27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Until such day as Studio One give us the option for a safe/debug opening of a song, use this procedure to fix a broken song.
Something in the “.song file” was incorrectly written to the computer. This can happen due to the environment of your computer changing while working on the song, or a misbehaving plugin.

Steps:
A) FIRST IF YOU ARE STUCK WITH AUTO OPEN, OPENING THE BAD SONG?
If not go to the STEPS TO DEBUG SONG.
If you are stuck in a mode where you have turned on "open last song/project" you will have to edit the Studio One.settings first.

B) Go to your Settings Folder: via the Studio One Help Menu/Open Settings folder

On Windows Path = C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 2
For Mac the Path = ~/Library/Application Support/PreSonus Software/Studio One 2

The File = Studio One.settings (open with text editor like Notepad and edit this section)
Code: Select all
Section path="Configuration
      <Attributes>
         <PersistentAttributes x:id="values">
            <Attribute id="Application.DocumentHandler.startupAction" value="1"

set "Application.DocumentHandler.startupAction";

Change value="1" value=1 to to value="0";
C) This will turn off auto load the last song so you can open Studio One without a song. Save the change and open Studio One.

STEPS TO DEBUG SONG

1) First make a copy of your song so you have it as a safety.
Use the File Manager to go to your song directory and find Your_stuck_song.song and add _debug to it, so that you can disect it.
2) Open Studio One
3) Go to Options/Advanced/Services
To start take an educated guess of what might be hanging up your song. (Did you start using a VST3? Did you start a video? Did you start using Melodyne? Did you just try out a new VST2 plugin?)
Disable the service that might be related to why your song no longer opens.
4) Close Studio One and Re-oen Studio One with the service off
5) Try to open your bad song.

Did it open?
If yes the issue is with the service you just turned off.
If no then you guess wrong. Repeat the process and turn the service that you turned off back on and disable another service off.
Repeat until you have isolated the services that is having the issue.

6) YOU NOW KNOW THE SERVICE BUT NOT THE PLUGIN
Use the flowchart below to turn off/disable or remove plugins etc that are associated with that service.
EXAMPLE:
If you turned off VST3 then turn off half of your VST3 plugins to isolate the bad plugin. Repeat as needed.
If you turned off VST2 then turn off half of your VST2 plugins to isolate the bad plugin. Repeat as needed.
If you turned off ARA, then remove Melodyne from tracks. Repeat as needed.

Follow the procedure below and you will fix your problem.
It has saved me a few songs in the past so I hope it helps.

Attachments
2018-01-04_8-04-05.png

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by brentstrathdee on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm
I have a couple of recent songs that open and then quickly crash S1 (screen goes a milky white then I get a crash message..).

On rare occasion it doesn't crash and I can work on the song :) but mostly it crashes :(

Is this method one I should try?

Windows - 7 (64 bit)
Studio One (Version 3.3.1)
Tascam iu2
Akai MPK25 Midi Controller
by jpettit on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 pm
Yes
Try to disable VST plugins first.
Go for both VST2 and 3

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by brentstrathdee on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 pm
Ok so iv got as far as where it crosses over to the 2nd flow chart - I've identified that the prob is in the vst 2.4 bunch (which is most of them in this song!)

I don't understand the next instruction on how to now check the plug-ins themselves one by one?

I have the song playing (minus all the 2.4 plugs) but now what?

Windows - 7 (64 bit)
Tascam iu2
by brentstrathdee on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 pm
It looks like its worked so THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE TIP/TRICK!

The only thing thats weird is I basically skipped the whole 'check each plug-in' because I didnt know how to do it but I did:
* turn off the service (2.4 plugins)
* renamed the song
* turned plugins back on

it's reopened successfully a few times in a row so fingers crossed! ;)

Windows - 7 (64 bit)
Tascam iu2
by jpettit on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 pm
So you got S1 to to rewrite one of the 2.0 plugin saved settings by tuning them all on again.

In the future when you have a service like VST 2 plugins narrowed down then just go and and disable 1/2 of the red plugins save and retry turning the service back on. Repeat as needed.
This way you narrow down to a specific plug in eventually.

by brentstrathdee on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 am
I couldnt see how to turn off each plugin while the song was open - in fact I dont know how to disable a plugin at all (only how to remove it from the list)

Windows - 7 (64 bit)
Tascam iu2
by RochesterDude on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am
Thanks, wow, this just happened to me with one of my Slate plugs after I upgraded the plug. Nothing was working, tried a system restore (PC version) but that didn't work, then read your post yesterday. A total time savor. This is going into my solutions folder for future reference.
Can I by you a doughnut?
Thanks again

Windows 10
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 Intel i7
32 gig memory
Studio One 4
Thunderbolt Interface to Quantum box
StudioLive32 board
Adam A7x - with matching sub
by brentstrathdee on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:08 pm
Just had another song do this to me yesterday so I'll repeat the process for that one too ;) what actually causes the problem :?:

Windows - 7 (64 bit)
Tascam iu2
by incognito on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:41 am
Also after you get it to load after turning off the correct services ,If your song doesn't have too many tracks you can save each channels FXchain as a preset.
Then remove all effects re save the song under new name. Turn services back on load the new song and start loading channel FXchains this is probably best way to go if you have problems in your VST department ... as an error will come if there is a problem ...
by mikemanthei on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:35 pm
For the truly geeky among you, you might also get some mileage out of the fact that the .song file is actually a zip file. It is all stored as XML files and organized in folders. After making changes here, the entire folder structure can then be re-zipped back as a new .song file. I've made a few very simple changes to verify, and it works well.

For the non-technical, make sure you have a backup. I can only imagine the kind of corruption you could commit if you're not skilled at editing XML. Lots of things can be edited from here, although if it's a valid song file, it's WAY easier to make the edits in the UI.

So maybe someone could come up with a repair tool that expands the .song file and repairs obvious XML errors. But actually just being able to open the song file and see what's going on in there might be help enough.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by bullethead on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 am
Hello, what software did you use to open a .song file and re-zip it afterwards? I know you can use SOne3's browser and "show contents" of the file, but it would be cool to find an external program that would allow editing and re-zipping....

BULLETHEAD BEATZ
MAC OS X 10.9.3
2.8 GHx Quad-Core Intel Xenon
by Nirrad85 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:05 pm
So I know which plug-in is causing my freezing to happen...When I uninstall the plug in, song opens no problem! However, I need this plug in for this song :x

I'm using Maschine 2.4 on a Maschine Studio midi controller. Every time I open this one song, or open a new song and then try to load Maschine 2.4 it freezes my system! Everything worked until I updated to this 2.4 version last night. I have opened Ableton and it loads Maschine just fine...the stand-alone software Maschine 2.4 works fine, but not S1 v3. I have since tried uninstalling and reinstalling the old version. It still freezes my computer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
AMD FX - 8320 8 Core Processor, 3500 MHz
32 GB RAM
S1 V3.1.1 64-Bit
by mikemanthei on Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 am
bullethead wroteHello, what software did you use to open a .song file and re-zip it afterwards? I know you can use SOne3's browser and "show contents" of the file, but it would be cool to find an external program that would allow editing and re-zipping....

I have no idea what you'd use in Mac land. A PC has native support for .zip files... at least for the past 16 years or so...

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Sturphy on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:25 pm
This was very very useful today. Thank you!

6 core Mac Pro 2013 OS 10.14.6 | 32GB Ram | Studio One 5 Pro | Orion Studio 2017 | Dangerous 2Bus+ | TK Audio BC1-S | Too many plugins...
by garyshepherd on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 am
Very helpful indeed!

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by DrummaMan on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 pm
This thread should be saved for all to see!!
Thank you for this.

Cakewalk's Sonar/Sonar Platinum allowed you to open in "Safe" mode, which upon a project opening, would ask you one-by-one if you wanted to run a plugin.

The wise folk at Presonus/Studio One know this feature would be a great one to add.

It's just a matter of time...

Add "Include Mix FX" Check Box when saving Custom FX Chains: https://answers.presonus.com/73924/save ... x-channels - THUMB IT UP!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Windows 10 Pro x64 running on a custom tower PC with ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II MOBO/ LGA 2066 Intel Core i9 X (12 Core), 64GB RAM, 1TB M.2 (OS), 2TB M.2 (Sample Libraries) 2TB SSD for audio, 1TB Raptor Audio Backup, 4TB Storage/Backup Drive, (1) UAD2 Octo, (2) UAD2 Quad, Lynx Aurora 16/AES16e, Radeon RX 570 ROG Video Card
by jameswampler on Tue May 19, 2020 8:14 am
VST 2.4 Was the issue. Thank You!
by mivey on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:46 am
Dropping this dime in the bucket also since I didn't see it mentioned.

If you're on a Mac, disable the Audio Unit Plugin Support option that isn't shown on Windows based systems. A "Lot" of unidentified crashes and issues I initially had migrating to Studio One were immediate addressed by disabling the AU component. ;)

=============================
iMac Pro
MacOSX 10.15.5 (Catalina)
8-Core 3.8GHz Xenon
256GB RAM

Universal Apollo x8p
Presonus Quantum 26x32
Studio One 5
by jeffbanks on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 am
Is there an answer to why certain plugin formats resets settings weird after failures (crashes).Ive noticed that removing the VST3 plugins from my Library that caused the crash would set knob and rotaries to minimum and maximum values when loaded onto another machine. There's slightly more to this but wanted to know if anyone has an explanation.

macOS Catalina, Late 2014 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 , Samsung EVO 850, 16 GB RAM, Presonus Quantum, Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2, Studio One 5

27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2