7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all:
I'm a relative newbie to digital recording so please be gentle.
I have a Yamaha MX-88 which I am using a controller keyboard in conjunction with a Studio 24c Interface and Studio One 5 Artist software. I sometimes use the internal sounds in the MX as audio instruments, - I would like to use them as VST instruments so I can edit them as MIDI files.

The Studio One manual indicates that this is possible - I have tried to follow the instructions there but after several frustrating hours I I still haven't been able to do it. Please, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanx/ Bruce/ Poole UK
by Trucky on Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:56 pm
Post the steps (external device files used, assigned MIDI and audio ports, etc.) you've followed and tried so far to help us determine why it's not working for you.

Here's some helpful setup related videos to check out:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by brucegriffin on Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:27 pm
Hi Trucky:
I followed the steps outlined in the manual under "Set Up Your MIDI devices". I easily set up my MX 88 as a controller, howver I found the instruftions for setting it up as an external MIDI instrument ambiguous and confusing. I ended up with the MX functioning neither as a controller or receiver, had to delete and start over. After a couple of hours of this I got flustered. Managed to get the thing working again as a controller. Of course, I can use the thing as an regular audio instrument, What I want to do is use the sounds in it as MIDI files, like I would if it was a VST instrument, to make editing easier.

Dos that make any sense??? Thanks Cheers!!! Bruce
by johnnygeib2 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm
I see you watched my video. Now the thing to remember is that you need audio outs of the MX connected all the time to hear the sounds. There is no menu available like on a VST instrument as with Studio One you only have access to the patch numbers from the inspector. If you watch my video again you will see that. If you are still having trouble, feel free to email me and we can hook up on the phone, Skype or zoom and walk through it. [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

by brucegriffin on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:45 pm
Thanx for the prompt reply. I'll try again in the next day or two and get back to you Cheers!! Bruce
by brucegriffin on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:01 am
themuzic wroteI see you watched my video. Now the thing to remember is that you need audio outs of the MX connected all the time to hear the sounds. There is no menu available like on a VST instrument as with Studio One you only have access to the patch numbers from the inspector. If you watch my video again you will see that. If you are still having trouble, feel free to email me and we can hook up on the phone, Skype or zoom and walk through it. [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Hi:
Yes, I watched the video again, and followed your instructions ( I think!). Around the 2:00 minute mark, you click on "External Instruments" in the browser and Studio One shows your two new External instruments....when I tried...nothing!
I'd like to take you up on your kind offer of a skype or Zoom hook up, at your convenience.( I'm located in the UK, so ,depending on where in the US you are, I'm 5-8 hours ahead of you)..Let me know..

Thank you very much Cheers!! Bruce
by brucegriffin on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm
OK . Finally figured it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosSFhMrxzA

7 posts
Page 1 of 1