75 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
I did not go through the steps, though I opened the project again after working in another one and the session held with all VSTs working... bleep.

So is there a log file that I can look into or not? I'd like to understand the problem more.

Studio https://redpeakaudio.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15
MoBo: Gigabyte B250-HD3P
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5
DAW: StudioOne 4.6.0
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
by akshaynaik on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Hi one and all..
Yesterday I encounter the same problem while working on one of my project in studio one..
Which was showing 666 DB clipping..
And yes I found the solution for this after working for 2 Nights ..
The solution is to check each and every track by zooming it at the same bar where you get the clipping.
After zooming that particular part ,you will find that one of the audio file will show you a big distorted waveline (this is only visible when you zoom in the track) you don't have to do anything just cut the distorted part and delete it...
Your problem will be solved permanently..
Only the problem is you have to go through each and every track you have arranged at the same bar where the clipping occurs..
For example if the clipping has occurred on third minute.. then you will have to stop your cursor on the third minut and check all the tracks right from track 1
To the rest of the tracks you have added by zooming each individual track
And I promise you you will find the clipped one.. delete the clipped part.. this resolves the issue
by redpeakaudio on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:05 am
Interesting, but not applicable if it happens on a track with VSTi synth.

Studio https://redpeakaudio.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15
MoBo: Gigabyte B250-HD3P
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5
DAW: StudioOne 4.6.0
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
by lesleybrown1 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:36 am
Ive seen that this has been a problem since atleast 2015, to my knowledge. It would be nice if the PreSonus team could provide some information on how to avoid this 'non-bug' in their system so as to take precausion during my workflow. having to restart the DAW everytime this happens when there is no clear indication why it happens is more than frustrating.

And yes, I just got the "devils clip" tonight. :x
by robertgray3 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:53 am
There are several things that can cause a 666 error. First party and third party. They vary from version to version. The old ones are fixed, new ones appear.

In my view, the problem is that their method to mute the outputs when there is a 666 error only works some of the time.

In early V5 the then-current issue of Serum could cause a 666 error that failed silently. At the same time, Presonus' own Impact XT's Eco Filter could cause a 666 error that let a full-scale signal through to the outputs.
Last edited by robertgray3 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by PreAl on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 am
lesleybrown1 wroteIve seen that this has been a problem since atleast 2015, to my knowledge. It would be nice if the PreSonus team could provide some information on how to avoid this 'non-bug' in their system so as to take precausion during my workflow. having to restart the DAW everytime this happens when there is no clear indication why it happens is more than frustrating.

And yes, I just got the "devils clip" tonight. :x

viewtopic.php?p=118170#p118170

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Bub on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:51 pm
PreAl wrotehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=118170#p118170

The post PreAI linked to basically states that it's not a problem with Studio One and is a plug-in problem.

This is a problem with Studio One that no other DAW that I have ever used or heard of has. I have actually had hearing damage because of this, as well as other people. Do not downplay the seriousness of the problem by blowing it off on to 3rd party developers.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by PreAl on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:01 am
Bub wrote
PreAl wrotehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=118170#p118170

The post PreAI linked to basically states that it's not a problem with Studio One and is a plug-in problem.

This is a problem with Studio One that no other DAW that I have ever used or heard of has. I have actually had hearing damage because of this, as well as other people. Do not downplay the seriousness of the problem by blowing it off on to 3rd party developers.

I have no idea if it is plugins or studio one in your instance. I'm not a mind reader.
What have you done to rule out plugins which is always the first port of call. Please don't shoot the messenger when he is in fact providing very helpful information. Plugins often stop working properly upon S1 upgrades because S1 may use different libraries, often the solution is to upgrade the plugin. Ultimately you need to rule this out first, plugins regularly break regardless of which DAW you use, it's certainly not an issue exclusive to S1, it's an issue with software in general.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jBranam on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:29 am
here is a link to an old plugin that may help... not fix the problem but for safety's sake. i agree with Bub that i have ONLY seen this problem with studio one. it may be in fact initiated by a plugin (1st or 3rd party) but the problem lies within studio one itself and to just blame a plugin or plugins is just brushing the problem under the rug. apparently presonus is unable to fix it since it has been around since the advent of v2 that i know of and it keeps raising it's ugly head. as i recall i was the first to bring it to their attention and from the pic i posted back then Bub was the one that noticed my meter reading 666... hence how it came to be known. sadly it does or can have the potential to damage one's hearing especially if it happens while wearing headphones when it happens. my first experience it screamed at me and locked up the software leaving my system screaming and i had to hard boot to stop it. thank God i was able to unplug my interface to kill the piercing sound and also i am thankful i was NOT wearing headphones. i believe presonus has implemented an automute for if/when it happens as a precaution. ice9 is an additional automute plugin again for safety's sake if you wish

cheers

https://vstplugin.net/cerberus-audio-ice9-automute/

p.s. i will say one thing in presonus' favor... it is almost impossible to fix the problem because it has never been repeatable. it is a purely random event and being so it can't really be remedied if you can't track it down to the source. but automute is a bandaid that is effective imo

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by PreAl on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:57 am
jBranam wrotehere is a link to an old plugin that may help... not fix the problem but for safety's sake. i agree with Bub that i have ONLY seen this problem with studio one. it may be in fact initiated by a plugin (1st or 3rd party) but the problem lies within studio one itself and to just blame a plugin or plugins is just brushing the problem under the rug. apparently presonus is unable to fix it since it has been around since the advent of v2 that i know of and it keeps raising it's ugly head. as i recall i was the first to bring it to their attention and from the pic i posted back then Bub was the one that noticed my meter reading 666... hence how it came to be known. sadly it does or can have the potential to damage one's hearing especially if it happens while wearing headphones when it happens. my first experience it screamed at me and locked up the software leaving my system screaming and i had to hard boot to stop it. thank God i was able to unplug my interface to kill the piercing sound and also i am thankful i was NOT wearing headphones. i believe presonus has implemented an automute for if/when it happens as a precaution. ice9 is an additional automute plugin again for safety's sake if you wish

cheers

https://vstplugin.net/cerberus-audio-ice9-automute/

p.s. i will say one thing in presonus' favor... it is almost impossible to fix the problem because it has never been repeatable. it is a purely random event and being so it can't really be remedied if you can't track it down to the source. but automute is a bandaid that is effective imo

Again you need to rule out plugins first. Plugins behave differently with different DAWs, they can access a different code base. Once you've gone through that process then you can start pointing fingers at studio one and not before. From my perspective it makes no difference to me whether it's plugins or studio one, I don't have the issue. The main thing is to fix the issue. The way to do that is with clear specific steps to reproduce, with a bare minimum project, ruling everything else out, otherwise the issue won't get fixed (whether it's a plugin or studio one).

by robertgray3 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:08 am
jBranam wrotei believe presonus has implemented an automute for if/when it happens as a precaution.

Here's the fun part - there's apparently always been an "automute" for this issue. It just doesn't work all the time.

jBranam wroteit is almost impossible to fix the problem because it has never been repeatable.

It is possible to fix the problem and it has been repeatable at various times. I don't feel like searching old release notes but there were separate bugs in Mai Tai, Impact XT, and Sampleone that caused a 666 error. Each of them got fixed, but the issue of it being able to pass along a full-output noise didn't. If I had to guess why, maybe they view that aspect as a new feature and it's in a different waiting line?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by jBranam on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:55 am
i have never heard anyone being able to repeat it (i certainly do not know everything) and it does not seem to always be the same plugs that cause it. personally i would love for it to be tracked down and removed if at all possible. as you stated above it can be first and third party plugins that initiate the output.

cheers

p.s. the ice9 automute although it is an added precaution still allows (i've heard from others) a click to pass before the mute is activated but that is far better than the continuous sound i experienced in the past
Last edited by jBranam on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by robertgray3 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 am
jBranam wrotei have never heard anyone being able to repeat it

Ok, but “666” basically means part of the host crashed. It’s an error message. You can’t fix 666 errors in general afaik without some kind of sandboxing and latency. What can be fixed and what PT and Logic have a reliable solution for is keeping those crashes from sending a 1528dB signal to the outputs.

I’ve found, repeated, and reported issues where this happened in the past. Each time they fixed what caused the error, but it seems the audio engine’s auto mute still doesn’t always work.
Last edited by robertgray3 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by jBranam on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:03 am
right :)

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Bub on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 am
PreAl wroteI have no idea if it is plugins or studio one in your instance. I'm not a mind reader.
What have you done to rule out plugins which is always the first port of call. Please don't shoot the messenger when he is in fact providing very helpful information. Plugins often stop working properly upon S1 upgrades because S1 may use different libraries, often the solution is to upgrade the plugin. Ultimately you need to rule this out first, plugins regularly break regardless of which DAW you use, it's certainly not an issue exclusive to S1, it's an issue with software in general.

My reply was not directed toward you but the post you provided a link to.

The issue is absolutely isolated to Studio One and caused by Studio One, not plugins. No other DAW I have ever used and I've used most of them at one time or another over the last roughly 25 years has ever created a situation where a plugin can cause ear damaging and equipment damaging levels of random noise. It is unacceptable. Period.

I'm tired of developers blowing their problems off on each other and downplaying legitimate problems. Cakewalk is a prime example. That was such a bad train wreck they went out of business. Then in just a short year after someone buying the rights to the software and fixing the bugs it has become more rock solid state than Studio One used to be. And it's free!.

Celemony ... for years I've been asking for help. All of my tech support emails were ignored. My new DAW I built years ago was lightning fast until they issued an update one time. Then Studio One would hang for 10 seconds at start up when it was initializing Melodyne. I've wiped my system, formatted, reinstalled Windows 10, Studio One, all my plugins, Melodyne. Nothing helped. I just recently upgraded to Melodyne Studio 5 and the problem went away. So they knew something was wrong with it but they never fixed it and ignored the problem just like Presonus is with this 666 error.

So yeah, you are right, some plugins are garbage and can cause problems, but I have never in the 25 plus years I have been using software to record have I ever had my ears blown out the back of my head like I have with Studio One.

I've been using Studio One since January 2011 according to my account. It's happened with almost every plugin I have including the ones that come with Studio One. It's not a plugin problem, it's a host problem. Period.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by PreAl on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 am
Bub wrote
PreAl wroteI have no idea if it is plugins or studio one in your instance. I'm not a mind reader.

My reply was not directed toward you but the post you provided a link to.

The issue is absolutely isolated to Studio One and caused by Studio One, not plugins. No other DAW I have ever used and I've used most of them at one time or another over the last roughly 25 years has ever created a situation where a plugin can cause ear damaging and equipment damaging levels of random noise. It is unacceptable. Period.

I'm tired of developers blowing their problems off on each other and downplaying legitimate problems. Cakewalk is a prime example. That was such a bad train wreck they went out of business. Then in just a short year after someone buying the rights to the software and fixing the bugs it has become more rock solid state than Studio One used to be. And it's free!.

Celemony ... for years I've been asking for help. All of my tech support emails were ignored. My new DAW I built years ago was lightning fast until they issued an update one time. Then Studio One would hang for 10 seconds at start up when it was initializing Melodyne. I've wiped my system, formatted, reinstalled Windows 10, Studio One, all my plugins, Melodyne. Nothing helped. I just recently upgraded to Melodyne Studio 5 and the problem went away. So they knew something was wrong with it but they never fixed it and ignored the problem just like Presonus is with this 666 error.

So yeah, you are right, some plugins are garbage and can cause problems, but I have never in the 25 plus years I have been using software to record have I ever had my ears blown out the back of my head like I have with Studio One.

I've been using Studio One since January 2011 according to my account. It's happened with almost every plugin I have including the ones that come with Studio One. It's not a plugin problem, it's a host problem. Period.

I was standing up for the poster for being helpful, and for some reason I can't fathom you are somehow blaming him for the useful info he has provided. As I stated if you aren't ruling out plugins first then you are simply diagnosing your issue on just your opinion and hunches rather than actually diagnosing your issue from a technical perspective. I've already written what needs to be done, and sure, it's your choice whether you want to listen on not, but I'm afraid "opinion", whilst you are entitled to it, isn't going to resolve your issue, and just to repeat I have no idea if you have a plugin issue or not, as you haven't ruled out plugins first and just gone on your beliefs.

by Bub on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 pm
PreAl wroteI was standing up for the poster for being helpful, and for some reason I can't fathom you are somehow blaming him for the useful info he has provided. As I stated if you aren't ruling out plugins first then you are simply diagnosing your issue on just your opinion and hunches rather than actually diagnosing your issue from a technical perspective. I've already written what needs to be done, and sure, it's your choice whether you want to listen on not, but I'm afraid "opinion", whilst you are entitled to it, isn't going to resolve your issue, and just to repeat I have no idea if you have a plugin issue or not, as you haven't ruled out plugins first and just gone on your beliefs.

Thanks for replying.

Have a good day.

Shane

by Morticia on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 am
Hiya Bub,

Good to see that you are still around and I hope you are OK.
As you can see the vibe here on the forum has changed somewhat :|

It looks like the terrifying loud noise issue still persists from Version 2.
I would rather have the soft click of Cerberus Ice 9 in my ears than risk hearing damage.

Take care.
Stephanie

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by Bub on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pm
Morticia wroteHiya Bub,

Good to see that you are still around and I hope you are OK.
As you can see the vibe here on the forum has changed somewhat :|

It looks like the terrifying loud noise issue still persists from Version 2.
I would rather have the soft click of Cerberus Ice 9 in my ears than risk hearing damage.

Take care.
Stephanie

Hi!! It's good to see you! I'm doing well, hope you are too. The vibe sure has changed. I rarely ever come here. I just happened to pop in the other day and was astonished to see my old thread had been revived yet again. Hah! :)

I haven't actually run in to the problem in a very long time but I sure have seen reports of it. Telling people it's a plugin problem, knowing it happens with your plugin's as well as everybody else's, places it directly on your lap. But it's falling on deaf ears, no pun intended. :lol:

I have to be honest, I'm torn between S1 and Cakewalk by Bandlab. I never would have switched in the first place if it would have been as stable then as it is now. And I'd still have a few more dB of hearing than I do now.

We used to have a lot of fun on the old forum. Too bad they destroyed that.

Shane

by hello people on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:45 am
I just got 666'd in the latest SO version. I took it as a sign to finally give up recording and mixing.

Seriously, my mixes need a priest.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II

75 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4