This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
119 postsPage 6 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Sorry, I miss read 2 and not at my system.
It sounds like M4 has detected 120. Try option 1.
Once that is done close M4 and you drag the S1 event to the timeline as shown in many tutorials on the web.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by roland1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm
jpettit wroteSorry, I miss read 2 and not at my system.
It sounds like M4 has detected 120. Try option 1.

This is not my experience with M4 Essential. S1's tempo track simply does not "lock" ie. synchronize with the tempo that Melodyne Essential had detected. I've tried this now with two different audio tracks. I'm seeing fluctuations in the Melodyne tempo track, but none in S1.

Hopefully someone can educate me with some more precise commands because I could flail for hours and still not get any closer to doing it right.

jpettit wroteOnce that is done close M4 and you drag the S1 event to the timeline as shown in many tutorials on the web.

I've dragged midi tracks out of Melodyne before, so the concept is not new to me. The reason I'm being so thorough here is that I chose to watch your tutorial because I was interested in the "Worldclass Tempo Mapping for Studio One!" that your post title promised. Otherwise, I would not be looking at videos for M4 right now. :)

I'm also assuming that the majority of S1 users who have spend upward of several hundred dollars to buy Studio One may not immediately jump at the chance to spend upwards of several hundred more to upgrade their free Melodyne plugin. I'm one of those people and so my interest is on behalf of myself and those who just want to use the Melodyne Essential plugin ( I also have some Vielklang stuff, etc., for similar chores.) I noticed that Melodyne Essential's midi note pitch and timing detection algorithm has significantly improved with this last version. I can really trust it now to pull out bass tracks, etc for developing songs. But I'd also like to get it to do the kind of tempo mapping you've demonstrated in your tutorials and cannot seem to make use of the instructions because the interface is dissimilar from Melodyne Essential.

Maybe you could add a little blurb at the beginning telling people whether or not this method actually works with the free Melodyne Essential plugin.

Also, thanks for all your hard work, jpettit. I know you're not a fly-by-night presence here and have done a lot to help people learn more about their craft. I hope my posting does not come off as caustic or unappreciative. I plead German; our kind likes to look under the hood with an electron microscope - for better or worse. :D

Danke schön, man.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by jpettit on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 pm
I know it can be done. Saw it in a 3.5 demo I think with Presonus showing off new things over a year ago.

I would have to install it on another computer that did not have a full blown M4.

Your right someone with Essential need ot speak up.

In the meantime play around with those context menu options while watching the inspector to see if a tempo gets updated to S1.

Once that occurs then it a matter of dragging the track to the tempo track.

You could just ask Ari in German via PM.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jpettit on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm
OK, I installed Essential M4 on my laptop. ( People ask this question about every six months)

1) apply Melodyne to the track
2) click the wrench icon (assignment mode, this step may be optional)
3) click the tempo icon and select the first option (if it say just one BPM then it averaged just one tempo)
4) close the wrench mode and go back to blob mode
The detected tempo will be written to the S1 tempo field for the track. ( such as map or a new BPM)
5) drag the track to the tempo track.

Interesting side note: I started this test with the original 4.04 M4 and it to my surprise had the full tempo map edit capability ( a mistake). Unfortunately, they removed it in later releases so you do not have access to the assign/edit tempo map).

by roland1 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am
You are awesome. Thanks, jpettit. I'll try this out.

But not so awesome is that Celemony would remove that useful feature for us "Common People." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

:)

jpettit wroteOK, I installed Essential M4 on my laptop. ( People ask this question about every six months)

1) apply Melodyne to the track
2) click the wrench icon (assignment mode, this step may be optional)
3) click the tempo icon and select the first option (if it say just one BPM then it averaged just one tempo)
4) close the wrench mode and go back to blob mode
The detected tempo will be written to the S1 tempo field for the track. ( such as map or a new BPM)
5) drag the track to the tempo track.

Interesting side note: I started this test with the original 4.04 M4 and it to my surprise had the full tempo map edit capability ( a mistake). Unfortunately, they removed it in later releases so you do not have access to the assign/edit tempo map).

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by roland1 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm
To all readers of this post. Here is the step by step process for tempo mapping a variable-tempo or "live" track in Melodyne Essential

After repeating the process three times, I can confirm these things to be self evident.

1) Drag the audio file onto an empty track

2) Trim the start of the file to the first transient

3) Drag the audio file so that it begins on bar 2 (i.e. its left edge aligns there)

4) Use the bounce command or "command/control B" to create a new file who's left edge remains at the first transient. If you bounce before you move the file, its left edge may jump to the nearest quantize grid setting, usually bar 1, so bounce after you move the file to bar 2.

5) Edit the audio file in Melodyne by clicking "command/control M"

6) Click on the wrench icon to switch the editing view

7) While in the wrench icon view, select the" percussive" algorithm from the main Melodyne menu at the top left of the Melodyne window - the audio file will now be reanalyzed to find the percussive transients

8) Click on the drop-down menu to the right of the tempo window in Melodyne and select the first option which says "confirm (the BPM information) as file tempo." If you have done this right, then you will see a range of tempo fragments and not a single tempo of "120 BPM" as was mentioned in a post above.

9) Once confirmed, close the Melodyne plug-in window.

10) Click on the processed audio track and then drag it up into the tempo track at the top of the arrange window in Studio One. You should see peaks and valleys of various tempos and no longer just a single straight line. Also, because you're dragging it up from bar 2, the tempo track will also begin at bar 2.

11) Well, what are you waiting for? You're done. :D

[I used Mac dictation to create this post. Didn't save me any time with so much editing afterward.]

by jpettit on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm
Just FYI. It will work with the universal algorithm as well.

by roland1 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 pm
jpettit wroteJust FYI. It will work with the universal algorithm as well.

Yes, I just tried it and it does work. However, because it's the default setting, it didn't process my track when I opened the plugin. I had to go to that menu and reselect universal again, and then the analysis of the tempo began. Bit of a glitch, I think. That's probably why I moved to the percussive algorithm, because I noticed that changing the menu selection causes the file to be reprocessed.

Either way, problem solved. And still no one else is responding. Must be sleeping in. :)

by jpettit on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm
It analysis the content to determine the analysis type, unless you set to default it to drums.
The more blobs data it has the better it does.
For exmaple: In the full version polyphonic analysis is the best.

by roland1 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am
What I meant is that when the plugin opens initially, I do not see the tempo markers on the blobs. Only in changing the algorithm do I then see that there are markers that indicate the tempo has been detected. Again, this is Melodyne Essential, the latest version 4.11.01.1 or something like that.

Also, Essential does not have "polyphonic" - but maybe that's what the default setting named "universal" refers to. Universal is such a crappy term - what does it do, detect planets? :D

P.S. If anyone wants to help save an abandoned cat's life, check out Misty's story:
https://www.gofundme.com/misty-has-a-tumor (relevant to Nov 2017)

by guitarism on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 pm
I'm still trying to get a handle on the differences of the versions for tempo mapping.

1.So, Essential can tempo map but only monophonically. If I record a track then temp map it, I can apply the tempo map to subsequent tracks I record?

2. With Editor the main benefit is it can map polyphonically and, as a consequence, tempo map more accurately?

3. Studio , in addition can edit multiple tracks at the same time? but I could achieve the same end results with Editor but by doing it one-track at-a-time?

So if I don't need to edit the sounds (formants etc) and don't mind working one-track-at-a-time, for a low track count project there may be little benefit to upgrading to Studio?

2015 iMac 27" i7 with 32GB RAM
Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by jpettit on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm
guitarism wroteI'm still trying to get a handle on the differences of the versions for tempo mapping.

1.So, Essential can tempo map but only monophonically. If I record a track then temp map it, I can apply the tempo map to subsequent tracks I record?

2. With Editor the main benefit is it can map polyphonically and, as a consequence, tempo map more accurately?

3. Studio , in addition can edit multiple tracks at the same time? but I could achieve the same end results with Editor but by doing it one-track at-a-time?

So if I don't need to edit the sounds (formants etc) and don't mind working one-track-at-a-time, for a low track count project there may be little benefit to upgrading to Studio?

1 Essential can detect tempo but you can not edit the results.

2 and 3 can detect and you can edit/fix tempo errors.

by frank.crow on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 pm
Thanks this should come in handy :+1

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by j0001s on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm
guitarism wrote2. With Editor the main benefit is it can map polyphonically and, as a consequence, tempo map more accurately?

Studio can build a tempo map based on multiple tracks. At a Melodyne seminar, the person giving the seminar suggested that dragging in multiple tracks with strong rhythmic elements would give smoother results. He suggested drums, bass, and a rhythm guitar (like a strumming acoustic).

AFAIK, there's no difference with monophonic editing for single tracks between editions. Gotta say, though, having access to all the tracks at the same time can be helpful when you're trying to tighten the phrasing of multiple vocal parts or doubles.
by dongios on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am
J Pettit -
Thanks much for sharing this. I'm using Melodyne 5 and my tempo options button did not display the option you choose. I was unable to get a tempo map. Does it only work with Melodyne 4?

Thanks again

Studio One Pro V4, Windows 10 64 bit, Audiobox 1818 VSL, Melodyne 5 Studio, 16 GB of RAM
by jpettit on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 pm
dongios wroteJ Pettit -
Thanks much for sharing this. I'm using Melodyne 5 and my tempo options button did not display the option you choose. I was unable to get a tempo map. Does it only work with Melodyne 4?

Thanks again

What version of Velodyne 5 are you using.
The ability to access and edit your tempo map only exists in the Editor or Studio versions.

The included version given with S1 can detect a tempo map but not actually see or edit it. So, it is what you get in its first guess and can be OK for very basic tempos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QX5oCpNEew&t=2s

The ability to tempo map directly in S1 without Melodyne has improved since the making of this video. If you are using Essentials or Assistant I recommend you learn the process in S1 natively.
https://youtu.be/beZEUxnQWUo

by dongios on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:43 pm
Thanks for your help. I'm using Melodyne Studio 5.1.1 with Studio One Professional 4.6.2 on a Windows 10 machine.

Studio One Pro V4, Windows 10 64 bit, Audiobox 1818 VSL, Melodyne 5 Studio, 16 GB of RAM
by kev4 on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:39 am
Does this mean you can speed up or slow down a whole project? Cubase has a tempo track which can do this, I'm new to using Studio one and am not aware if it has a tempo track, or indeed a transpose track..

https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Studio one 4 on Windows 10 Yamaha N8.
by maschinenwart on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:13 am
kev4 wrote...I'm new to using Studio one and am not aware if it has a tempo track, or indeed a transpose track..

...there is a lot of information for you ;)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnQ-ztvjHMio9j-2ujvcaygQmJbCRE5A8

best
mw

:: iMacPro
:: MacBook Pro M1 Max
:: Ventura 13.6.1

:: Studio One 6.5.1
:: UAD Apollo 8 Ouad Thunderbolt (10.2.5)
:: StudioLive 16R Series III

119 postsPage 6 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6