15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if there was an easier way to combine 2 mono tracks to make a stereo track? I have a recording I did in an M/S mic configuration - after duplicating the side channel, hard panning them and inverting the phase of one track, I'd like to apply the phase inversion (using Mixtool for this) and combine the two separate mono tracks to a single stereo side channel.

Any easier way other than choosing 'Export Song' and re-importing the export?

Studio One 3.02
Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i7 2600k
16GB Corsair RAM
SSD OS drive
7200rpm data drives
UAD Quad & Duo

http://www.allthekingsmen.band
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
by dgkenney on Thu May 28, 2015 7:14 am
In the browser (can't remember off hand if it is in the pool or files section) highlight both files and right click. Should be an option to save as stereo file.

"Don't think about making music, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more music.” - stolen and paraphrased from Andy Warhol.

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by jc24 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 am
Thanks but I need to render the insert effect too (mixtool inverting phase). I guess I could transform then do the browser thing...

Studio One 3.02
Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i7 2600k
16GB Corsair RAM
SSD OS drive
7200rpm data drives
UAD Quad & Duo

http://www.allthekingsmen.band
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
by jonathanwood5 on Sun May 27, 2018 7:51 pm
Sorry, as of yet the Studio One team doesn't seem to think this would be a nice feature.

Jonathan Wood
Studio One 3 Professional
Studio 192
Windows 10, 64-Bit, 16GB
https://soundcloud.com/jonathanwood
by Lawrence on Mon May 28, 2018 7:13 am
jonathanwood5 wroteSorry, as of yet the Studio One team doesn't seem to think this would be a nice feature.

Not sure if that's a fair assessment or if anyone has even asked for it on Answers (I didn't look tbh). :)

Exporting a stereo stem of that takes all of 7-10 seconds (to start it, maybe longer to get the reult if the tracks are an hour long) but he did ask if there is another way to do that and the answer is yes, probably 2-3 different other ways, but I doubt if any of them are faster than just rendering a stem of those tracks.

For example, you can stack clips on the same track, use Event FX on each clip, switch the track to stereo and turn on play overlaps and just bounce or mixdown selection to get a new stereo file. But again, that will be slower than just rendering a stem.

(P.S. Have a happy holiday. I'm now going to try to light my BBQ grill without setting myself or anyone else on fire. :mrgreen: )
by robertgray3 on Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 am
The method Lawrence detailed of bouncing overlapping events on a track is I think the fastest way we have right now. It’s how I do it anyhow. It would admittedly be much easier if it was a simple right click operation from the arrange window.

If you’re in a voting mood these are some feature requests that touch on this issue. Splitting stereo files seems more popular (like a hundred fifty votes more popular), probably because the present alternative for that is much more time consuming than it is for combining mono files to stereo.

http://answers.presonus.com/25546/easy- ... 546#q25546

http://answers.presonus.com/24914/merge ... 914#q24914
Last edited by robertgray3 on Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Lawrence on Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am
Edit: What usually happens when you think about doing something someone else wants to do that you may never really do, you have a tendency to overthink it, as we all did here. Once you sit down to try it, it all becomes more clear.

Select the clips and Event > Mixdown Selection renders a new stereo file to a new track. It really is that simple..

make stereo.png
make stereo.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
by robertgray3 on Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm
Here's a macro that does this with Mixdown Selection (less potentially destructive than bouncing and deleting in the macro).

Merge Two Mono Tracks to Stereo.studioonemacro
A macro for combining two tracks into one stereo track. Both tracks must be stereo tracks. The events on the first track will be panned left, the events on the second track will be panned right. Select the first track and fire the macro.
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 607 times

I don't have to do this often so I forgot how many steps there are. It can add up to be pretty time consuming without a macro, assuming you have to do this a lot.

Another way is to go into the Files browser and select two pieces of media, right click, and select "Merge to Stereo File." But this has its own disadvantages to the macro approach as you have to open another browser, find files, and re-import files.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Fire Escape on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 am
How do I download the macro and get it to appear in presonus for the merge two mono tracks to stereo?
by Quietly on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 am
Lawrence wroteEdit: What usually happens when you think about doing something someone else wants to do that you may never really do, you have a tendency to overthink it, as we all did here. Once you sit down to try it, it all becomes more clear.

Select the clips and Event > Mixdown Selection renders a new stereo file to a new track. It really is that simple..

make stereo.png

Lawrence just to say thank you for this as after watching several confusing videos I found this thread and your post. So simple as you say and I am not sure why some people appear to make things as complicated as they can. LOL

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by kdm on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:12 pm
This is an old thread, but there is a very common case where we need a way to convert dual mono tracks to stereo, without bouncing: AAF imports.

When AAFs are imported, interleaved files are split to dual mono. The purpose of AAF is to retain and transfer edits and automation. While the split on import is a limitation of AAF, we need a way to convert dual mono tracks to stereo without losing the edits.

ProTools' method should be adopted by every DAW, but certainly Studio One: drag a selection of events on two mono tracks to a stereo track and they are automatically converted to stereo events with edits, fades, crossfades and automation transferred as is - no bouncing or rendering.

Super simple, and it fits with Studio One's drag and drop paradigm. This is just as common in music as it is in audio post. It would save a huge amount of time and be an improvement even over ProTools if S1 could automatically combined dual mono (L/R) tracks to stereo on import, retaining all edits.

I would put this above surround on my wishlist. Once implemented, it could be applied to multichannel files and tracks if surround is added at some point. But even just for stereo/music projects moving from another DAW into Studio One, this would be a very welcome addition.
by Tacman7 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:25 pm
You can split a stereo file into two mono files with a right click in the browser and also merge two mono files into stereo with a right click.

But I get what you're saying that it needs to be done on import.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by kdm on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 pm
Tacman7 wroteYou can split a stereo file into two mono files with a right click in the browser and also merge two mono files into stereo with a right click.

Of course, but that is only a benefit when importing individual files into a new project and needing to merge (dual mono from ProTools, etc), or split (sound effects spotting). It is good to have that feature in those cases at least.

But I get what you're saying that it needs to be done on import.

And not just merged on import to the pool, but placing merged dual mono files onto a single stereo track, retaining the original events, edits, fades and handles. Grouping pairs of mono tracks is the only workaround currently. Okay on smaller projects, but not a great solution for large edit/mix long form projects.
by ianaeillo on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:45 pm
I work in MS with orchestral recordings and routinely do what you’re talking about by selecting the regions I’d like to convert to stereo and hitting option+shift+r on a Mac. It bounces with all plugins + external processing and all volume / automation changes and panning to a new track. It then mutes the regions I selected.

I will often mix my main MS mics and option+shift+r until the instrumentation changes. Then I will find similar instrumentation later in the recordings and only bounce those regions. It’s handy that it mutes the already mixed versions.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by ianaeillo on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 pm
kdm wroteThis is an old thread, but there is a very common case where we need a way to convert dual mono tracks to stereo, without bouncing: AAF imports.

When AAFs are imported, interleaved files are split to dual mono. The purpose of AAF is to retain and transfer edits and automation. While the split on import is a limitation of AAF, we need a way to convert dual mono tracks to stereo without losing the edits.

ProTools' method should be adopted by every DAW, but certainly Studio One: drag a selection of events on two mono tracks to a stereo track and they are automatically converted to stereo events with edits, fades, crossfades and automation transferred as is - no bouncing or rendering.

Super simple, and it fits with Studio One's drag and drop paradigm. This is just as common in music as it is in audio post. It would save a huge amount of time and be an improvement even over ProTools if S1 could automatically combined dual mono (L/R) tracks to stereo on import, retaining all edits.

I would put this above surround on my wishlist. Once implemented, it could be applied to multichannel files and tracks if surround is added at some point. But even just for stereo/music projects moving from another DAW into Studio One, this would be a very welcome addition.

I record in pro tools and mix in S1 and dislike a lot about how S1 imports AAFs. It is far easier to do what you’re saying in Pro Tools. However Option+Shift+R is really also and I do it to my stereo tracks on every AAF import.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10

15 posts
Page 1 of 1