This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I had posted this in the requests forum previously but by accident I came across a very simple workaround that gets the job done easily in double quick time.

Gain Staging:

All engineers do things differently, but in almost all cases their first job is to get a rough and ready balance of volume levels for multiple tracks across a mix (gain staging). Obviously using the channel faders is very efficient and easy but it's not what the channel faders are for . . . (a discussion for another time!)

These volume levels will hardly ever remain constant throughout the song. Automation is your friend.

The Problem:

Once the faders have been used to get an approximate rough and ready volume mix as a starting point for the work to come, the faders are clearly going to be all over the place.

What's Needed:

We need to be able to use the faders to set relative levels, then have the physical volume level of each track remain absolutely unchanged whilst at the same time the faders should be reset to '0'

I used to do all my gain staging by dragging the actual wav files up and down on the events themselves, simply so I'd have a full set of level faders to work from. It's a pain and not as handy as using the faders.

Why Do We Need Faders At '0'?

If not and you have 60 tracks (I often have more) try getting to any section and instantly knowing which 12 tracks are automated up or down? How can you tell when there's no actual reference point to start from? No initial reference point = lost in a jumble of all over the place faders.

Another reason - check the scaling on the faders. Near '0' they increment very slowly - a bigger move delivers smaller adjustments. This is the same in all DAW's and every physical analogue desk I've ever used. It's by design, it's not an accident. It's to make the faders more accurate near to '0' because that's where the desk expects you to start automation or minor variations from.

Start from a known reference point = easy and immediate visual indication of what's happening throughout the song.

Solution

1. After opening a new song and importing all your audio tracks, just use the channel faders freely to get your initial mix.

2. Once happy with all the relative volume levels add a 'mixtool' (or any other plugin) to each mixer channel but either turn them off or ensure they do not affect the sounds in any way. To do this select all channels and add a mixtool to one of them . . . it'll appear on all of them,

3. Select all tracks in the arranger view

4. Right click and select 'Transform to Rendered Audio'

5. Sit back and watch the magic!

The result is that each and every track is rendered in it's current state, including channel fader volume level, but the mega bonus is that each fader is automatically returned to '0' as each track is dealt with.

Wonderful! You now have a completely fresh mixer with all faders at the optimum position and your rough and ready volume levels are burned in. The 'mixtool' or whatever plugin you used will be removed. Fantastic.

Warning: None of this will work unless you have a plugin on each channel.

Double Warning: This will burn in anything on the channel so do not add any effects or have any plugins altering the sound at all.

We all work differently. I hope this helps someone out. Gain staging used to take me ages as I didn't want fader confusion, now it takes no time at all.
by Steve Carter on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:42 am
Hello Dave...
Thanks very much for your post on gain-staging. I read and was understanding your method up to the point where you added the mixtool.

I am often rather thick so probably missed something in your explanation but it seems to me that you suggest adding a mixtool to each channel, make sure that they are not affecting the sound in any way and then render the audio tracks, which makes them disappear!

So, if you add a mixtool - effectively turn it off (not affecting the sound) and then cause it to get removed - begs the question why bother to add it in the first place? What have I missed? Presumably the mixtool is used for either gain or attenuation prior to rendering but this step/explanation eludes me or maybe this is where the automation you allude to comes in.

Regards ... Steve

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by davehartley on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:14 am
Hi Steve,

Great question, sorry I didn't explain that step further. Here goes . . .

The menu option 'Transform to Rendered Audio' is intended for use in circumstances such as mix engineers or producers collaborating over different machines when they don't own or use the same plugins or even the same DAW. For instance, you write a great song, you need a hand with some ideas, you send it to me but I don't own your plugins so before you do you transform either all channels or just the necessary ones out to rendered audio. You send me the files, I do my stuff with my plugins and I can send it back to you as rendered audio.

Transform to rendered audio basically does for mix channels what 'Transform to Audio Track' does for VSTi instrument tracks in the arrangement. It renders out the entire channel complete with all effects as they would sound in the final mix. Some people use this quite often to save processor power on laptops etc. It's a great move and there's even an option to keep embedded plugin data so the move can be reversed later.

Here's the killer blow . . . The option to 'Transform to Rendered Audio' is only available when a plugin, any plugin, appears on the mix channel. No plugin = no Transform to Rendered Audio option when you right click the track.

That's the reason for adding the mixtool (or anything), just to ensure you get the option.

As a side effect of using the Transform to Rendered Audio option the fader for each selected channel is automatically reset to '0'. It's just beautiful to watch when you've just balanced 40, 50 tracks!!

I used to simply use the 'mixtool' for gain staging, leaving the faders alone and using the mixtool gain control to get a rough level mix. It's not as quick or easy, not as intuitive, and that visual feedback you get from seeing a line of faders at different levels just isn't there.

The whole thing took me ages sometimes. I'd use the faders, get a rough volume mix for a star point, then I'd have to read each faders value, type it into the gain box in the 'inspector', then reset the fader myself. That was for each channel! Not a job I ever looked forward to. Using the method I've outlined above I can take a 50 track mix and do a simple initial gain stage in a few minutes. Lovely.

I've just done a remix for a group. I did the original in Studio One about a year ago. Because I'd had my old trained in habit of starting with all faders at '0' I could instantly see across the entire mix where and what I'd automated for volume and what bit's I'd wanted to emphasize. Without going through that initial process it would have taken me hours of going through the mix again just to see what was going on.

Note:

Even a plugin that is turned off will give you the menu option, but only on mix channels where a plugin appears.

To get to the menu option just select all tracks in the arrangement window and right click any one of them. 'Transform to Rendered Audio' will appear as an option. Select what options you want in the pop up dialogue box (I uncheck them all when going through this for an initial gain stage) and "voila"!!

Not having this facility was driving me nuts in S1. It's a standard feature in ProTools and Reaper (I believe) and many other.

Don't want to go on too much and bore anyone, but I once worked in a sound studio for a major UK TV company (years ago, I'm ancient now!). I was doing a mix for a TV theme tune along with a very experienced and well known engineer who was my mentor. We started the tracks and I reached for the faders on the very large desk we were at. He looked at me and said "what the hell are you doing?"

"Getting a rough balance" I said indignantly.

He said "Show me the signal path for this desk?"

I pointed out that the signal went in at the top, though the gain control, into the dynamics followed by built in EQ, then out to sends and inserts before (finally) reaching the faders and out to the master bus.

He said "Exactly. The faders are the last port of call, not the first. Use the gain control at the input for initial balanced volumes, that's what it's for. Reach for the faders last just to emphasize or take down certain areas. You need a visual reference on the faders to know where you are through the song. Do it your way and we'll end up with a complete mess by the time we're halfway done"

I never forgot that.
by Davelong on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:11 pm
Hi Dave,

I enjoyed your story about being an assistant - sounds like a wonderful way to learn!

My workflow has kinda settled down to something similar to what you're describing. I first get a rough mix with the faders, then I put a mixtool on each track and transfer the fader level to each of the mixtools, then set the fader to zero. That has really helped when I've accidentally budged the faders - it's easy to see what has been messed up. And, then as I mix, I adjust levels on faders and if I prefer the new settings, I just transfer the new settings to the mixtool and then zero out the fader.

I rename those mixtools on each track as "Final Gain" and put another mixtool just before that and rename it as "Automate Gain" - (which I automate).

I know it's a bit of a variation on your style of mixing, but I really like this way of mixing, and I'm glad to hear that you've found it so effective too, Dave!

Cheers!

Another Dave

"Trashcan" 2013 Mac Pro / Apollo Quad, Apollo x8, Octo / Studio One Pro 4.6/ Townsend L22 mics
by Steve Carter on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:11 pm
Thanks Dave (Hartley)....

Your expanded explanation was most enlightening as I hadn't realised that you couldn't 'render to audio' without a plugin on the track - makes sense now and I'll give that method an outing next time I load up a new re-mix.

Thanks and a HNY...
Steve (another oldie - UK expat currently)

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by davehartley on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 am
Steve,

You're more than welcome, I hope it helps you out.

Dave,

I eventually settled on a method I'd seen Johnny Geib using - simply dragging the actual level of the wav files up and down on the track (Home Studio Trainer - he's superb). Basically, anything so I didn't have to adjust the faders! Now I just use the 'trasform' method after using the faders initially because it's just so intuitive and natural for me. It's also far quicker and less laborious. Getting the initial mix for me is really, really seriously important as it tells me which tracks to leave alone and which will need processing. Now I can concentrate on hearing the tracks without constantly thinking "Uh ooohh, I've now got to transfer all these levels onto a mixtool or adjust the wav files"

Anyway, Happy New Year to all. I'm deeply grateful for all the helpful advice and assistance I've had just by trawling around these forums so hopefully I've managed to help someone else.
by Steve Carter on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:52 am
Hi again Dave...
Funny enough Johnny Geib's method is what I've been using too lately, so the enhancement you've detailed should meld nicely.
On the subject of Johnny's tutorials, I don't have the new Faderport and didn't think that it would provide a significant return for the outlay but Johnny's tutorials have whetted my interest - thanks Johnny.
Regards....

by Jemusic on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 pm
There are different ways of doing things and personally I don't agree with this approach at all.

Firstly if you think back to multitrack reel to reel and mixing consoles this was not how it was done. What we did then was track all the tape tracks to the same rms VU level (0dB VU) and use the faders and the faders only to create the mix.

I apply the same approach in the digital medium. I use VU metering to get all the tracks at the same rms level and use the faders to create the mix. Why this is good is because once you do get all your tracks at the same rms level very little or no automation is actually needed. The parts will in fact stay at the same level all the way through a mix.

Faders all at unity give you no visual indication of your mix. Faders at mix levels give you instant visual feedback of your mix. You can see at a glance which tracks are contributing a lot to a mix and which tracks are only adding a little to the mix. Once the volume levels are all similar as well it is surprising how even the faders are that may be sending to a buss as well. And although they won't be at unity they are not too far away from it either. Still enabling precise automation if it is required.

There are no benefits in terms of headroom doing it the way that is suggested here either. While Dave's approach is better for automation and I agree that around unity there is a finer degree of control with automation, if there is no automation then using the faders to create the mix actually works fine. No mixtools plug-ins required or any rendering needed either. I would not be re-rendering the basic audio tracks either. Once they are are all at the correct level I prefer to leave them alone. Gives you more options later on in the mix. If you want a track a little louder it is just a simple matter of moving a fader up a bit. Even the original Faderport allows very precise setting of levels at any position.

My approach is still a little quicker overall. Leaving more time perhaps to be developing other aspects of the mix.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

8 posts
Page 1 of 1