81 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Problem still remains in 3.5.1...Still no metering when recording without monitor button engaged. You can hear the signal being recorded but get no metering at all??....I was really hoping this would be addressed in the latest update, but sadly not....
by jpettit on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 am
Tape style on
At stop or while recording?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Jessa on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 pm
Tape style off, Monitor button off, arm track you can see and hear signal, hit record and you can still hear signal but see nothing on the meter.as you are recording.
by jpettit on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 pm
Try with tape style on.
Z on or off or are you monitoring out of box?

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Jessa on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 am
Don't want Tape style on as i want to hear playback & live input before any punchin, yes Z is off as I'm monitoring through Studio 192 DSP. The last time i remember it working this way was in 2.6.
by jpettit on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 am
Read page 15 of the new manual.
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=25650

by frank.crow on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 pm
Wow
Very Informative
Thanks 😀

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by damienosborne on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 pm
Yeah I agree. Everything was working perfectly until this recent update, now the metering is backwards and my audio tracks I've recorded in are out of time badly. It's really strange because they are actually being placed too early timing wise into the arrangement. This was never the case before so it's really messing up my workflow 😔 I'm prob going to just go back to the last version.

I'm using a NI komplete audio 6 btw

Apart from that Studio One is brilliant, good job guys! :+1
by brettgoodkin on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:45 pm
jpettit wroteIt is very important to always describe the following when describing monitoring questions of issues:
Options
1) ZLM State
2) Tape Style State
3) Monitor State

Scenarios
1) In the Box Non ZLM Monitoring / Soft Instrument
2) In the Box ZLM Monitoring / Real Instrument
3) Out of Box Monitoring / Real Instrument

Behaviors:
1) Record Meters
2) Live Audio Monitoring
3) Existing track Audio Monitoring

Thanks
------------------------------------
Updated with 3.3.1 procedures and pictures.
This is just a few pages from the Zero latency Handbook (See PDF attached in this post).
Please see the 8 page PDF attached below if you want to learn the how to use it or how it works..

How do you know if you have Zero Monitoring Capabilities
1) You will see a “Z” underneath the hardware interface icon on the start page.

2) You will see the Z icon in your Audio Channels (if Cue mix is set on the main out), and in any Cue mix (if cue is set for your non main outs)

Create cue mixes for monitoring any "Z" mix.

5.10.1 Creating a Cue Mix Output
In Studio One, it is possible to quickly and easily create multiple cue mixes. A cue mix is separate from the main mix and is usually provided to musicians for monitoring purposes during recording.

For instance, when recording vocals, the engineer and vocalist will probably want to hear
different mixes. Most vocalists want to hear more of their vocals in the mix, possibly with some
reverb to make it sound natural, while the engineer might focus on how the performance
balances with the rest of the mix.

The first step in building a cue mix is to create another Output Channel. To do this, open the
Song/Song Setup/Audio I/O Setup menu in a Song, switch to the Outputs tab, and add a new
Stereo Output channel. Next, specify that this output is a cue-mix output by clicking on the
channel’s Cue Mix checkbox. You can create as many cue mixes as your audio interface has
available stereo outputs.

Enable Z
Click the "Z" On, either on the channel for main outputs or on the cue mix. You will hear the "Z" latency in your corresponding output when you do this.

"Z" Monitoring
The procedure is for recording or auto punch in recording mode:
1. Record-enable AND Monitor-enable the new track(s).
2. Verify the "Z" is set for you monitoring cue.
3. You will hear the source at a "Z" latency level. (You are hearing the monitoring from the hardware)
4. Record the track listening to the "Z" cue mix.
5. To hear the recorded track turn off "Z" or the Monitor button.

"Z" Monitoring with (Tape Style)
If you are using the Tape Style monitoring, use this procedure:
1. Turn Tape Style monitoring on in the Options/Advance/Console
2. Record-enable the new track (Disable the Monitor button if you want to use auto punch in)
3. Verify the "Z" is set for you monitoring cue.
4. Record the track listening to the "Z" cue mix.
5. In Tape Style, because the Monitor button is off you will hear the recorded track on playback.

The PDF Handbook has more includes more details like Tape Style Monitoring vs. Non Tape Style Monitoring, Monitoring with Effects (optional),Signal Flow Reference, How The Delays are Handled by Studio One, Technical References. Be sure to check it out if you need more information.
Monitoring Table

Quick question...

What's best practice with the low latency monitoring... Turn it on during tracking and then off when mixing or always leave it on?

Also, when using pipeline to patch in outboard should low latency be turned on or off?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/brotherbrim/sets ... ernational

win 11 pro... S1 pro latest version... 64 bits... Rme latest drivers... All the ram and i9 3900k monster...
by jpettit on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:21 pm
It does not matter much for 3.5.x as there is always a playback buffer setting and a record buffer settings. It is also very scenario based depending on plugins > 3ms or not, you system capability with Z on of off, etc.

by jpettit on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm
Jessa wroteTape style off, Monitor button off, arm track you can see and hear signal, hit record and you can still hear signal but see nothing on the meter.as you are recording.

Sorry, so tell me again why this is an issue?

by danielpalm on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 am
jpettit wrote
Jessa wroteTape style off, Monitor button off, arm track you can see and hear signal, hit record and you can still hear signal but see nothing on the meter.as you are recording.

I record arm the track I want to record on and the levels are coming in on that track accordingly but as soon as I hit record OR play the meter stops showing the input signal! That's quite obvious an issue. If I can't run the track without loosing the input meter how am I supposed to check the recording levels to the song that the singer or whatever is preforming to?
Yes, there is a workaround in whatching the levels on the input channels instead but that doesnt tell you what tracks are being recorded witch is another obvious issue, especially when multi tracking. As it is now you wont be able to tell from the meters if you've accidently missed to arm a track for example. It's a big dissapointment that S1 team have ignored this, especially as it is VERY basic and worked before in 3.2 and before.  As in any compatible DAW.

iMac 2012 21' 3.1 Ghz intel i7 8 Gb ram Mac OS 10.8.5
Studio One Pro 3
UA Apollo Quad Thunderbolt
UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Octo Core
Focal solo 6 monitors, SPL MTC Monitor controller
BLUE Kiwi mic (keeps coming back to my Kiwi, just love it!)
Nord Stage 2 for all the piano sounds
Nord Electro 4D for the organ sounds
Prophet 12 for pure inspiration :D
Previously worked in Digital Performer, Cocos Reaper, Ableton Live and Logic. Gonna stick to S1 most likely!
by jpettit on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 am
danielpalm wrote
jpettit wrote

I record arm the track I want to record on and the levels are coming in on that track accordingly but as soon as I hit record OR play the meter stops showing the input signal! That's quite obvious an issue.

<=== this is why I asked how that is an issue?

If I can't run the track without loosing the input meter how am I supposed to check the recording levels to the song that the singer or whatever is preforming to?

<== I am just looking for why that is a showstopper?
My assumption is this is a 4th workflow which I call "out of the box" monitoring for people with mixing boards. This workflow is documented in pre 3.5 but not yet it post 3.5 monitoring document.
I am guessing their response will be, 1) set the proper level before hitting record. If you have a need to "ride the input" then 2) use you faster responding board meter or the actual shown waves as you record. The issue with the later is the response time of the GUI is based on the slower DP buffer size.

doesnt tell you what tracks are being recorded witch is another obvious issue, especially when multi tracking. As it is now you wont be able to tell from the meters if you've accidently missed to arm a track for example.

<=== this is a new input. But they will say check it before you start. I am not resisting your response just looking for a case to make to them.
Thanks

by danielpalm on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 am
I record arm the track I want to record on and the levels are coming in on that track accordingly but as soon as I hit record OR play the meter stops showing the input signal! That's quite obvious an issue.

<=== this is why I asked how that is an issue?

If I can't run the track without loosing the input meter how am I supposed to check the recording levels to the song that the singer or whatever is preforming to?

<== I am just looking for why that is a showstopper?
My assumption is this is a 4th workflow which I call "out of the box" monitoring for people with mixing boards. This workflow is documented in pre 3.5 but not yet it post 3.5 monitoring document.
I am guessing their response will be, 1) set the proper level before hitting record. If you have a need to "ride the input" then 2) use you faster responding board meter or the actual shown waves as you record. The issue with the later is the response time of the GUI is based on the slower DP buffer size.

doesnt tell you what tracks are being recorded witch is another obvious issue, especially when multi tracking. As it is now you wont be able to tell from the meters if you've accidently missed to arm a track for example.

<=== this is a new input. But they will say check it before you start. I am not resisting your response just looking for a case to make to them.
Thanks[/quote][/quote]

I get that, and I appriciate it! ;)

Firstly, the 1) assuming response to set the proper level before hit rec, I usually let the singer sing through the song while I'm setting the levels but since I cant see the meters when I hit play (or record for that matter) it forces me to look at the board meter as you mentioned. And why is that an issue? Well for instance, I have to open up the mixing board to see the board meter witch then will conceal the arrange window. (Ecpecially if I want to see the meter in more detail as I would have to "resize" the whole mixer window for that)
It gives me a much better workflow to see the arranger window with all the tracks, setting the level in the track inspector on the left side (witch I can resize to great detail without taking any space from arrange window to speak of) than have to go back and forth between the mixer window and arrange.

And also, I can't see only the input channel I'm recording on on the input channel board like in the arrange with the inspector, all the channels are visible at all times. So if I didn't care about seeing the arrange window but just the mixing board, half of the space would be occupied by the input meters. And as there are a channel input for all mono inputs and the stereo inputs for the same channels it takes up quite a lot of space when having 8 inputs from the soundcard.

It would just be easier to have the mixer channels visible and be able to see the input levels on them when running through/recording a song. Like that the possibilitys to cutomise the visability of the mixingboard/arrange window etc its much more versatile.

And lastly, why its such an showstopper is probably the question I haven't got an answer to yet, why they took it away in the first place? :D

I hope I manage to explain why it messes up my workflow. Not big time, I can work but it would be just a lot easier to have it back as before.

Once again, I appriciate your effort on this!

Thanx,

Daniel

Studio One Pro 3
Previously worked in Digital Performer, Cocos Reaper, Ableton Live and Logic. Gonna stick to S1 most likely!
by jpettit on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 am
danielpalm wrote1) assuming response to set the proper level before hit rec, I usually let the singer sing through the song while I'm setting the levels but since I cant see the meters when I hit play (or record for that matter) it forces me to look at the board meter as you mentioned.

<== This is a point noted.

And why is that an issue? Well for instance, I have to open up the mixing board to see the board meter witch then will conceal the arrange window. (Ecpecially if I want to see the meter in more detail as I would have to "resize" the whole mixer window for that)

<== point noted

It gives me a much better workflow to see the arranger window with all the tracks, setting the level in the track inspector on the left side (witch I can resize to great detail without taking any space from arrange window to speak of) than have to go back and forth between the mixer window and arrange.

<== point noted

And also, I can't see only the input channel I'm recording on on the input channel board like in the arrange with the inspector, all the channels are visible at all times. So if I didn't care about seeing the arrange window but just the mixing board, half of the space would be occupied by the input meters. And as there are a channel input for all mono inputs and the stereo inputs for the same channels it takes up quite a lot of space when having 8 inputs from the soundcard. It would just be easier to have the mixer channels visible and be able to see the input levels on them when running through/recording a song. Like that the possibilitys to cutomise the visability of the mixingboard/arrange window etc its much more versatile.

<== still digesting

And lastly, why its such an showstopper is probably the question I haven't got an answer to yet, why they took it away in the first place? :D

<== don't know. I had asked them to fix it a year ago when they started the whole effort to solve the playback vs record buffer issue. I am guessing they are not as clear on "out of the box" monitoring

I will summarize later today

by danielpalm on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 am
Thank's a lot, much appreciated!

Studio One Pro 3
by Jessa on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm
Still no fix to this basic function??...WOW!!, Blown away...
by Cold on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 pm
It's incredibly annoying. This should have been fixed months ago.

Main system: Win10 64, i7 8700k, 32GB ram, studio one pro 4,(2x) Motu HD192, Motu 24 i/o, 2408 mk3, Allen and Heath Gl4000 32ch mixer, etc.
Guitar sim system: Win 10 64, i5 2400 3.1ghz, 8GB ram, studio one pro 4, Cantabile, Behringer UMC204HD
by danielpalm on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 am
I cant believe it! A new update and no fix!!??? This shouldn't even be discussed! And not a word on why they removed it int the first place and why it ain't fixed yet, or when they plan to do it. so disapointed

Studio One Pro 3
by Jessa on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm
Can we get an idea of when this issue is going to be addressed?,

81 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5