This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
119 postsPage 5 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Melodyne 4 and Studio One Advance Tempo Mapping
phpBB [video]

Advance Melodyne 4 Tempo Mapping in Studio One
Class:
1) Recap of basic setup and tempo editing commands
2) Deep dive edit on a challenging map
3) Tempo mapping multi-track songs
4) Tempo mapping a MIDI track

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Beachboy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:53 pm
jpettit wroteAdvance Melodyne 4 Tempo Mapping in Studio One
Class:
1) Recap of basic setup and tempo editing commands
2) Deep dive edit on a challenging map
3) Tempo mapping multi-track songs
4) Tempo mapping a MIDI track

Thanks Jeff - Working throught it now :)

by talanarney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 am
Problem #1: I moved a marker and it caused all of the subsequent tempo curves to be out of sync, how do I just adjust the markers for a measure or a section?

Problem #2: I accidently set the tempo to constant, it removed all of the curves and now I can't re detect the tempo changes, every time I re detect the tempo with the algorithm, it just finishes without setting up the tempo curves, how do I reset them to what was analysed?
by jpettit on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
talanarney wroteProblem #1: I moved a marker and it caused all of the subsequent tempo curves to be out of sync, how do I just adjust the markers for a measure or a section?

Problem #2: I accidently set the tempo to constant, it removed all of the curves and now I can't re detect the tempo changes, every time I re detect the tempo with the algorithm, it just finishes without setting up the tempo curves, how do I reset them to what was analysed?

I am assuming you are talking about all this in side of M4 and not S1 correct?

1) suggest you watch my Advanced class which show 30 minutes of how to adjust and fine tune M4 measure to actual song.

2) If you Redetect in M4 you have to go in and out of the Tempo editor mode ( as show in the beginner class and advance class). This will re-stamp the "map" to the actual file in S1 and you will see that map show up after exiting the tempo edit mode.

See my signature for YouTube page

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by talanarney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:47 pm
jpettit wrote
talanarney wroteProblem #1: I moved a marker and it caused all of the subsequent tempo curves to be out of sync, how do I just adjust the markers for a measure or a section?

1) suggest you watch my Advanced class which show 30 minutes of how to adjust and fine tune M4 measure to actual song.

2) If you Redetect in M4 you have to go in and out of the Tempo editor mode ( as show in the beginner class and advance class). This will re-stamp the "map" to the actual file in S1 and you will see that map show up after exiting the tempo edit mode.

I've watched your video over and over, I've sat here for three hours manually adjusting everything so that when I double-click the header in Melodyne's window with Melodyne's metronome the track is in time. I switched from note assignment mode to edit mode and and dragged the clip to the tempo and studio one's metronome sounds absolutely NOTHING like melodyne's metronome. Melodyne's is in perfect time, Studio One's seems to be totally ignoring every last change I made in the note assignement mode.
by talanarney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:12 pm
It's as though it isn't refreshing the map once I've adjusted it.
by talanarney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm
Okay, the problem is that I didn't trim the clip to the actual start of the track and the tempo changes moved the clip, is there a way of just keeping the clips exactly where they should be when they're not aligned to the first beat of the song and the tempo gets adjusted?

It's also slipping out of time, possibly from all of the measure markers I made in melodyne?
by talanarney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 pm
jpettit wrote

At between 7:23-8:02 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADVEYXRq28 the click goes totally out of time with the guitar but you don't fix that section, each correction you make puts the track further offbeat with the metronome as it slides all of the sequential markers away from the transients, how do did you sort that section out, since you didn't on the video?
by jpettit on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:00 pm
talanarney wrote
jpettit wrote

At between 7:23-8:02 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADVEYXRq28 the click goes totally out of time with the guitar but you don't fix that section, each correction you make puts the track further offbeat with the metronome as it slides all of the sequential markers away from the transients, how do did you sort that section out, since you didn't on the video?
First there two things about the video, 1) it is snippets from 15-20 different kinds problem solving so there are discontinuities. 2) I am working with a mix of the song. Each individual track can have timing issues relative the the bands tempo (guitar bass drums etc.) After the host has an accurate tempo map, you can then go back to each track and quantize via M4 to improve the individual tracks timing. You can also do that to an extend with the polyphone data but both those procedures are another tutorial.

at 7:23 I am around 5 lead notes. 1) is on 2) is early compared to other instrument ( bass of kick) at measure 8 3) is on, 4 N/A, 5) on beat. You can drag that note in polyphony mode if needed but as I said early quantizes notes to the grid is the other half of fixing the timing to the grid.

by jpettit on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:06 pm
talanarney wrote
jpettit wrote

I've watched your video over and over, I've sat here for three hours manually adjusting everything so that when I double-click the header in Melodyne's window with Melodyne's metronome the track is in time. I switched from note assignment mode to edit mode and and dragged the clip to the tempo and studio one's metronome sounds absolutely NOTHING like melodyne's metronome. Melodyne's is in perfect time, Studio One's seems to be totally ignoring every last change I made in the note assignment mode.
This sounds like you have a fundamental thing wrong.
verify:
1) You started by exactly line up the down beat with a measure.
2) The beat one in Melodyne is in sync with that. So confirm click in the first beat moves the cursor to the exact measure line in both S1 and M4.
3) The beginning of the process is critical to making it work. Set S1 metronome one and verify the first 1-3 beats sync and work from there.

by chris_b on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm
Can this be not done with Melodyne Editor? It doesn't look the same as in any of the videos/screenshots.
by jpettit on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:03 pm
It can be done with Mieledyne Editor.
The only thing that changed between time of the videos and now is where you click to open the tempo map editor.
Now it is a button just to the right of the tempo field.

by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 am
Hi JPettit.

Can this be done in Melodyne Essential — the version that comes free with S1?

The reason I ask is because I'm not seeing the "tempo link" button or anything suggesting that S1 is being fed the tempo from the imported variable tempo audio file. Subsequently, the S1 tempo track is at 120 bpm. No peak or valleys as shown in your pdf file or videos.

So, as it stands, I've followed your initial instruction up to the part about opening the track in melodyne, and then there seems to be a disconnect between your instructions and the interface of Melodyne Essential plugin.

Does that mean I have to upgrade Melodyne to do this?

Hope it's just user error on my part. Any comments?

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by jpettit on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am
Well I have been told as one cannot have two versions of Melodyne on a system, that the under the hood the tempo matching code makes its attempt to make the map. You however have no ability to edit it.

To get a the map it should appear as the word map in the tempo field in S1 inspector after blobs have been detected.

If it does not, look for a way to right mouse click near the M4 tempo field for a context menu to use it. Sorry for the vagueness as I don’t have Essential.

At that point stage the track with M4 on it to the Tempo track. If it all works it will write it’s internal map to S1.

FYI: this approach will only be useful if the song is fairly straight forward tempo with no stops or retardo’s.

Remember you can always edit/tweak the results in S1 using the previous manual method I covered in my pre M4 tempo mapping videos.

by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 am
I shortened the track to about 6 bars and rendered it. single guitar riff. Mono track.

I then tried right clicking around M4 as you suggested and looking for any obvious tools / wording on the interface to get the job done, but still no luck.

HAS ANYONE READING THIS managed to get this working on Melodyne Essential? If so, please let me know.

Thanks again, jpettit.

jpettit wroteWell I have been told as one cannot have two versions of Melodyne on a system, that the under the hood the tempo matching code makes its attempt to make the map. You however have no ability to edit it.

To get a the map it should appear as the word map in the tempo field in S1 inspector after blobs have been detected.

If it does not, look for a way to right mouse click near the M4 tempo field for a context menu to use it. Sorry for the vagueness as I don’t have Essential.

At that point stage the track with M4 on it to the Tempo track. If it all works it will write it’s internal map to S1.

FYI: this approach will only be useful if the song is fairly straight forward tempo with no stops or retardo’s.

Remember you can always edit/tweak the results in S1 using the previous manual method I covered in my pre M4 tempo mapping videos.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by jpettit on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am
Dominic demoed it on a Presonus live announcement video when M4 was released so I know it is possible.

So you did not see the word “map” in the tempo field?
You can also ask Melodyne support.

by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am
Clicking the wrench icon, I get a 120bmp tempo field with a dropdown menu to the right. In that menu there is:
1) "Confirm 120 BPM as file tempo
2) "Multiply tempo by" (then a drop down menu for that)
3) "Apply project tempo" (this is greyed out and not an option
4) Apply constant tempo

The word "map" does not show up anywhere. I've also looked in the menus. Maybe you can direct me to that release video - if it's still around. Seems like it should work.

Thanks again.

jpettit wroteDominic demoed it on a Presonus live announcement video when M4 was released so I know it is possible.

So you did not see the word “map” in the tempo field?
You can also ask Melodyne support.

by jpettit on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am
Select 2 then map will show in S1
Then drag.

by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm
jpettit wroteSelect 2 then map will show in S1
Then drag.

Selecting "2" in my list leads to a drop down menu that gives me the options:
3/1 360 bpm
2/1 240 bpm
etc.

Choosing any of these does not change the tempo map, however.

And "what" do I drag. That part wasn't clear.

Thanks jpettit, once again.

by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm
I imported an mp3 music file by a name artist and then went through the routine.

Melodyne read the tempo and when I play back the file, I can see the tempo changing in the Melodyne plugin window. However, because there is no "link to tempo" button, the Studio One tempo remains at 120 bpm; default.

I'll keep you posted. Maybe this will help someone else to figure it out.

119 postsPage 5 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6