This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi folks,

maybe you guys have a trick up your sleves.
I have a lot of original studio tracks from all kinds of bands which I use to practice my drumming with.
In order to align my (rather poor) drumming skills with the original song I have tempo-mapped the entire song by inserting tempo changes every bar.
Yes, it's tedious, but worth it.

Now here's the catch:
Although I can loop any part of the song now, some more complicated patterns (imagine the chorus of Toxicity) require me to slow down the song to a playable speed until I get the grasp of the pattern.

I know I can slow down a single tempo-change but is there a way to get this done for the entire song by... say... a percentage?

Example:
Song is around 172 BPM.
Slow down song by 30%

Any pointers are welcome.

Cheers
Mathias
Last edited by Lefaux on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
by mwright137 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:16 am
1. Set all files to stretch to tempo

2. Change to desired tempo

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Lefaux on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 am
Won't that mess up the groove itself?
Thing is that... say... Dinosaur Jr's Feel the Pain has a tempo change of about 10 BPM (Chorus -> Verse and back)

If I "hard-sync" the tempo all the way I could just hit the Quantize Button but then the flow of the song goes away.
by mwright137 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:22 am
If you have tempo changes in the song it won't work, no.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by matthewgorman on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:30 am
Lefaux wroteWon't that mess up the groove itself?
Thing is that... say... Dinosaur Jr's Feel the Pain has a tempo change of about 10 BPM (Chorus -> Verse and back)

If I "hard-sync" the tempo all the way I could just hit the Quantize Button but then the flow of the song goes away.

Don't get many Dino Jr references around here. Thanks for that.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mikejantram on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:02 am
if this is all just for practice, why not export whatever song you want to a stereo mix with the included rendered metronome, then import it back to S1 as a single stereo track, and adjust to tempo from there?
by Lefaux on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 am
Now THAT was helpful... Forrest for the woods principle...

Great thinking.... thank you :)
by charlesmonteiro on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 am
but what if what you are trying to do is transcribe a drum part and need to slow it down to do so, after the fact that you have already transcribed and have parts for other instruments i.e. recorded audio ?

8 posts
Page 1 of 1