4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello. Here is my setup for rhythm metal. Cables out of mono/L and stereo of amp to channels 2 and 1 of Audiobox. The channels are turned to the same level. I was recording first track with mono panned all the way to the left. Then, after finishing, I would play again, recording a separate track in stereo and panned all the way right. Really liked how this sounded.

Then, messing around, I highlighted two tracks, one of which was mono panned left and the other stereo panned right, and recorded them both at the same time. To my untrained ear, this sounded the same. HUGE time saver!

But is this shortcut affecting the quality of my recording? Theoretically, it doesn't seem like it should. In a way, it almost seems like it should improve it because, when recorded separately, the guitar tracks may not be fully in synch, even if you're playing w/ the metronome or whatever.

Please let me know. I would like to be able to do them at the same time as it saves time. I spent 12-14 hours recording today.

Appreciate it.

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Presonus HD7 2x32 Ohms headphones, PreSonus M7 mic

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (64-bit) OS, 16.0 GB RAM

Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4790 @3.6 GHz, 1.8 TB storage (1.66 free)

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by dr4kan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 am
I am really surprised you said there's no difference between recording two mono takes and one stereo take. Actually the difference should be huge in heavy distorted guitar sounds. I think you should repeat your test as two mono takes should sound better in this genre. Just to extend the concept, please also note that many modern metal bands record 4 (!) takes of the same part to get a real sound wall. ;)

Guitarist and composer:
----------------------------------------------------
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/davi ... d968493291

My system:
----------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB ram
Presonus Sphere
by johnsaxon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 am
Hello. I don't think I said that there is no difference between one stereo take and two mono take. I said the first take was: 1 mono panned left and 1 sterero panned right. Then, the second take was: two tracks highlighted, one mono panned left and the other stereo panned right. In other words, in the second case, the sound of me playing the guitar is recorded into two tracks as opposed to one because the click on the mono-panned-left AND the stereo-panned-right tracks before playing the guitar. My question is whether there is a difference in terms of sound quality when doing it this way and when recording the mono-panned-left track and, once finished, recording the stereo-panned right track.

Thanks for the help.

Studio One Artist 5.4.0.66465, Audiobox USB (two channels), Vox ToneLab amp modeler

Presonus HD7 2x32 Ohms headphones, PreSonus M7 mic

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (64-bit) OS, 16.0 GB RAM

Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4790 @3.6 GHz, 1.8 TB storage (1.66 free)

Ibanez RGT 42 electric guitar, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas® Style 1 HH FR M guitar, Ibanez GSR 200 bass guitar
by codamedia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:47 am
johnsaxon wroteI said the first take was: 1 mono panned left and 1 sterero panned right. Then, the second take was: two tracks highlighted, one mono panned left and the other stereo panned right.

It is important to note that a stereo track does not "pan".... the pan control becomes nothing more than a "balance" just like a home stereo. There is a big different between the two and they sound completely different. PAN (on a mono track) allows you to pin point where you want the signal to go, the "balance" is just another volume, you don't "place" the signal anywhere - it's already on the left or right.

That said - do what sounds best to you... there are no rules.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort

4 posts
Page 1 of 1