approach.

• Lyric text can easily be dropped onto the Global Lyric Track or Melody Track Lyric Lane.
  • MIDI file can be dropped onto a melody track instrument to inherit the notes and additionally dropped on the corresponding Lyric Lane of the same melody track instrument.
  • Using the Global Lyric Track, Press [Alt+Return/Enter] to align the currently selected Lyric Event with the Play Cursor and select the next Lyric Event. This can be done during the playback to quickly align dropped-in lyrics to the exact timing of the lyrics found on an audio track.
  • Hidden in this new lyric's capability is the solution to a long-awaited issue of importing large MIDI files into Studio One. Any size MIDI files can now be imported directly into Studio One!
  • NOTE: Multiple versus lyrics created on Notion can be imported into Studio One showing the multi-lyric verses. This can be useful for printed lyrics for a vocalist in the studio however because Studio One has a sequential representation of the song with no repeats or jumps it might be more convenient to enter the lyrics sequentially following the sequential flow of your song. The current transfer of MIDI data from Notion to Studio One does not support lyrics.

Lyrics Overview1.pdf
(223.63 KiB) Downloaded 12233 times

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Bbd on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:36 pm
Thanks for this Jeff.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Steve Carter on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:54 pm
[*] Hidden in this new lyric's capability is the solution to a long-awaited issue of importing large MIDI files into Studio One. Any size MIDI files can now be imported directly into Studio One.

Why/how is this “hidden in this new lyric’s capability’ - do you have to drag and drop a midi file onto the lyric track or is the import function in a drop-down menu on the lyric track, or something else? I, in my usual state of ignorance and bereft of v6, fail to comprehend what or why importing a midi file, large or otherwise, has to do with lyrics!

Regards…

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by jpettit on Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:24 pm
Steve Carter wrote[*] Hidden in this new lyric's capability is the solution to a long-awaited issue of importing large MIDI files into Studio One. Any size MIDI files can now be imported directly into Studio One.

Why/how is this “hidden in this new lyric’s capability’ - do you have to drag and drop a midi file onto the lyric track or is the import function in a drop-down menu on the lyric track, or something else? I, in my usual state of ignorance and bereft of v6, fail to comprehend what or why importing a midi file, large or otherwise, has to do with lyrics!

Regards…

The only thing this surprising change has to do with lyrics is importing MIDI songs with lyrics, which might be a larger size. For those who had issues with important MIDI song files exceeding a certain size in the past, (with or without lyrics), the limit is no longer there to prompt you to start a new song.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Steve Carter on Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:46 am
Ah - OK, I think!

So in the past, whenever I’ve tried to import (drag and drop) a multi-track midi file (no lyrics) into a S1 song I’m working on it always opens as a new song. I then have to copy from the new song and paste into the working song - frustrating! Are you saying that this shouldn’t happen now because S1 v6 allows for importing larger midi files into an existing song, or am I still missing the point? Thanks…

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by jpettit on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:45 am
Yes, I believe this to be true, but test for yourself.

by dgkenney on Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:08 pm
Thanks for this. I am still convinced that a feature add of being able to shift/select multiple lines in the Lyrics window that produces a loop on the arrange window, would be an incredible tool for punch-ins when working with a vocalist.

It's all down hill from what's in front of the microphone. - Bob Olhsson

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by jpettit on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 am
6.1 Now support importing MIDI files with lyrics at the melody note level.
Many internet sources will have a MIDI track for the melody or vocals with the syllables associated with each note. (Found in standard music notation).

They can now directly be imported into your song.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1