4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am brand new to Studio One after 20 years of using other software DAWs, mostly in Windows.

So, I've got 3 Audio PCs (currently running Windows 7, soon to update at least 2 to Windows 10), and a Macbook Pro running OSX Yosemite (likely not upgrading beyone) and dual-booted to Windows 7.

Wondering from current users who use Studio One v.3.2 in both worlds --

1. Are you getting better results in either Mac or Windows? (I'm not referring to user preferences. I'm bi-lingual here.) I'm asking about actual performance differences between platforms.

2. Are you able to transfer files back and forth between Windows and Macs machines with integrity (i.e. file structures remaining intact, plugin's loading correctly, etc.)? Like, Could I record on my Macbook and transfer files to my PC studio without issue? (and skip my Windows partition).

3. I'm also considering making my primary Audio PC into a dual-boot Hackintosh. So, any benefit of OSX on Studio One 3 would be helpful to know.

4. Does my one license allow for installing to both Mac and Windows machines?

5. I understand the license covers 5 installations. I may have just used up one on my main Windows 7 PC I'm likely going to upgrade shortly to Windows 10. Can I reclaim that? Or will that count as a 2nd installation?

Thanks so much!
by Steve Carter on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:46 am
Hi...
Can't answer all of your questions as I don't use both Windows and OSX regularly but...

You can use your S1 license on both machines but it will use 2 of your 5 instances.

On the Mac I've upgraded the O.S. from Leopard to Snow Leopard to ... Yosemite (on the same computer of course) all without any problems and without using up any further licenses. Have no reason to expect Windows upgrades to be any different.

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by matthewgorman on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:42 am
Files are cross platform, so you just need to make sure that all the pertinent files are in the song folder before you move it. Executing "File/save external data" or "File/save to new folder" should accomplish this.

Activations should not be used with an OS upgrade. In the event that something wonky happens when you do, you can manage the activations in your my.presonus account, on the Studio One 3 page under My Software.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by craigallen2 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:15 pm
matthewgorman wroteFiles are cross platform, so you just need to make sure that all the pertinent files are in the song folder before you move it. Executing "File/save external data" or "File/save to new folder" should accomplish this.

Great to know. Thanks!

4 posts
Page 1 of 1