8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I must be a bit thick!, sorry - definite noob in Studio One!

Now, let me tell you - I am used to DAW software - I have been using Pro Tools for years with no issue. Comping, Elastic Audio, etc etc its all natural to me.

But now I have recorded a live band with my Presonus 24 StudioLive and loaded it up into Studio One 2 Artist 2.6 on Win 7 64 bit PC

I can go into edit mode on a track, no probs. I can select a range using the range tool, no probs. I can then hit the Del key and delete that section, no probs.

But what i really want to do is just to Mute that selection, not delete it. Do you think I can figure out how to do it ? nope!

When i engage the Mute tool, it mutes the entire track,not the selected bit - and I cant see why.

Can anyone put me out of my misery please ?

any help much appreciated!
Thanks
David
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:31 pm
you need to slice that section first, then use the mute tool.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by snakethumper on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 pm
Ah ok yes i think you meant Split,

I just tried it, it works,

two step process

Thanks Matt!
by Lawrence on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 pm
two step process

As an additional note, and also because Matt isn't a long winded blowhard like me so he more often gets right to the meaty flesh without dressing... :lol:

Mute is a one step process with range selection, if you don't consider a click or marquee selection or range selection a step in either method. Firing mute on a range selection assumes split, it splits and mutes.
by brantsatala on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:11 am
I must be just as "thick" because for the life of me, I have not been able to figure out this same exact process of muting a range of a track. It is completely un-intuitive the way they've made this feature.

So you have to splice the range first? Then mute that range?

If you have explained another method, I guess I don't understand what you mean by "firing" mute.

I've tried to select the area with the combined select tool and then variations of switching to mute and it still mutes beyond the selected range.

Could I trouble you to please give a step by step?

Thank you so much!
Brant
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 am
You can also rt click the mute button on the channel, and select "Edit Mute Automation". This opens and automation envelope on the track in arrange, and you can use that to turn mute off/on.

I'll let Lawrence clarify his other comment for you so I don't get anything wrong in the explanation.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Lawrence on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:28 am
It logically assumes split (well, "auto splits") when you fire "Mute Events" or similar things on a range selection, it splits the selection range and mutes it....

Same with other things like clip gain or quantize on midi clips, etc. The range selection is an edit filter so if I hit Q below it will split the range and only quantize that note under the range selection...

Unlike Cubase, it always has to split to do that, so it splits first.
by Tony Chapman on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:49 am
not if you are using melodyne 5 ... i have found most things have to done on the melodyned track

8 posts
Page 1 of 1