3 posts
Page 1 of 1
New to S1 pretty much. I'm recording some songs using all plug-ins. I run my (electric) guitar straight into the USB96 box and then using Archetype Gojira plug ins for the amps. My headphones are AKG K52.

I have all the guitar and bass tracks recorded over a programmed midi drum track.

The problem is, it does not sound loud in my headphones. If I increase any volumes on the S1 console (gains or sliders), I am getting terrible popping/spikes from latency (I think).

Does it matter that when I am recording, it does not sound very loud in my headphones? Will I be able to make it louder down the road in mixing?

I'm currently watching a video on latency to learn more.

Thanks.

Andrew

Edit - and I mean it is popping when I listen back to the tracks but not when I record.

Intel Core i9-10900X 10-Core 3.7GHz (4.5Ghz TurboBoost)
MSI X299 Pro Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz (4x8GB)
NVidia 8GB GeForce RTX 2080 Super
2TB Samsung 870 QVO Series
Corsair 750X RMX Series Plus Gold Power
Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:31 am
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital audio, a world of low noise (which is good) and clipping (which is not good).

Low noise means that low levels when recording isn't the end of the world (most of the time). But setting levels too high (when recording or during playback) will cause clipping, which is the end of the world. The popping you hear is probably clipping. The USB96 has a pretty loud headphone output. Have you set it to max, or did you try to turn up the levels in S1? The first is better than the latter if you want to avoid clipping.

And then, to make a mix louder is a craft. My guess is that your mix still has too much 'empty' in it. Listen very carefully to a a few professional mixes/songs from the genre you're in. In particular listen for stuff in the background (instruments and effects) and try to add some of that to your mix. It should move you in the right direction :)
by andrewhogue1 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:12 pm
I see. Yeah, probably "too much empty", as there are only two guitar tracks, a bass and a drum track. I mess with the box levels some more. Thanks.

Intel Core i9-10900X 10-Core 3.7GHz (4.5Ghz TurboBoost)
MSI X299 Pro Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz (4x8GB)
NVidia 8GB GeForce RTX 2080 Super
2TB Samsung 870 QVO Series
Corsair 750X RMX Series Plus Gold Power
Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus

3 posts
Page 1 of 1