This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
279 postsPage 7 of 14
1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14
Tempo Changes in Studio One - Part 2

Using the Tempo Track (Inserting a new tempo value)

1. Click on the Tempo Track button to open the Tempo Track.

2. Move the Play Cursor to the desired insert point for your tempo change

3. Click on the "Insert Tempo Change" button ("+" sign on the Tempo Track) to add your tempo change.

4. Drag the new tempo value up or down in the tempo track to adjust it's value.

House | Dubstep by Thedmncproject

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:13 am
Tempo Changes in Studio One - Part 3

Creating a ramp / curve

1. Change the Quantize value to something like 1/64. AFAICT the tempo track will obey snap (not sure if it can be disabled for the tempo track) so choosing a suitable value to create a ramp / curve is advisable.

2. Hold down the Alt key (Windows - Mac may be different)

3. Drag across the Tempo track area up or down to create your curve / ramp.

Note: The selection of curves (Bezier e.t.c) for the Tempo Track are not currently available in S1 but likely will be in future. This is at least one way to come close to that for now.

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 am
LMIke

Album / Project Organization Using Versions

There is a way to organize your album projects using the versions feature in Studio One. I'll walk through the process below...

Create a new song and name it "Joe's Christmas Album". Add a mono track just to change something and save it.

Create a new version and name it "Silent Night". Now if you go to the browser for the album in it's History folder you'll see the first version and the name "Silent Night" in the browser text.

Rename the song in the browser to "Silent Night"...

So now your working file for that song is the version and you can keep all of the album songs underneath the main "Christmas Album" song folder To create a new song for this album, make another version or three. If you want them in some kind of order in the browser, number them when you rename them in the browser. Here I have three songs on the album listed. I can get to any song on the album by opening the root song from "Restore Version" or by dragging one of the versions in directly from the browser.

Additionally, if you open one of the songs directly from the browser, you can actually still make alternate versions. Here I've dragged in song 2 and created a new version for it. What happens is that another History folder is created inside the first History folder and the alternate versions are stored there. Any song you open directly and create a version for will create a history folder there if there's not one there already, so versions of versions can have versions...

So using this method you work on the album by loading the "Christmas Song" song and using the Version panel to open the various songs. Or just directly open the songs from the browser. All album songs are listed there for direct access and (as shown above) you can still have alternate versions of all the songs.

All of the audio for all of the songs go into the same media folder so all tracks for the project will remain under the "Joe's Christmas Album" Media folder so your data backup for the entire album project is a copy/paste of the song folder.

The only minor issue when using the versions and not loading the songs directly is not seeing the current song name in the window title. Not a major deal, you can still load the songs directly to get that if you need it.

Another benefit is that all of your mixes will default to the same mix folder in that root folder. This also means when you go to master you can open the browser the same way and just drag all of the album mixes in from there.

You'd open the root song "Joe's Christmas Album" and "Create New Mastering Project" and drag your mixes in.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 am
Tempo Changes in Studio One - Part 4

Tempo Track - Edit Value

You can also change the tempo of your Song (works best if you have no additional tempo changes in a Song) in the Tempo track (track pane aobve other tracks). Simply click on the visible tempo value in the tempo track. Type in the new value or place your mouse cursor over the tempo display area and move your mouse wheel up or down to increase or decrease the value.

Tempo Track edit.gif
Tempo Track edit.gif (87.9 KiB) Viewed 394259 times

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:23 am
Sunmachine

Change the Artist Profile

To change the entries of the Artist Profile on the Start Page of Studio One you simply click on the Artist or Genre field and insert/edit your text.

However, to change the Website you have to double-click on its text field! A single click will open the site with your default browser.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 am
Song Page

Quick Insert Show / Hide tip

1. Double click on an insert to bring up the UI for it. Double click again to hide it.

2. Single click on an insert to bring up the Micro view for it. Single click again to collapse the Micro view

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:33 am
FX Focus

Full Screen Analysis

Some of the Studio One Plugins can have their UI's adjusted to fit any screen size enabling you to scale their UI's all the way up to full screen should you wish to.

This can be very useful if you...

a. Want to analyse certain aspects of your mix but would prefer a larger UI display of information in a few Studio One (analysis) plugs.

b. Maybe you work with two screens and want to drag a S1 plugin UI to another screen...to have the UI fill that screen.

c. You use one screen but would like a slightly larger UI , or have a UI fill up to half of the screen horizontally or vertically.

There are likely other scenarios as well. So what plugs can be resized in the way?. Well AFAICT all of the plugins listed below can be scaled up to full screen in Studio One...

1. Level Meter

2. Phase Meter

3. Scope

4. Spectrum Meter

Steps...

a. Insert any of the plugins on a track.

b. Double click on the insert to bring up the UI.

c. Drag the UI (without resizing it) to the top left of your screen.

d. Now drag the bottom right edge of the UI and drag diagonally to the right edge of your screen.

e. The plugs can also be dragged up or down vertically, and horizonally as well.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:42 am
LMike

Show MIDI and Controller data on separate tracks in the arrange view

You can split those things up if you need to see them more clearly in arrange. Not a solution but a workaround which isn't too difficult...

1. Duplicate track with events.
2. Go into the midi editor on the dupe, select all, delete.
3. Right click the original and Part Functions "Remove Part Automation.
4. Select the two tracks right click "Group Selected Tracks" so they stay linked for editing in arrange.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 am
Jonathan Hillman

From the manual (which I learned from Eike )

When using the FFT display, a -3 dB/octave line is displayed in addition to the frequency and level crosshair. This line represents compensation for the shrinking frequency-width of the FFT bands towards the higher end of the spectrum, which leads to a lower energy content. A well-balanced mix should somewhat approximate the slope of this line.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 am
Song Page

Slip Editing

You can move the contents of a clip (MIDI or Audio) by slip editing it in Studio One...

1. Make sure the Arrow tool is selected

2. Simply hold down Ctrl / (Cmd) + Alt while your mouse is hovering over the clip you want to slip edit. The Slip Tool icon should appear

3. Now click and drag left or right to move the contents of the clip...

slipediting.gif
slipediting.gif (114.14 KiB) Viewed 394253 times

Multiple clip slip editing....

4. Select multiple MIDI or Audio events (or even a combination of the two data types) across multiple tracks, and follow steps 1 to 3 to slip edit them at the same time.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 am
Song Page

Floating Toolbar

Use your middle mouse button to bring up a floating tool bar in Studio One for quick tool switching. This works in the Arrange / Tracks view and the Editor.

Floating Toolbar.gif
Floating Toolbar.gif (129.33 KiB) Viewed 394251 times

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 am
bedstrom

Song File Management

If you drag in any audio files to your song, they won't necessarily get copied to the Song/Media folder. Try using Song | Copy External Files before you save and exit. This will collect any media that is linked outside of the song into the media folder. I wish it did this automatically, but it doesn't.

The default shortcut is Option-C (Mac) or Alt-C (PC). If you get in the habit of doing that when you save, the media will all ways be there. That makes it ready to copy or back up.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 am
Song Page

Track Resizing Trick

There are times when you might want to work on a small group of tracks within a larger number of tracks. You could use the controls at the foot of the tracks area but those controls will resize all tracks. In the example below I want to resize only a few tracks and leave the tracks above and below them untouched (left at their current size).

1. First hold down shift and click on the tracks you want to resize

2. Then place your cursor between the tracks and drag downwards to resize them.

Track Resize.gif
Track Resize.gif (369.87 KiB) Viewed 394250 times

Notice in the image above that the tracks above and below the selected tracks have not been resized. This kind of track management is very useful if you just want to quickly work on a group of tracks (Drums, Vocals, Keys e.t.c) without resizing *all* the tracks in your Song page / Arrange view.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:15 am
LMike

Marquee Select With No Space

You're working with a dense media view (zoomed in maybe) and you need to marquee or multi-select some things but there's no space to start the marquee selection. Hold shift and drag over the events to marquee select them.

So below you want to select the green events but there's no space to start the marquee drag to get them all and normally you'd shift+click (add) until you have them all selected. Instead, you can hold shift and drag right over the events for the selection.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 am
Motoko

Keyboard Shortcuts

You can find the list for your specific set-up, including all the fine-tuning you did yourself in the keyboard shortcuts in the options of S1 under Help -> Keyboard shortcuts.

This list is generated from the actual configuration of your specific S1 installation and therefor always accurate.

It will also change accordingly if you choose the Logic or Pro Tools template for example.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:22 am
db wrote:To decrease or increase the velocity (or similar values) with a straight line

1. Hold down the Alt key and drag across the Part Automation Lane..

Sunmachine

Let me add some details:

1. When the Paint Tool is selected it works like described above.
2. When the Arrow Tool is selected you can temporarily switch to the Paint Tool by holding the Ctrl/Cmd key.
Now the Alt key works the same way as above, so by holding Alt+Ctrl/Cmd it's possible to draw a straight line.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 am
risotto

Ok, here is one tip with the gate. Didn't have screens yet, I'm not on my workstation at the moment but for this you won't need any pictures and it will work with any other sidechain gate too. Sorry for my bad writing, I'm not well trained in writing in english.

Gating real played snare or bassdrum could sometimes be really freaky, especially if the playing is a little bit too dynamic. But there is a go around which can make your life much easier.

And the key to it is triggering.
1. Place a trigger plugin on your snare or bassdrum track, for example steven slate trigger, drumagog, spl or just the presonus gate itself. The presonus gate will take a little bit more work to setup but it works too.

2. Trigger the whole track with a transient based signal. Make sure you got every single played note, it doesn't need to be perfect in phase or anything like this. You can also use the "to midi" functionality and write the triggers to a new midi track and than choose a signal to play with a sampler of your choice. Remove all dynamic for this by setting midi velocity to maximum or in the trigger plugin of your choice.

3. Bounce the triggered track to a new track and send it's "send" to the sidechain of the gate on the original track you want to gate. The send can be set to pre-fader so you can pull the fader of your trigger track down. You just don't want to hear it, all you need is it's peaking power. Make sure you deactivate "ducking" in the gate of the original track.

4. Now move the triggered track a little bit before the original track. Between 5-20ms should work. This can be done by moving it manually or by time value from the track inspector.

5. Setup the gate in the original track with the sidechain signal.

The conclusion of this is: you don't use the original signal for gating. Instead you use a static signal in the sidechain so you can align the attack, release, thresholds as perfect as it fits to the songs groove and get a good defined gating without getting in trouble with the dynamic of the drummer and unwanted crosstalk. By setting up the trigger input signal a little bit before the original signal you won't ever loose any transient because the gate opens a little bit before the original signal.

And to make your life easier, choose a good and cracky trigger sample and use it for everything (I like short cowbell hits). Now you can use the exact same gate input settings on all of your tracks and just align "hold" and "release" for your original signal you want to trigger.

This technique can also be done by copying the original track and "strip silence, search transients" features. But S1 doesn't provide it yet. In my opinion using a triggered signal will just work a little bit better than this.

Hope this one helps a bit, it's not a S1 exclusiv tip but it's really easy and quick. I use it on every real played bassdrum or snare and edit the toms manualy.

Edit: ahhh, just forgot to say: Route the output of your triggered track to the same bus as the original track (for example "snare group". Than you it will be also active if you solo the bus. By setting the trigger track's send to pre-fader you can mute it by pulling down the fader.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 am
Song Page

Automation shape duplication

Quick tip. If you want to use a certain automation shape across a number of bars or duplicate it elsewhere in your song, here is one way to do it...

1. Drag over the nodes you want to duplicate.

2. Right click and choose "Copy"

3. Place the play cursor where you want the automation shape to be pasted to and paste it there.

copyingautomation.gif
copyingautomation.gif (149.72 KiB) Viewed 394246 times

The illustration above shows how to do this with a very simple shape...but it can be a very useful way to duplicate very complex automation shapes (or part of them) elsewhere in your song. While you can also hit D to copy...more flexible placement of automation can be achieved AFAICT using the tip outlined above.

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:43 am
Browser

Used by

There have been times when I wanted to quickly find out how many times a certain plugin was used in a song and on which tracks at a glance without using the mixer to scroll through each track. Studio One allows you to do this very easily.

1. Go to the S1 Browser Click on the Browse button and go to the Effects tab / button

2. Right click on the Effect you want to check usage for and click on the "Used by" command. S1 will show you...

a. Which tracks the effect is used on. In the example below the X- Trem plugin resides on 4 tracks in the Song... "KEYS", "KEYS 2", "KEYS 3" and "KEYS 4"

b. Where exactly in the FX chain for that track an effect is. For instance "Inserts.3" is telling you that the effect is the 3rd plugin in the FX chain (from top to bottom on the tracks mixer strip).

usedby.gif
usedby.gif (84.99 KiB) Viewed 394253 times

by db on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 am
Song Page

Clip Edges

Sometimes when you are working in the S1 editor an audio clips edges can be just out of view. You could drag one end back into view and then the other end, so that both ends of the clip are visible. Or...you could just double click anywhere on the clip. ...to do the same thing.

Centerclips.gif
Centerclips.gif (97.96 KiB) Viewed 394252 times

S1 will perfectly place your clip in the middle of the Editor. This will zoom out slightly so that the clips edges are both visible within the S1 Editor.

279 postsPage 7 of 14
1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14