This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
119 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
David Mood wrote
jpettit wroteTo enable tempo editing you have to click the wrench.(note assignment mode)

Thanks Jeff.
In the video by Celemony they say you need to be in Edit mode, that's why I missed that.
Maybe the standalone version (which they are using in the video) works a bit different in that respect.

Sorry for the stupid question: doesn't drawing in tempo changes by hand kinda miss the whole point about this tempo mapping feature?
Isn't this all about aligning the tempo in the DAW to a tempo of a performance?

Dave the issue was you were watching their video vs my video. :oops: They did all their new videos using the standalone (which has more buttons/options)
Take a look at the PDF it has the whole story.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by David Mood on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 pm
jpettit wroteTake a look at the PDF it has the whole story.

I will definitely do that, many thanks for making it! :thumbup:

Win7 x64 SP1 / i7 2600K / 16 GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / ASUS P8P67-M PRO MB
by jpettit on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 am
psusername wrote
jpettit wrote
Funkybot wroteThis is definitely a case of RTFM, but can anyone tell me if there's a quick and easy way to set the bar and beat in Melodyne and have that transient line up and if so, how?

Don't quite know what you are referred to with transient. In Melodyne it would be a blob you are aligning to.

Are you asking how to set beat one in S1 or how to set beat one in M4?

If M4 you drag the tempo bar to the beat representing the first sound.
It will by default move in quarter note steps. (The whole ruler will move left or right).
If it lines up then you are set.

If it does not ( which is common) Then:
b. If it will not snap to the correct downbeat position use this procedure to fine tune it:
i. Click the segment BPM drop down and select "enter subdivision"
ii. Type 16 subdivisions and slide the tempo first down beat line over to align with the first downbeat.
iii. (Optionally) return the subdivision number back to its original value
Now the beat one marker will move in 1/16th steps.
Match it up with the first real beat one measure in the blobs.

This is the first time I have tried this and I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, but it seemed to work (I did get it to repeat). I am also using Melodyne studio as a plugin vs stand alone as suggested in some of their videos. To do the tempo mapping, I followed your steps and found that I needed to set the track in Studio One to "Follow." If I didn't do that, the timing (tempo mapping) of the track would change to a faster tempo. Once I set the track to follow, when I clicked back from the tempo map screen (by clicking the edit icon to the left of the wrench tool) I could click and drag the temp map from the track area in Studio One up into the tempo map area and the track was now mapped within Studio One.

I need to try the temp mapping as stand alone as they suggest in the videos (I was mapping to a stereo mixdown track) since that would incorporate the timing of all the tracks and be more accurate. Overall I find the tool amazing coming from those days of fighting with a TEAC 3304 :D

gs

I just installed the Demo of Studio and noticed it has Import Tempo so you should be able to import the tempo map you made in the stand alone version.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by RochesterDude on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 pm
the Melodyne tempo map that needs to be dragged into Studio One:
1. where do I find the Melodyne tempo map
2. Do I really drag it onto the Studio One tempo track or is it some other type of operation that gets it into the Stidio One tempo track?
Thanks for the help

Windows 10
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 Intel i7
32 gig memory
Studio One 4
Thunderbolt Interface to Quantum box
StudioLive32 board
Adam A7x - with matching sub
by jpettit on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:17 pm
Watch the video I show you clearly had to do it there it's in the process Melodyne track and you drag that to the temple track

by RochesterDude on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:31 pm
Yes, sorry for being slow to reply, after I posted this a did a google search for the video and found yours. It explained everything I needed. Thanks for your time putting the video up. appreciate it.

Windows 10
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 Intel i7
32 gig memory
Studio One 4
Thunderbolt Interface to Quantum box
StudioLive32 board
Adam A7x - with matching sub
by jpettit on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:12 pm
:-) It is in the first post :-)

by dgkenney on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 pm
Here's another quick and dirty example of Melodyne 4 tempo mapping. A friend dropped by to lay down some violin tracks. To warm up we played a little Irish reel. Lots of tempo changes - some intended some rust and lack of practice. No click track, just 1,2,3,4 go.

In any event, Melodyne did a respectable job given the jumps from 105 to 130 bpm. Just added a 4 bar drum loop from RMX to simulate an Irish drum. A little ragged in some areas, no doubt, but not bad for instantaneous. Totally automatic. If I was doing this for real I would tweak it some but I'm impressed with M4

https://soundcloud.com/dgkenney/st-anne-reel/s-tH0fG

It's all down hill from what's in front of the microphone. - Bob Olhsson

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by jpettit on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 pm
Dan did you use the tempo mapping to just tighten up the song or did you add the bohren as a loop?

by dgkenney on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:51 pm
Just added the loop. Mapped the song as is. Just a violin and guitar free from.

Edit: let me be more specific.

Recorded with 2 mics
Mixed down to stereo file and insert as track in song.
Melodyne'd to establish tempo map
Copied melodyned track to S1 tempo track
Added instrument track with Stylus RMX
Picked semi-appropriate drum sound
Dragged 4 bar midi clip to instrument track - duplicated to length of song
That's all foks

Studio One 6.5x Pro
by jpettit on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:05 am
dgkenney wroteJust added the loop. Mapped the song as is. Just a violin and guitar free from.

Edit: let me be more specific.

Recorded with 2 mics
Mixed down to stereo file and insert as track in song.
Melodyne'd to establish tempo map
Copied melodyned track to S1 tempo track
Added instrument track with Stylus RMX
Picked semi-appropriate drum sound
Dragged 4 bar midi clip to instrument track - duplicated to length of song
That's all foks

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: make it easy now :D

by jpettit on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:53 pm
Moving to "Tip and Tricks forum" for easier reference access.

by Beachboy on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:57 pm
Jeff,
Thanks for the tutorials - Much appreciated.
Not sure if I missed it in the posts but does the algorithm used in Melodyne 4 (Studio) have any effect on tempo detection?

by jpettit on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 pm
Yes

The two polyphonic ones are the most accurate.

If you're just detecting drums then it will default to a drum algorithm.
There is an option in that case under the temple menu to use a advanced temple detection algorithm.

by Beachboy on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:38 pm
jpettit wroteYes

The two polyphonic ones are the most accurate.

If you're just detecting drums then it will default to a drum algorithm.
There is an option in that case under the temple menu to use a advanced temple detection algorithm.

OK - Thanks!

by garryknight on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:17 pm
Jeff, I've just gone through your Melodyne tutorials again after upgrading to Assistant and I thought they were as comprehensive and excellently produced and delivered as I did the first time of watching. Thanks for making them.

As an aside, I was wondering what that song is that you used as a demo at 25 seconds into the third video. I don't recognise it, and it's quite a while since I listened to that style of music, but I do like it.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by jpettit on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:29 am
Here is the first Tutorial Video on basic tempo mapping.
It should help you with a majority of cases. I am working on more difficult mapping and tempo mapping MIDI performances next.
phpBB [video]

Please make sure you check the Original Post. The complete training package is always updated there.

by dgkenney on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 am
Nice job on the vid...and who doesn't love the Rev. Al Green :)

Studio One 6.5x Pro
by dgkenney on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:22 pm
Interesting. Just watched the Melodyne site's videos on ARA integration in both S1 and Sonar. In the S1 video, tempo mapping is featured as a function of the ARA integration. In the Sonar video it is not displayed, so I am assuming tempo mapping is not available as a ARA function.

Studio One 6.5x Pro
by jpettit on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 pm
No the issue is Cakewalk's 30 year old ( never dusted off) tempo window cica 1985. ;)

They have no way to import/drag the tempo map.

I guess the CTO has recognized the gap and will support it in a future update.
I have to decide if they are going to do it right and toss the old tempo window and replace it with a modern tempo track. This will determine if I upgrade my subscription.

119 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6