27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Was wondering if anyone use the Mackie Universal Pro specifically with S1 now. Have a few questions so if you can provide a little insight, this would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks.

Possibly interested in purchasing one. Also comparing it to some of the other control surfaces with motorized faders out there.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lokeyfly on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 am
There doesn't seem to be many users at least in the way of our little group. In searching the forum, there is some conversation of purchasing one, and some comparisons, but largely little to really find.

Too bad,

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by funkshun on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 am
I'm using an MCU Pro with Studio One, and it works fine..All the basic control buttons works, meters work, signal lights work...Studio One provides ducumentation telling you what each button can do, some of it is programable...Basically I'm very happy with my MCU, it does what I want it to do, others may differ.....
by Lokeyfly on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:47 pm
Ah, I forgot about the info Presonus provides on that. Thanks for that. I just read it over. During the week, I'll check it out with a hands-on here in Manhattan. The MCU Pro has been out a while now, but it's pretty much what I'm looking for tackling some mixes I have, and future work. Glad you like it. Plus the expansion's are there for it, which are really nice, if I even opt to use them.
Two simple questions I had were:
Any downsides, or portions of the control surface that don't work with Studio One?

What would you wish the MCU Pro had that it currently doesn't? Either existing or something you'd add.

I know with some DAW's like PT, the master fader wont work, in HUI mode. On the other hand, there are some functions that will only work with the MCU Pro in Pro Tools. Was a little curious about that and its limits with S1, if any.

I take it, you have the latest version in white, correct?
Thanks funkshun!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lequarius on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:54 am
I rented a MCU Pro unit, and it hooked up seamlessly and worked like a charm. It's a great piece of equipment. Expensive though. I would save the money though and get a CS18 when it comes out.

If you have an iPad you might want to try DAW Remote HD by EMUlabs. It is an excellent control surface for Studio One. It even has a specific template for Studio One. If your already using AI-Mix or Q-Mix then this is an excellent companion. It is also excellent at writing automation as faders become touch sensitive when using the iPad. It also has templates for the other major DAW's as well.

I use it for sound checks and room tuning in and around a venue. The nice thing is it only costs about the same as a case of beer! For those that can't afford a physical controller, this might be a good alternative

For myself, I have always thought my 24.4.2 AI should have had motorized faders, but I guess Presonus is walking the middle of the road between Professional use and home use.

Anyway that's my two cents Canadian. LOL

Cheers

Athena 4U Chassis i7-3770K Processor 5.0GHz(OC)|Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H|2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600|2GB Crucial SSD|SanDisk Extreme Pro 500GB SSD|SIIG 3 Port 9 wire Firewire Card|VIA 3 Port USB 2.0 Card|LG DVD/CD Drive|Gigabyte GTX 750 1GB(OC)|S1 Pro 4|D-Link DIR-615|Edirol UA-700|AB1818VSL |AS-900T IE Monitor System|Studiolive 24 S3|Studiolive RM16L|Alesis SR18|Digitech Vocalist Live Pro|Behringer DSP2024P|Nektar LX88+|Alesis Strike Force E-Drums|
by Lokeyfly on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 pm
Lequarius wrote: ........For myself, I have always thought my 24.4.2 AI should have had motorized faders, but I guess Presonus is walking the middle of the road between Professional use and home use.

Anyway that's my two cents Canadian. LOL

Yeah, never understood that with the 24.4.2.1. You know, the teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Only in that case, you hand him a fishing pole and say "Want to Fish? How does it feel to want?". Lol.

Great unit the CS18AI is, though it's still based on the same premise and will still need some work on getting over the fat channel only hump. It's very blasé, there imo. Great unit to tie into an RM device though. I'd like to trial one and be proven wrong though.

I may try the tablet route, but I'd prefer a more open approach like the Smithson Martin Emulator Pro. It's open ended design is fantastic, and very innovative. Basically a make your own multitouch controller, and it's for PC tablets which I have. I'd have to see if the non feel of fader knobs, and largely surface glass works for me. Still, a fun alternative though.

Hey, no shortage of good hockey coming up. Let's Go RANGERS!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by duffman on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:08 am
Yeah I do and I recently added the Extender Pro.
Now having used both the MCU & ExPro together, I realize I should have added EXPro a lot sooner.
And am actually thinking of adding a second ExPro.
Although it was not bad "banking up" to see the next set of 8 tracks, it really is a whole lot nicer being able to see the whole mix at once.

Love the way S1 writes automation points. Don't have to "thin" them out after writting, nice and neat on first pass.
I don't like the way S1 has some of the buttons programed and hope in the next version users have a really good way to remap/map them to what we want.

MAC Studio M1 Ultra 64 gig 1tb - 4x1tb external ssd - 4 tb hdd backup- 3-32” 4k Viewsonic monitors - RME Fireface 802 with ARC controller - Mackie MCU Pro & Extender - Keystation 49 - iPad Pro for remote S1 control - too many mics, guitars, bases & amps to list
by matthewgorman on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 am
Just out of curiosity, and I know the product hasn't been released, but why this over the CS18? Getting 16 faders on the MCU is going to cost almost the same, and you get a product in development vs something that is what it is?

Its been stated that 3rd party plug support is being developed. True that there is no jog wheel, but we don't have scrub in S1 so is that a big deal?

Not trying to poke holes in the products, just curious on what makes one more attractive than the other?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm
mathewgorman wrote: Just out of curiosity, and I know the product hasn't been released, but why this over the CS18? Getting 16 faders on the MCU is going to cost almost the same, and you get a product in development vs something that is what it is?

Its been stated that 3rd party plug support is being developed. True that there is no jog wheel, but we don't have scrub in S1 so is that a big deal?

Not trying to poke holes in the products, just curious on what makes one more attractive than the other?

Hi Matt, I can only answer for me, and your question is a fair one.

As we all know most products have their trade offs be it new or old. In the case of the CS18AI, it's going to be wonderful for some with its 16 readily addressable faders, pans and general mixer layout. I applaud it. We know more is in the works with accessing more control points, and therefore the asking price is legitimate for a good many. So far, so good.

The flip side is, and this is not a dis on the CS18AI, but a point of view of what many like myself are looking for in the market place. That is a control surface not equipped (with added costs and functionality) towards the RM16 & RM32. A control surface that can readily access "any" plugin control parameters, via learn or mapping control, and simply a more streamlined motorized fader design for DAW's only. So in the current state of what's out there, some surface control devices do enough of what's needed, even though they are older designs. Many of the HUI and similar controllers are generic in their design, so that can lend itself to some good & not so good trade-offs. Like some buttons will only function with some DAW's and not others. Etc., etc. It's also worth noting some HUI controllers are pretty professional in their design and others not so. The Mackie MCU is one to the better choices in that group.

So it's really a matter of weighing out whach ya gets fur yer buckaroos.
Someone who's budget is to keep that controller under a grand and buy an extension device later (when they can) is a very real consideration. Someone else may have a keyboard with a few control knobs and uses a faderport, is another very real and legitimate need. Perhaps they have a deadline to press their CD and meet those costs as well. So we all dance to a different beat.

Oh yeah, as to a jog wheel, sure I'd like to see one, but it's not much of an issue. One sweep across the top of my touch mouse and I can whisk anywhere along the timeline. As you say S1 doesn't scrub, and that hasn't been an issue with me, though I'd like to see it in the future. For scrubbing I use Melodyne Editor, so that's fine.

In the final analysis, the CS18AI has it's own place, but it's not necessarily the desirable item for many looking for other or even similar possibilities with motorized faders and no RM needs, or even Ethernet needs.

This is at least my reasoning and doing some comparative shopping along the way.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by duffman on Fri May 01, 2015 5:42 am
The MCU is supported by other DAWs, the dedicated audio editor I use, and Sony Vegas.
And in Vegas I push a button on the MCU and I jump from video track control right into surround mixing and back.
Yes there is no scrub persay in S1 but the jog wheel does control the playback head. If, during playback, you use the jog wheel and scroll the timeline cursor to a new position and let off the playback will jump to and start from that new position. Very handy indeed..

MAC Studio M1 Ultra 64 gig 1tb - 4x1tb external ssd - 4 tb hdd backup- 3-32” 4k Viewsonic monitors - RME Fireface 802 with ARC controller - Mackie MCU Pro & Extender - Keystation 49 - iPad Pro for remote S1 control - too many mics, guitars, bases & amps to list
by Lokeyfly on Fri May 01, 2015 7:38 am
Thanks duffman, good stuff! I really appreciate the feedback.

I also agree having the extra extensions is a real nice addition and easy to get used to. At first I would run with the 8 on the master unit, but would easily welcome more. It's pretty easy to jump 8x, or 1x as it can do in a pinch for the time being. Good luck on getting another extension. You'll be sitting nice with 24!

Btw, I stopped by Sam Ash here in NYC yesterday but they didn't have one on hand to try out. I'll try Guitar Center, and see if they have one in a few stores near me. I will probably hold out for a short time to see when the CS18 is released and in hopes that it offers more, but I won't wait too long on that. There's another 8x HUI controller with motorized faders called the Icon Q con. Only
$749, but not sure about it just yet.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by matthewgorman on Fri May 01, 2015 8:01 am
Thanks L. Curiosity settled. And IMHO, its perfectly ok to debate the usefulness of the CS18. Not everyone has a use for every product. I personally have no use for a Mercedes. Doesn't mean the Mercedes is a POS, just means I don't need one.

Presonus is on record that the initial reason for the CS was to control the RM mixers, and create a modular flexible setup for live use. On the flip side, I have seen for years the requests and needs for better controller integration for S1. At this point, however, it would be silly not to realize that any future controller focus will be on the CS18 for integration, not 3rd party.

All good. Carry on. Think I could get $1900.00 in trade in for my Faderport? Maybe a prince in some 3rd world country with a hankering to make music, and poor equipment distribution in their native land? Know anyone fitting that description? Maybe I'll contact that Prince that I am apparently related to and who wants to park some money in my account.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Lokeyfly on Sat May 02, 2015 7:02 am
Just a rehash of a few questions if anyone can contribute to who has worked with the MCU Pro are:
Two simple questions I had were:
Any downsides, or portions of the control surface that don't work with Studio One?

What would you wish the MCU Pro had that it currently doesn't? Either existing or something you'd add.
I know with some DAW's like PT, the master fader wont work, in HUI mode. On the other hand, there are some functions that will only work with the MCU Pro in Pro Tools. Was a little curious about that and its limits with S1, if any.

Just a BTW, the ICon QCon Pro controller (must be the "Pro" version) isn't too shabby, and for the price of the MCU Pro, which comes with 8 faders, the Qcon could be had with an extension of 8 more faders, and same 8 channel layout, with encoders, giving a total of 16.

ICon also have an interface that can be installed on the back which make it an 8 channel mixer, so it's effectively not stuck as just a MIDI controller only. Pretty smart expansion thinking there.

Still, I would A/B the QCon Pro against the Mackie, to compare fader touch control (they both have that) and other comparisons. Yes, the Mackie may be better in build quality, but the Qcon seems to have it together. The layout is largely like the MCU Pro. Any QCon Pro owners feel free to chime in.

Qcon Pro with 1 extension (accepts 3 extensions)
Review:http://www.espace-cubase.org/anglais/page.php?page=qconpro
In one video, I saw where Studio One was called up, in the list DAW's to select from, when initializing.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Jemusic on Sun May 03, 2015 6:18 pm
I posted this in another thread. It may be of interest. These controllers look very nice indeed. The guy in the video has got them all up and happening that is for sure.

You could get away with one Artist Control and one Artist Mix. That would be a good combo. Not cheap though close to $2500 all up! But if you are really controller motivated this could be a good approach.

For those who are interested in the control surface only option this could be a good solution.

All of these following products can be interfaced perfectly to work with Studio One. Despite the fact that on the surface (sorry!) it seems that Studio One does not support the EUCON protocol very well.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Control
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Mix
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Transport

Here is the video explaining how to do it.

phpBB [video]

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sun May 03, 2015 9:23 pm
Yeah Jemusic, that [Placement] selection can come in handy in S1 preferences. So that last video comes in handy.
Btw, thanks for sharing. i am aware of Avid's assortment of controllers, originally from Euphonix. I really like the S3 ($5k). I'm primarily looking for a straight forward surface control setup, as I use the computer keyboard, key commands, and largely use the mouse. Still, there are times when a control surface would by much better with multiple channels, and more hands on control.

What is interesting is how the CS18AI handles colors for identifying channels and groups. That does mimic some of Avids channel color ID. So great feedback there. It's going to be interesting how S1v3 sizes up with the likes of the new CS controller, and even using the current crop of HUI, or Eucon protocol devices. Worth keeping a watch on these things.

You just know it's a situation of buy now, and be sorry later, or by later and be sorry it took so damn long. :)

So to keep things in perspective, I'm going to make a purchase near the end of June. That will allow me to size up what's out there, and make a choice based on what works enough to get the job done.

Hope things are out by June, and not lolly gagging. Won't stop me if they're not though, as S1 is working perfectly for my needs. That's the important thing.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Jemusic on Sun May 03, 2015 11:42 pm
I have just read a great review of the S3 here in an Australian magazine but like all things Avid it is way over priced for what it is. It is close to $7000 here I think. And remember it is mainly only a controller surface to boot. So for that sort of money there are some better options like a top end Yamaha digital mixer with tons of DSP on board.

As you say might be a good idea to wait and see what happens. There is already mention of new features for Studio One being built into the CS18Ai. (Fat Channel etc)

And V3 might bring better Eucon protocol into the picture too. Some of those surfaces look pretty nice.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Mon May 04, 2015 4:39 am
Jemusic wrote: I have just read a great review of the S3 here in an Australian magazine but like all things Avid it is way over priced for what it is. It is close to $7000 here I think. And remember it is mainly only a controller surface to boot. So for that sort of money there are some better options like a top end Yamaha digital mixer with tons of DSP on board.

I know, asking 7K is almost criminal. Thing is, they'll get it from dedicated PT users. Particularly the HD bunch who want a mobile solution.
I think the S3 has 4 in, and 6 out. Doesn't justify that price though. Too steep.

I'm a fan and former owner of yamaha's O2R and the Promix 1. Amazing, no one as been able to compete on those levels. My only complaint with Yamaha's mixers are their preamp quality is not all that great. Good enough yeah, but the difference is audible. They just don't have the headroom that mixers like Mackie have. At least in my past experience. They could have improved since then, but I've always been cautious on that end. They're signal processing on the other hand is quite good.

As you say though, look at the difference of what you get for the Money. Very true.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by richardwhite14 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 am
I realize this is an old post, but in case someone is still looking to see if the Mackie MCU Pro and Mackie C4 will work with Studio Pro, I have it working on Windows 10 with 5 shortcuts assignable to most buttons on the MCU Pro, and using the Mackie C4 Commander program to provide most functionality of the C4. It is an awesome set up!

I am doing this with the help of a program called Bome Midi Translator Pro.

I’m happy to help other Mackie MCU Pro / C4 users if you are still trying to get to work. If you purchase Bome Midi Translator Pro, I can share with you the configuration files to get it working. Similar the .XML definition files I used to the Mackie C4.

Both the MCU Pro and C4 are working fine with Studio One v5.2 now.

Note for Mackie MCU Pro users: If you are having problems with occasional spurious fader movements (on mine it was the master fader), I suggest you disable your virus scanner on your computer. When I was running Studio One Pro v4, I was having this problem. Someone suggested I disable the Virus Scanner. I uninstalled my BitDefender Suite program, and then the problems disappeared..

R.

p..s Update 21.4.20: I edited this post to remove my comment about spurious CC#46 messages. The problem was that I had accidentally plugged a foot pedal into the external controller port of my MCU Pro. So the MCU Pro was correctly sending these CC#46 messages as it was designed to do. When I removed the foot pedal the problem went away, and I no longer needed the work around translation in Bome MIDI Translator. Thanks for the fine Presonus Studio One team for helping me to find this problem!
Last edited by richardwhite14 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
by ericherrmann on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 am
Hi Richard,

I am very very much interested in the information you provided!
I recently switched from Sonar to S1 and realised there was some support for my MCU Pro but not for the C4. I was very much disappointed about this and could not find any info on the possibility to make it work...until I came across this post.

I will investigate in your solution and would be very glad if you could share your configuration file.

Thanks a lot!
Eric
by richardwhite14 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 am
Hi Eric:

I’d be glad to help.

Give me a couple of days and I’ll post my config files and some documentation (to be written) on how to use these.

I think I will create a new thread on the subject, and post a referring link to it in this thread. Hopefully others will find this helpful. I was delighted when I discovered how much functionality I could get out of my MCU Pro and C4. Much more than I had gotten with Sonar.

I could send you the configuration files and drawings I have now, but I think you might find it a little frustrating or confusing to set up if I don’t take a few moments to put some documentation together on how to set up the routing in Bome MIDI Translator, C4 Commander, and Studio One 5.

Richard.

p.s. in the interim, if you want to chat via email or skype, let me know your email address somehow. (Is there a direct message capabilities on this forum?)

ericherrmann wroteHi Richard,

I am very very much interested in the information you provided!
I recently switched from Sonar to S1 and realised there was some support for my MCU Pro but not for the C4. I was very much disappointed about this and could not find any info on the possibility to make it work...until I came across this post.

I will investigate in your solution and would be very glad if you could share your configuration file.

Thanks a lot!
Eric

27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2