9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I found in the old forum (archive) a topic about an Instrument Definition Manager working with Cakewalk's ins-files, that SoundWerx has coded. Does someone know if the last version still works in V3 or if something similiar is coming for V3? It would help a lot to have a tool like that in V3.

Kind regards,
Timo
by timofinkbeiner2 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:50 am
Hello,

does nobody knows something about it?
Or have the people who used that tool left Studio One?

Here is the Link to the Topic in the Archive:
http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/36236.page

I will try to contact SoundWerx, maybe he is still on work with it.

Timo
by timofinkbeiner2 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 am
Unfortunately,

it seems that SoundWerx isn't here in the forum anymore or he changed his name. I cannot find a user called SoundWerx in the members. Too bad.

Timo
by SkylineUK on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 am
Yes, such a shame. Presonus could have easily added this when developing V3, as it's a 'self-contained' module. I get the impression their developers are young, EDM enthusiasts and MIDI is regarded as old fashioned and unworthy of attention. :thumbdown:

I don't use my Fantom X6 much these days, instead using SampleTank3 and other similar plugins, and although I upgraded to V3 and really enjoy using it, I haven't tried to use Rob's tool in V3 for fear of messing something up.

Even though I use VSTs like SampleTank for MIDI sounds I still revert to Sonar Platinum for MIDI-heavy projects because it's so much better than S1 for all things MIDI, especially PRV editing. Alas, I fear that MIDI enhancements will never be part of S1's future. But if you love mucking about with loops of other peoples' music the future looks rosy...

My songs

Intel i9 9940X @ 3.3GHz, 14 cores, 32GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 1TB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB SSD drive, plus extra 1TB HDD drive
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Studio One 64 bit. Version: 4.6.1.55987
Cakewalk by BandLab
1 Lava Lamp
by timofinkbeiner2 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:51 am
Hi,

yes it is a little shame, you're right.
That's why I´m so torn between Studio One and Sonar. Each DAW has its strength.

By the way, does anyone know if SoundWerx is still here in the forum or not? He is the only one who could tell something about his plugin. It would be sad if his work wouldn't be continued.

Timo
by Bub on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 am
I don't do this kind of thing but I've read about it, so this may not be able to be done, but can you guys Rewire Sonar in to Studio One and get one of the less expensive versions of Sonar for only doing Midi?

I only use the basics and rarely use external gear, but I always found Studio One to deal with midi far better than Sonar in regard to the features that both are capable of performing. Even more so now with some of the updates that were done to midi editing in Studio One Version 3.

Thanks,

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by Jemusic on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:48 pm
I have always believed the midi capability of Studio One has been great and will continue to be so. I for one so use quite a powerful external setup in conjunction with VST's. I have produced some very complex external midi arrangements without any issues in fact very well. You certainly do not need to rewire another complex application inside Studio One. You are asking for trouble. Work out how to do it with the resources that are already there. It is the easier and more stable way of doing it. I have tried working with more than one DAW and I found it silly. Too much to remember. Better off using one program alone.

Studio One is superior to Sonar in certain respects midi wise. It records and plays better with a better feel and timing accuracy in my opinion. The main for me is Studio One's external timing for me stays relentless and solid even when the audio side of the program is working hard under load. I found this to be the opposite in Sonar. I have heard strange (external) midi timing between midi and audio under load in Sonar.

Then there is the thing I can do while looping over a section. While looping you can seamlessly and in a gapless manner loop perfectly and jump midi tracks all on the fly. The sound changes and the data gets added in nicely. You can come in and out of record and rehearse too. Sonar cannot do this currently. For me this is a very cool feature. Even while looping external midi parts you can drag a virtual instrument into Studio One and audition prests!

The midi Note Fx are great and they all work with the external gear too which is pretty cool.

You get super low latency over midi too if you use one synth per midi port. I use a Steinberg Midex 8 under Win 7 64 bit and it works a treat. Studio One has got tons of midi capabilities. I dont think they have forgotten about it at all. If they drop midi then I will simply find a great DAW that still provides it and with solid timing.

Not a bad idea is to use any external gear you own extensively. It will still most often sound better than a lot of VST's. I would prefer a Fantom over Sample Tank any day! My external synths sound serious. It takes a pretty good VST to rival the best sounding hardware. eg Kurzweil/Roland etc. It would grind a serious computer to almost a stop to sound half as good as a Kurzweil or Roland analog synth can sound. So if you have them then use them. They take a large load from your computer and you will have CPU resources back the moment you start using hardware.

Having said that I think they have done a great job on Mai Tai though. It sounds great and very solid indeed. Once they refine its CPU usage that is going to be a stellar instrument. I spent some time with presence XT the other day and it can also sound excellent as well.

I also think instrument definitions are not so important either. They only work if the internal memories of your synths don't change but mine do every day so it won't work for me. I am always making new sounds and storing them anyway in user areas. (You should be) I think it is better to know what state any synths memory is in at that time for a given project. I would like to see Sysex recording and playback though that would be a good next midi feature. You can still use program changes to change presets but I don't do that much either.

I am confident they have got things planned out for the midi side of the program.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by timofinkbeiner2 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 am
Hello Jemusic,

thank you for your opinion. In many aspects you're surely right. That's why I will stay with Studio One.
I also think that they won't forget MIDI in the future and I hope they will integrate a small Notion into Studio One. So we would have a complete solution for Audio and MIDI.
What's said about the Instrument Definition Manager is, that a good working extension build by an user was available and they didn't take the chance to integrate it. It would have been a good feature for Studio one with nearly no costs. But perhaps they will bring it to live in a future update.

Another big point for me to stay with Studio One and not with Sonar is also their new membership-program. I'm generally careful with memberships and I feel a little bit unwell to pay for something not knowing what I get for. So I feel quite better with Studio One.

Kind regards,
Timo
by Jemusic on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 am
No matter how they paint it over there in Cakewalk if you want updates and new features you have to pay either monthly or yearly. It is basically a subscription model. All be it a slightly different one but one none the less. Yes you can buy it outright and pay for it and own it but then you are not eligible for any updates. What use is that. Especially with a progran like Sonar that depends heavily on updates.

At least we buy the program outright and get free updates and then we pay for a major upgrade when it comes out. Personally I still feel this is the best approach as well. It works with Presonus because once they bring out a new upgrade and sort out the usual initial issues with updates it will be very stable for years.

The subscription model is expensive. I need a new editor program for my new Win 7 machine. I really like Adobe Audition being a long term Cool Edit Pro user. But the reality is it is going to cost me $265 US (over $300 AU dollars) every year from now on if I decide to use it. You can own Sony Sound Forge for about the same cost for one sub year. Even as a professional being able to claim these costs on tax I still see some sub models being over priced.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

9 posts
Page 1 of 1