10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am attempting to lay down a drum beat using Impact along with a bass part and synth part using Presence. I got the drum beat recorded along with the synth and bass, but when I went to add a guitar part using my Akai MPK mini ii, when I hit the keys for the chord I wished to play, it sounded all the other instruments that I previously played and recorded. I'm at a loss why it is playing them all at one time. I think the instruments are activated on the midi controller and are tied to the new track I created. I only want to record a guitar part.

This has happened to me more than once and I usually set the song aside and start over, only for it to happen again. In addition, I have to "reconnect" my midi controller for it to work quite often. I hope that I'm overlooking a setting, rather than the thing actually disconnecting on me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 Professional - 14GB Ram - i5- 1TB - 64bit
Seagate external drive (1TB)
Studio One V.3 Professional
Presonus Faderport
Nektar Impact LX61
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
Tascam powered monitors
Audio Technica Condenser Mic
Shure SM57 & SM58 Dynamic Mics
PRS Custom P2 24
Gibson Epiphone bass
Taylor acoustic
Roland Cube 80GX
TC Helicon Voicelive3
by scottyo7 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:39 pm
Ensure you select a new/different instance of your instrument (Presence) on each track.
Presence Bass preset on one track.
Presence Drum preset on another track.
Presence Synth preset on yet another track.
Rinse and Repeat... ;)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by GreatExpectations on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:57 pm
If you set your MPK as "standart instrument" all your new tracks will automatically be triggered by that instrument and if you have the blue "listen" button activated, you might here multiple instruments at the same time.
by billyglenjr on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:47 am
scottyo7 wroteEnsure you select a new/different instance of your instrument (Presence) on each track.
Presence Bass preset on one track.
Presence Drum preset on another track.
Presence Synth preset on yet another track.
Rinse and Repeat... ;)

Thank you. I'm almost certain I have been doling this each time, but I will double check and make I'm doing it right. Thanks!

Presonus Faderport
Nektar Impact LX61
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
Tascam powered monitors
PRS Custom P2 24
Gibson Epiphone bass
Taylor acoustic
Roland Cube 80GX
TC Helicon Voicelive3
by billyglenjr on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 am
GreatExpectations wroteIf you set your MPK as "standart instrument" all your new tracks will automatically be triggered by that instrument and if you have the blue "listen" button activated, you might here multiple instruments at the same time.

I just went into my Song and noticed that indeed, all the other tracks had the monitor clicked and they were all blue. As you mentioned, when they are in "listen" mode, then when I press a key on my MPK, it plays all the instruments, But when I disable them, they drop off. I think I got confused in thinking that in order for me to hear the previous tracks being played, so I could add a guitar part, the monitor button needed to be pressed so they would play back. I just recorded a guitar part and it worked!

Also, I selected the Monitor button for each track and just recorded using Presence with a guitar sound attached to it. Interestingly, (and I think I understand better now) it only recorded the guitar, rather than the other parts (although) I could hear them. I'm confused on why this is happening, but is probably because I am ignorant when it comes to MIDI in general.

I'm confused about how and why and when to press the monitor button. I'm going to read up on it and thanks a million for taking the time to help me out!

On a side note, is it common to have to "reconnect" your midi device each time you power up your computer and open a Song to begin working on it. I am having to constantly "reconnect" mine in the Configure External Devices tab.

Presonus Faderport
Nektar Impact LX61
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
Tascam powered monitors
PRS Custom P2 24
Gibson Epiphone bass
Taylor acoustic
Roland Cube 80GX
TC Helicon Voicelive3
by GreatExpectations on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:01 pm
The midi device should be connected before you start studio one, then you don't have to reconnect it. You click the monitor button to monitor your input. You click the record button to record on the selected track / instrument. If you want to record 2 tracks at the same time, you have to activate record on both of them, just "hearing" the input doesn't help.
by billyglenjr on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:28 am
GreatExpectations wroteThe midi device should be connected before you start studio one, then you don't have to reconnect it. You click the monitor button to monitor your input. You click the record button to record on the selected track / instrument. If you want to record 2 tracks at the same time, you have to activate record on both of them, just "hearing" the input doesn't help.

I make sure that it is always connected prior to starting up and leave it connected all the time. I think I was getting monitor confused with playback. I will remember that it is for monitoring my input, rather than output. I meant that I am having to constantly go into S1 on the home page and click on configure external devices, choose my Akai controller, the click on "reconnect". I was not meaning that I am physically "reconnecting" the device at the usb port. The good thing I suppose, is that I have now just integrated this into my workflow, and although inconvenient, I can at least record, I just have to remember to "reconnect" everytime I record again, or switch anything. It literally disconnects constantly, but fortunately, not while I am playing the Akai and recording. It stays on during this, but once I exit, change instruments, tracks so on and so forth, or restart my computer I have to reconnect it through the "configure external devices" link. I think maybe it is a Windows issue with a bus or driver, or is an inherent issue with USB. Either way, or no way, It's beyond my understanding at this point and I'm sure I've bored you to death so I'll stop rambling. Thanks again man for your help. Have a good one.

Presonus Faderport
Nektar Impact LX61
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
Tascam powered monitors
PRS Custom P2 24
Gibson Epiphone bass
Taylor acoustic
Roland Cube 80GX
TC Helicon Voicelive3
by jamesgablick on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm
I see this thread is old, but I had this same problem in SI5. Maybe this will be helpful for someone.
Recording a string bass part, after recording a piano guide track(string arrangement). When I tried to record the string part, the piano instrument sounded also. It only recorded the string sound, but annoying as hell! Frustration trying to find an answer. I'd done this before and it wasn't any of the typical things mentioned that might cause this issue. Per chance, I changed the piano patch and the problem went away. Go figure?
by davidmarshall19 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:07 pm
My first message here. I'm new to S15. I'm coming to the DAW from years of using Sonar products. I experience this issue as well.

I laid down a drum part by loading samples into Impact. Sounds great. Went to add a synth bass part but when I press the keys on my Novation controller, I hear not only the bass but a drum sample as well. I have the monitor button turned off as far as I know. Like I said, I'm still new to it. I'm really digging the high-quality instruments that come with S1. Still not a fan of the editing tools but that'll take some getting used to.
by philarmstrong on Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 pm
Presonus support were very helpful with this: set direct input to none

10 posts
Page 1 of 1